Soy Massage Candle

This is the kind of candle you can burn, then pour on and use as a massage oil, or for rough spots like elbows and knees. Soy wax never gets extremely hot so you won't burn yourself! Great gift for Valentine's Day or anniversary.

• 1 cup soy wax
  • 2 tsp. cocoa butter
  • 2 tsp. almond or other light oil
  • 2 tsp. coconut oil (or shea butter if you have it)
  • 2 (125 ml) canning jars (or tins)
  • 2 wicks (for soy wax - lead free, for 2-3 inch diameter candles)
  • essential oils or fragrance (optional)

1. In a microwave, melt all ingredients on low, stirring often. Make sure the wax/oils don't get too hot!
  2. When melted, add 1/4-1/2 tsp. of essential oils (lavender, sandalwood, or ylang ylang are good ones (or a combination).
  3. Pour into containers and insert wicks in the middle.
  4. Set 24 hours, then it's ready to burn.

How to use: Let candle burn for awhile (20 minutes or so?) until enough of it is melted to pour onto the body. Try not to pour too close to the skin. It will be quite warm, but it won't burn you. Enjoy!

Source: this is my own craft recipe

By Lisa from Halifax

Hi Lisa,

This sounds so interesting! But I have a few question that I hope you can help me with please:

Where do you buy soy wax?

Where would I buy the kind of wicks you mention?

Can you use these candles just for burning and scenting a room?

Thanks in advance! I think you're right; these would make perfect, personal Valentines day gifts, and also gifts for showers, Christmas, etc.

Soy wax can usually be purchased at craft stores but try ebay too! It always comes in pellet form. Just remember not to replace the soy with parrafin because that will burn your skin! Soy doesnt get as hot :)

Soy candle in a glass jar.
Making Soy Massage Candles
Crafts Candle MakingDecember 26, 2007
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
Homemade Massage Oil
Homemade Massage Oil
A person giving a dog a massage.
Name Ideas for a Dog Massage Business
Recipes Using Soy