Skillet Handle Hot Pads

By Monica 296 58

A handy hot pad.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes Denim handle hot pads.

Denim handle hot pads.

Instructions:

1. Trace around your skillet or pan handle for a pattern. Add about 1 inch on your pattern for seam allowance before cutting fabric.
  2. Cut 2 pieces of denim from your pattern and 1 piece of your padding scraps either from a mattress pad or an old placemat.
  3. Sew bias tape on the opening ends before sewing wrong sides together, making sure you sandwich the pad in so it will be on one side only, on the inside when sewn and turned.
  4. Take the dowel and poke it in the center of the hot pad to make it a little easier to turn right side out.
  5. I found that the hot pads were too bulky to allow for turning right side out if I used 2 pieces of pad. I place the padded side on the bottom of the handle and it works great.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Showing: Comments Sort

By Nonniebo23 1 3 Flag

This is a really cute idea! If you find that the denim is a little bulky, why not try making the skillet holders in a slightly lighter material?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Monica 296 58 Flag

Thanks. I do know it would have been more practicle to use a lighter material, but I'm trying to recycle a mountain of denim! I challenge myself to come up with out of the ordinary denim projects.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Eileen M. 56 240 Flag

You could also sew them right sides OUT, with a decorative (zigzag or whatever) stitch, to obviate the need to turn the potholder.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Crafts SewingSeptember 7, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Hot Pad on White Background
Uses for Hot Pads
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
Crochet Hot Pads
Making Crochet Hot Pads and Trivets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:14:33 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings