Getting Toddlers to Try New Foods

I often have my grandson at my house. Being a toddler, he is a picky eater. I came up with this idea when we were reading a book called "Eating a Rainbow", which was a book to help learn colors.

When Joshua eats a meal with us, I try to fit in at least three foods with different colors. Breakfast might be red strawberries, yellow eggs, and orange juice. Lunch might have blueberry muffins, red tomato soup, and yellow grilled cheese sandwiches.

We have fun together thinking of ways to make our meals more colorful and eat a rainbow. He is much more willing to try new foods this way and eat healthier.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

You are on the right track! The more "colors" you eat the more healthy nutrients you are getting. This was instilled in my son as he was growing up.

Once as a teenager we had a girlfriend over for dinner. She proved to be a "picky eater" and had very little of anything on her plate. My son spoke up and told her she didn't have enough "colors" on her plate. The look on her face was priceless...one of those "What ARE you talking about". Later as a bachelor he called me one night and told me not to worry because he was still eating his "colors". "Of course" he said, "I'm getting a lot of red right now, you know...Chef Boyardee". Priceless memories!

Picky Eater Boy
Parenting a Picky Eater
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler NutritionAugust 3, 2006
Easter Ideas for Toddlers
Easter Ideas for Toddlers
A toddler making cookies.
Helping Toddlers Do Things on Their Own
Homemade Educational Games
Homemade Educational Games for Toddlers
A parrot perched on a wooden dowel
Getting Your Parrot to Try New Foods
🎉
🎄