How Do I Repair the Binding on a Book?

Where can I get the cover to an old family bible rebound. The front cover is cracked on the edge and is falling off. I would like to repair it correctly instead of just taping it.

By RocknChr from Ord, NE

Best Answer

Repairing a broken book binding is fairly easy, although please check that you are not damaging a first edition.

Valuable books should be repaired by a professional.

Before you decide which method to use you need to examine the book. Hold the book open with the hinge facing you. If the end papers are still attached to the text block you can do a simple repair to tighten the hinge.

Tools for the job:

PVA glue

A metal rod or knitting needle

Waxed paper

A book press or heavy object.

Method:

Stand the book on end, holding it open. Dip the metal rod/ knitting needle in the glue and push the rod down each side of the hinge. Twist the rod so the glue spreads evenly. Now turn the book over and repeat the process.

Insert the waxed paper inside the end pages to stop any excess glue from sticking to the pages and place in the book press or put a heavy object on top of the book. Leave it over night to allow the glue to dry.

For less valuable books you can simply use cellotape but this does tend to form a lump and will stop the book from closing properly.

I suggest taking it to a used book store. The owner will have had plenty of experience with this sort of problem and be able to possibly help you out personally, but if not he/she would for sure know who in town could help you.

Good luck!

See if your local librarian is willing to help you out and do the repair.

My husband recently had a book repaired by a bookbinder. Look in your yellow pages.

You might want to do the repair yourself, since having repairs done on a Bible can be much more expense than the value of the Bible! I hope you have great success repairing the Bible or in finding someone to do that for you. I know about this type of expense, because many years ago I checked into it for my own Bible and decided I couldn't afford to have it professionally done.

Anonymous

The value of a Family Bible is irreplaceable so my suggestion is to have a professional book binder do the repair for you even if it is expensive. You can call or visit several with the Bible in hand for estimates and also ask them if they have examples of repairs they've done before.

ll your local library. Our library has a gal who repairs them for the library (they sent her to a class to learn how) and she now does some repairs on the side as well.