Paper Star Pin
Making a star pin with paper and thread, raffia, and buttons.
Approximate Time: 30-60 minutes
- brown paper from bag
- raffia or ribbon
- scraps of fabric
- darning needle and crochet thread
- shellac or glue
- pin back
- magnet (optional)
- Find the shape you love, like this star. You can make a heart, cat or dog face, snowman, just about anything that you want to look country.
- Brush glue or shellac over the to pieces of paper you want to cut, then trace your shapes on the back after they dry. The glue will help make it strong and easy co cut.
- You will want to lay each layer on top of the other so your cut out can be done at the same time. This assures your shape sews together exactly the same.
- Cut out your shapes, and sew together with the needle and a single crochet thread, of a color that matches the other embellishments. This one is Americana colors, which are burgundy, tan, and navy.
- With the needle and thread, just do a binding stitch around the edges, and glue the end near or just under the pin back or magnet.
- Either put some thread through the buttons or leave them open, and glue them on. Glue on any other embellishments you want with the raffia.
- When dry, turn over and glue the pin back.
- Now, you can also make these into magnets, but if you do, glue the magnet to the back first, as it needs to lay on a flat surface. Then, do the front, and then sew them together.
- When done, put a last coat of shellac on the thread, too. Spraying will save time, but if you are only making one, I would go with the least mess and just brush on.
This star is just 2.5 inches from tip to tip, so it's perfect for a pin or magnet. You can make something bigger and make them into a mobile or wall hanging with some more raffia, thread, or ribbon.
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
February 21, 20090 found this helpful
How is it?
February 26, 20090 found this helpful
How is it what? Will be happy to answer any questions, just need to know what it is...Poor But Proud.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 5, 2016 at 9:43:16 PM on 10.0.2.63 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us