What Can I Use for Candle Molds?

Category Molds
You can use a wide variety of containers as candle molds. It is also fun to make candles in items such as tea cups, shells, etc. This is a guide about, "What can I use for candle molds?".

I'm a starving college student and I love crafts and want to start making candles, but I don't want to purchase molds. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use instead?

Also, how the heck do you insert the wick?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

First, you can use almost anything as a mold. Second, you insert the wick first, then pour your wax in. If you are using a can, a small hole in the bottom, your wick can go thru, take the rest of the wick, twist around a pencil or dowel & lay across the top; pour in wax. I suggest you get a book on making candles from a local craft store. Its easy & fun. You can also use the Glade glass candles, save them & clean them as they are reusable.

Best Answer

We use milk cartons, anything with the waxy inside will work. Half and half containers, fancy coffee creamer containers etc.

Good Luck,
Gem

Best Answer

You can get going real quick and save a lot of money by asking friends and relatives, neighbors, etc. etc. to save the stubs, bits and pieces from all the candles they are ready to toss out. [ save them in a small box for me please!].
When you have enough:
- cut them into bits, chunks whatever sizes work.
- prepare any molds your going to use by spraying inside gently with cooking oil spray. [don't make drippy]
- invest in a roll of wicking, if you cant get any through some nice person on "freecycle.com" and
- feed a bit of wicking through a flat button to weigh it down in the mold [old juice, tetra-packs, milk cartons etc. cut down etc

- wrap extra wicking around a pencil, tape it and lay it across the top of the mold to hold wick straight up through middle of mold
- load in the chunks of old candle bits
- ** you can add a pretty seashell, stone, or trinket as a gift also, indicate on a note that: this is a treasure candle
- melt down enough wax, [colour by adding a kids crayon or two] to fill the mold
- fill mold, let cool till you have to unwrap it. Don't rush this, let if get there on its own time.

And you're done.

Best Answer

I don't use molds. I collect pretty teacups, coffee mugs of different themes, gravy boats, etc. from garage sales. Usually no more than a quarter. I buy old damaged candles or even unused taper candles from garage sales also, free recycled wicks included. I sort by color. I melt the candles in a old crock pot (garage sale item ) that I line with a crock pot bag. Save the bags, they can be used over and over. I only change for different colors. Works great! Great gift and people love them.