Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Trying To Dye Dark Hair Red

I just dyed my dark brown hair red the other day with Herbal Essence's Deep Red #44. The results turned out rather purple and not the deep red that i was hoping for. The hair color I want is similar to Julianne Moore's. Could you post some recommended hair dye (brand and color) that would work over my first dye job and give me good results?

Hi! from Seattle, WA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Claire (Guest Post)11/08/2008

I am a current hairdresser, and there is no need to go to a salon to fix it, (although it is a safe answer), but you have two options, if you simply want to cover up the purple you can just re-dye it with a dark brown to get it close to natural, or you could bleach the purple and put red or any other color over it. Go to a beaust supply store for the bleach, but the dye from CVS should be fine for the colored dyes.

By Claire (Guest Post)06/23/2008

My natural hair colour is dark chestnut brown "with natural highlights" (ie. some grey!). At the moment it is a very vibrant 'nuclear red' - think of a stoplight and you are in the right ballpark.

The retired hairdresser here basically gives you the best advice, but for the future, if you want the colour that's on the box and it's lighter than yours, prelighten it and then use a vegetable based colour on top. I'm sure there are better ways than that but that's what I do.

Unfortunately it's not a permanent dye and it's about 3 weeks before I need to do the roots. I get my dye from a website (in the uk) called beeunique.com. their service is excellent btw - and there is also a picture gallery on the site showing you the possible results (including mine!).

All the best

By Marsanna Ross [3]06/10/2008

Check out clariol.com or the 800 number. My sister once dyed her hair a strange color and they were the only ones that could help her. It doesn't matter what kind of dye you use, they will help. GOOD LUCK!!

By Anonymous [848]06/09/2008

As a retired hairstylist of 30 years, I would suggest you pay a professional to mend your problem and not mess with your hair color on your own again. At this point there is no way for a stranger to help you fix the mix without seeing your hair up close and personal. If you try stripping your hair and re-deposit color on your own without knowing levels, tones, etc., you might well end up with a further horror story :-(

By Nikki [2]06/05/2008

You are probably going to have to strip the color out of your hair and then redye it to get rid of the purplish results from your recent colring. I have dark brown hair and when I want to go with a drastic change in my hair color I have to bleach it, then dye it the color I am wanting. There are several brands of both products avaible, look with the hair dye to see what is avaible in your area.