Leveling a Sloped Yard

Category Landscaping
front loader
A sloping yard may make that space unusable or create drainage or other problems. This is a guide about leveling a sloped yard.

How can I level my sloped front yard? Right now it is unusable space.

Donna from Middletown, NY

You didn't say how much of a slope there is but the front yard is sloped away from the house so rain water will run away from the house. Two ways of leveling the slope is to take dirt from the front of the house and move it to the lower part or have dirt trucked in and placed on the low end of the yard and then leveled. If it is a steep slope try to have some kind of a slope so rain water will run away from the foundation.

One shovelful at a time. If you are able, just start with a small area and dig, put in wheel barrow, and haul to a new location. I live in the country and have to do everything myself, no money for landscapers. I'd use railroad ties to hold dirt back on a steep slope. I've used these for this purpose before. How do you move a RR tie? Walk it, one end at a time. Tough life!

Our neighbors made a retainer wall at the front of their property with those shaped landscaping stones, then filled in with dirt behind it. Looks very nice. They added solar lights along the wall.

One good way to tell if it's level is after it rains -- is there water runoff or puddles...if so, need to keep fixing!

Here's a link to info on drainage --a little technical, but good info

http://www.oldh  iled/10286.shtml

If it is a steep slope, try making tiers, leveling each one as you go. Remember to leave a little slope for drainage away from the house.

In my front yard there is a slope from the wind blowing sand it is like a hill there is about about two are three truck loads too much and that is a big truck load. I need to get reed off not sure how or here i can take it:: how how much it will cost it make my front yard look trouble. I would like to level out my yard and put some kind of flower in the front yard and fix it to wear the sand wouldn't keep blowing in my front yard i thought of putting tree around the yard or a frence

I want to level a 10 by 12 foot area in my back yard. It has some tree roots and it has a slope. How do I begin to level it?

By Debra

Oh gee, I have the same problem and was hoping you might have had some other answers I could get ideas from. As it stands, I am slowly using a shovel to overturn the dirt with. It is so compacted it is like brick. I really haven't the funds to rent a rototiller which would be the best way to go about it.The only thing I can do at this time is keep using my shovel and do it by hand. It is so hard to do it that way too. Good Luck on yours