Drainage for a Sloping Vegetable Garden

I have dug out a vegetable patch and because it is on a slope the water runs down. I have dug a trench about 1 foot deep at the end so the soil doesn't slide down. Now what I would like to know is what can I put in the trench, eg. bricks, and what type. Thanks.

Michelle.

By Michelle

I have blocks around my raised bed garden. The soil stays in it, maybe you need to put blocks around it or on the side to keep the soil from running down hill. Do you have a picture we can see? Good luck.

I think bricks or cement blocks would be fine. Whatever keeps the dirt from moving, as I know this is a paint to replace it every spring. Here's more on vegetable beds:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/bigger-and-better-vegetables.shtml

You don't say how long your trench is so I don't know if you can use my advice. If it is to long you may want to only use half of it in this manner.

I would use the trench for your compost pile. I would line the trench with cinder blocks. Lay one layer on the bottom of the trench with smooth sides up ( so that the compost doesn't fall into the holes on the cinder blocks. You can then google compost piles and pick out the "recipe" that suits you best.

By doing this your compost is always right by your garden making it easy to use and making it easy to dispose of garden waste. Good Luck

I would purchase some sand, soil and peat, mix them, add them so the slope is slowly at an angle. I have this too, and by adding some ground plants or even naturalized plants, that helps with erosion. Mine were gloriosa and cone flowers. They fill in well.

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesOctober 18, 2009
Hand cleaning leaves out of rain gutters 2
Cleaning Gutters and Downspouts
Creating Adequate Drainage
Creating Adequate Drainage in Your Yard
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
front loader
Leveling a Sloped Yard
🎉
🎄