Use a "Magic Can" for Odds n' Ends

I have a 3 lb coffee can that I add all screws, pieces of blinds, wing nuts, lamp parts and "what have you" that are left over. For over 30 years now if I have needed something to hang a picture, anchor or screw I just look in the "MAGIC CAN" and there it is. My kids also have adopted this method and very few projects have to be stopped to go and buy the proper pieces.

By Julia

I have a drawer in my kitchen for ''odds and sods''. It's a bit of a mess but so useful.

It's a great idea. That reminds me so much of my dad. He had so many nuts, bolts, screws, nails; you name, he had it. However he kept them all seperated in jars and on a shelf over his work bench in the basement. He never had to step foot in a hardware store for over 25 years. Everything he owned as far as his tools, etc was inventoried in a notebook. When he passed away it was so easy for my mom to sell the items because he even wrote down the price he paid and what they would cost to buy "today".

Place a few magnets on the outside of the can to help distribute the small screws throughout the can, rather than sinking to the bottom. Or this might create a traffic jam, so maybe my idea is of limited help! It's a thought, tho. Minimizing trips to any store helps the budget. I try to center things around the house, too.

My dad would take 2- 2x4's long enough to hold 4 or 5 small pint mason jars spaced. Nail the wood together. Then nail the lids of the mason jars to that fixture on all 4 sides. Then put large nails in the ends so to be able to hand from ceiling of shop. Then fill mason jars with screws etc. and screw to the lids. Never had any shortage of nails, screws or anything that would fit into the jars.

Cluttered Garage
Organizing Clutter
Organizing Clutter ControlApril 29, 2004
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
Photo of three red bricks.
Craft Ideas for Bricks