Repair AdviceCars

Phantom Door Locking

Category Repair Advice

I have a 2007 GMC Envoy. The dealer's solution to phantom door locking has been to disconnect the mechanical linkage to the inside door lever. I'm concern with the possibility of needing to exit the locked drivers door in an emergency, having lost electrical power. I'm unsuccessful in dealing with GMC. Any advice?

Bob

I'm not sure I entirely understand your vehicle's problem but if the recommended solution could be dangerous, you need to speak to another mechanic!

Anonymous

Do you have a warranty? If not, what are your state laws? If you do have a warranty this item should be covered because it's a safety feature! Your dealership sounds like they don't know what the heck they are talking about! Call the GMC warranty 800# or the appropriate state consumer protection 800# and explain! Bottom line: SAFETY IS FIRST and it's not like you have a ten, twenty or thirty year old car for goodness sake! Push and demand replacement of the door locking mechanism which should be for free with a car that's only one year old!

My son is an auto technician and he said to tell you that the lock linkage and the door opening linkage are likely 2 separate things. He said it is highly unlikely that gmc would tell you something that would pose a risk to you - and the person you have been dealing with may not have the knowledge necessary to answer you. He also said there is really no such thing as "phantom" anything, that everything happens because of something, a wire or something else, and it is a matter of the fault being found.

His words are "there has never been in the history of the automobile a phantom problem; everything can always be explained". I don't know if this helps. Personally I would advise you to email the highest person at gmc you can find an address for and let them know about the lack of responsiveness to your problem.

In this day of economic crisis, they don't need bad publicity. My son also said you might do a search for and go to one of several auto forums and ask for advice there. Both my sons practically live on these forums, haha!

I had a 1995 Ford Ranger Pickup that I kept taking back to shop for odd electrical things. One time the service mgr. told me that I was running over get this; plastic grocery bags and getting them caught in the engine" we had just gotten to MO and I was mad but smiled got the paperwork for

repair and called my dad in San Diego, CA.

Ford was not thrilled when I called. Anyway my dad had a friend of his an attorney write a nice brief note explaining my problem. And DEMANDED that they take care of me or he would be forced to begin lawsuit. Within 2 weeks, I was handed a check for OVER the amount of pick up I owned. This had been going on for months and one letter from attorney and my check was ready. They even drove me to

another car lot where I had already shopped for my new vehicle. Good luck!