Making Candles

Category Candle Making
Candle making has evolved from a necessity to a pleasant handicraft that many of us enjoy today. This is a guide about making candles.

Candle making is an OUTDOOR activity. Yep. Ask any fireman. If you heat wax on a stove, and kids or the phone sidetrack you, and the wax overheats or boils over, you might as well have a major firebomb go off in the kitchen.

The closed lid of a barbecue works fine, so does a cheap single element electric hot-plate, or an electric frying pan. With an electric frying pan you can even set the temperature. It is quite safe to put different cans with different colors of wax side by side onto the electric frying pan. Pyrex measuring pitchers are fine too.

For "all" candle making, except sand candles, use the lowest temperature at which all the wax melts. Otherwise it shrinks too much when it cools, and you wind up with air pockets and other problems.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com

This is a guide about making candles from old candle wax. Save your scrap candle wax and use it to make new candles; it is a thrifty and green way to have lots of them around your home.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Craftbits1 found this helpful

Add some cinnamon next time your making candles. It gives off a lovely fragrance as well as a rustic look to your candles.

Materials:

Instructions:

Follow your normal candle making procedures then prior to pouring spoon in some ground cinnamon or add 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil.

Suitable molds Are:

Purchased mold specifically for candle making or household items that are flexible and will release the hardened candle, some of these are: Light weight plastic molds like Bowls or cups, Polystyrene cups where it can be torn away from the hardened candle, Milk Or Drink Cartons, etc.

How to melt the Wax:

Place your required wax amount into the heavy Pan and place it on the heat. Slowly heat the pan till all the wax in your pot melts. Don't allow the wax to get too hot.

Adding the Dye:

Once you have melted your wax you can add your dye, add a small amount at a time as it is very strong. Note: When dried the color is much lighter

Getting the wick ready:

Dip your wick several times into the melted wax to give it a Wax coating to insure even burning.

Getting the mold ready:

Start by cutting down your milk carton so that your candle mold is of appropriate size for the candle (or use another mold).

Next, attach your wick to a pencil or length of wood that will sit across the top of your candle mold (the top is the open end).

Next, make a small hole in the bottom of the carton to thread your wick through. Pull it tight so that the wick from the pencil to outside of the carton is firm. A loose wick will cause your candle to have problems burning later on.

Now stick down the wick at the bottom with some sticky tape, then using a piece of Blu-tack or plastercine, close up the hole so no wax can seep out.

Pouring your wax:

Be careful that you do not spill the wax onto yourself and gently pour the wax into the mold. Fill it to the top but save a small amount for top ups, then allow to cool.

Cooling the candle:

As it cools you will notice that the top will sink inwards, pour a small amount of wax on top of this to fill it up. And continue to allow to cool.

Removing the mold:

If it is a breakable mold then just pull it off. If it is plastic and doesn't just slip out then run the outside of the mold in hot water, this will melt the outside wax that is helping it to adhere to the mold and it should just slip out.

Finishing it off:

If your mold it not flat at the bottom then place it directly onto a hot pan service and melt it down flat to tidy it up and finish it off.

To make candles burn brightly, soak the wicks in vinegar. By Jazzlyn Editor's Note: This also appears to make candle wicks last longer as well. And apparently also works with lantern wicks.

This is a guide about making an orange candle. You can make a neat little candle out of an orange peel.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Gel candles can make wonderful little decorations for around your home. This is a guide about making homemade gel candles.

You can use a wide variety of containers as candle molds. It is also fun to make candles in items such as tea cups, shells, etc. This is a guide about, "What can I use for candle molds?".

You can use essential oils to add your favorite scents to homemade candles. This is a guide about homemade candle scents.

This is a guide about making coffee bean candles. Adding whole coffee beans while making a candle will allow you to enjoy the aroma of coffee every time you burn it.

This is a guide about making homemade candle wicks. Whether trying to save money, or because you enjoy coming up with alternatives to purchased wicks, making your own candle wicks can be fun and creative.

This is a guide about making jelly jar candles. You can make beautiful candles using recycled jelly jars.

Does anyone know how to make indoor ice candles? Not the real ice candles for outdoors.

Crafts4Life from Louisville, Ky

Answers

By Sherry (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We used to melt old candles or parafin wax in an old tin can (or old pot you wouldn't be using for food) over boiling water and pour it in a clean milk carton that we had put a taper candle in, surrounded by crushed ice. You can melt old crayons in the wax to color them. The wax hardens around the ice pieces and makes really neat lacy looking designs and you peal the milk carton away once it cools. Make sure you do this somewhere "waterproof", because it can be pretty messy once the wax melts the ice. It's a good way to get rid of old candles and crayons. Using a taper is easier than trying to set a wick in it.

I vaguely remember making candles where we would drip a colored candle, crayon, or some material onto another bigger candle. The end result was this candle with all different colored "drops" all the way around and down the sides. They were so pretty.

Thing is, I cannot remember what we were dripping onto the candle or how we did it. Does anyone remember ever doing this and how and with what? This was probably back in the late 70s or early 80s when we would make these. Thanks.

By Misty from VA

Answers

What I used to do was use a melted colored wax, and take an old spoon and dribble the colored wax down the sides, all the way around. I can remember making a yellow candle with green drips all the way around. Basically they look like a different colored candle was inside and melted, leaving the drippings on the outside.

Anonymous

In the late 60's/early 70's we used to take different colors of taper candles and hold them over the edges of a pillar candle and let the burning taper wax flow on to the outer edges of the pillar.

We use to take wax crayons and melt the on the outside of baby food jars and then use a regular votive candle inside the jar.

Hi, I remember we used to put a tall white candle in a glass bottle (wine bottle or similar). Then we would light colored candles and as they melted we would hold them over the one in the bottle and let it drip down over the candle and the bottle. Hope this was what you were looking for. Have fun, Pat

I am looking for the easiest way to make candles. Thank you.

By joyce from Swansea, MA

Answers

The absolute easiest is to find candle wax that comes in little chips or beads, pour it into a suitable container, then add a wick. These items are available at craft shops.

Craft shops have lots of candle-making supplies, so you can pick the ones with the easiest instructions. That's how I found out about the wax beads.

Did this for vacation Bible School - buy the block wax. Chip it up a bit and then put in an old camping coffee pot. Put that pot in a larger pot of hot water. We used an electric skillet with about 1 inch of water in it. We used pint milk cartons, made intentions in sand, paper cups (all sizes- you then peel away the paper. We used the prepared wicks with little metal tabs on bottom, just put in the "container" and slowly pour the wax. Use crayons bits to color, fun and easy for the kids! With supervision!

Has anyone ever heard of "whipped candles"? When I was 14, my friend's mom used to use a large mixture to make these "textured" candles. She would sell them to make money for the holidays. I remember them like it was last week. Except I don't remember how she got it so "textured". Any info would be great! Thanks

Patti from Plainville, CT

Answers

By Debra Frick (Guest Post)

She let the candle wax cool just a little bit and used an old fashioned egg beater the hand crank type not your electric mixer to beat it up. Then depending on your candle you can dip it in the whipped wax or spoon it on top for the foam on the top of a beer candle or the foam from a root beer float. Hope this helps.

By Sandy (Guest Post)

I use a hand held electric mixer to whip the wax. Use an old one though, because you won't be able to use the mixer for anything but wax after this. Just whip until it gets frothy and spread it onto the candle with a butter knife or the back of a spoon. I made a beautiful unity candle for my sister using this method. I'm going to ask her to send me a picture of it if she can.
Sandy from Pittsburgh

I am having a problem with soy candle wax adhering to sterling sliver (antique sugar and creamer cups). What can I do to fix this?

Answers

To get the old wax out, stick the whole thing in the freezer overnight. The candle will pop out with a little coaxing. Before you put the candle back in the holder, spray or wipe the candleholder with cooking oil. Just a light coating will do

Does anyone know where I can get cheap candle making kits? I have collected a bunch of beer bottles and other types of used glass bottles from my fridge and cupboard and wanted to make a ton of candles for the winter time (to line the yard with candles for Christmas instead of using paper bags).

By Loleini

Answers

I would try Ebay. Just type in Candle making kits. I just buy wax by the bulk and also buy the wicks the same way, also the scents.

When making candles: after the wax melts I put my dye chips in. Once that is melted I add scent. Then I pour it into the molds and I take them out the next day. They smell good, but when I burn them there's no scent.

What am I doing wrong? I want to get this right. I only do decorative candles, such as photo candles, heart candles, and fabric candles which are for decorating only. Is there an additive I need to put in it?

Thank you. I hope you can give me some kind of help.

By Sandra

Answers

Check that the wax is not too hot and evaporating the scent x.

I have a question, and I hope I have found the right category for this. Does anyone know where I can find those mini cast iron skillets? I am referring to the tiny ones that you can pour a candle into. I have called the craft stores in my area and everyone says they don't have them. Any suggestions other than eBay? Thanks in advance.

By kelly82 from TX

Answers

I have two that I use to make egg Mc Muffins. I got them at a cooking store in the mall.

I recently started making candles again. My question is after the wax has hardened and I release the wax from the mold, there is a white haze on top of the wax. I tried and remelted the wax on a lower temp. thinking the wax was too hot when poured, but I got the same results. Any tips on how to fix this? Thank you.

Dana from Newkensington, PA

Answers

By JANE (Guest Post)

It might have something to do with the temp of the mold b4 you pour the wax. I've found, in my years of pouring, that there is never a perfect scenerio. It's kinda like making candy. No two batches turn out the same. Besides, if it doesn't affect the performance of the candle, why worry? I have many candles with a haze all over them. After some detective work, I found it's really just another small flaw that is actually popular!! Pour on sister, pour on!!

I am looking for an easy way to make candles. I cannot use soy because my husband is allergic to it. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Jamish from Leoti, Kansas

Answers:

Easy Candle Making Instructions

Do not make candles with a group of children. An adult with 2 children is OK.

Get wax. Either buy a block from a craft store, or melt down a big old white candle that you don't want anymore. (If you use a colored candle, all the colors will mix together, and you might get puce!) Buy candle wick from the crafts store, too. I've used string and it burns poorly.

Use a big coffee can to melt the wax in. Smash the top a bit to make a spout. Put it in a pan of boiling water and melt the wax. This keeps the wax from getting too hot, and protects your nice pan from a nasty coat of wax that is no fun to remove.

Find a mold. Disposable food containers are good, especially if they have no seams. Tie your wick around a pencil and put the pencil on top of the mold so that the wick falls down the center of your mold. When your wax is melted, you can color it by dropping in wax crayons. Pour melted wax into your mold and wait for it to get completely cooled off.

There are all sorts of ways to vary this, but I won't spoil the fun for you by telling you how. Just be sure not to put glass or metal things into a candle. I almost set my house on fire by putting marbles in a candle!

Have a blast. (04/17/2008)

By londa