Cat Got Into the Garbage

Help, Goblin did it again! She is rotten to the core, the runt of the litter, jet black and even has a wart on her ear! We got her on Halloween. She is a true Trash Cat, and is very hard to keep out of the kitchen trash. I have yet to get the bleach spray bottle thing going, to keep her out of it.

Last night she got a hold of the meat inserts I threw away. You know, the padded liners you find under your store-bought meat that absorbs the yuck. So, do you think she can pass that stuff? It's pretty much impacted tissue paper right? Anyone know if a vet visit can be avoided?

Dede from Macon, MO

I'd give her a good dose of hairball med. and put the garbage can in a closed cabinet.

Why don't you put the rubbish somewhere she can't get into it?

I would watch the litter box and her closely and call a vet to ask what you should do. It doesn't cost for over the phone advice. My meat liners have plastic in them, I hope yours are just paper for Goblins sake. Maybe you can leave dry food and water out for her so she doesn't get hungry and go for the garbage can. Get a garbage can with a locking lid!

I use a Large Popcorn Can lined with a plastic grocery sack, for any foods and keep the lid on tightly until trash pickup day. It does the trick because it not only stops kitchen odors but is double bagged in the plastic sack. If REALLY stinky, I triple bag it, and tie it tightly before placing it into the garbage sack/can for pickup outside.

We had a time with the neighbor's Ridgebacked large dog, named Crash. About once a month he gets out of their yard over their three foot high gate! We always have Crash in OUR Trash,regardless, and we have to pick it up ourselves to keep the peace with them. See, it could be much worse!

Also, my black cat has feline tapeworms and must be kept in one of the bathrooms most of the time until well. She learned how to climb up the 4 ft. wood paneling and tear the 6" wallpaper border trimming almost completely off!

I hope our troubles make yours seem more bearable? LOL

God bless and help you. : )

If not moving your garbage. try this one works for Chipmunks on outside house plants. Put Cajun pepper on the garbage. The only thing will do to her is give her a hot mouth. Can water down the Cajun pepper and put in spray bottle. Works

The hairball medicine is a good idea. Give her plenty of water for about 48 hours, the hairball medicine, and if you are feeling brave attempt to get some corn oil down her throat with a small syringe with no needle of course (pharmacies generally give these away if you ask). Also try to get her playing so that she will get stuff "moving." You can also give her some "kitty crack" catnip which is actually an herb that has been used for a long time to help with intestinal problems, and impaction it can work very well.

If after the 48 hours nothing has happened CALL YOUR VET! This could become serious. I would really figure out a way to put a locking lid on the garbage can, too bad they don't make one with a cats only sensor on it that sprayed water automatically.

I hope you didn't mean bleach spray bottle, and just meant spray bottle? Also, cats hate the scent of lemons, so you can get "stick ups" in that scent and put it near or on the inside of the lid. I would disposal every food thing I can, so that your trash doesn't attract her/him. Good luck.

Use VINEGAR in a spray bottle to spray at the cat ...It will lick its wet fur and hate the taste!!

Please call your vet for advice on Goblin swallowing the garbage. Keep us up to date and good luck!

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

My trash is in a drawer. First we rubber-banded the drawer handle with the drawer above to keep the cat out. Soon that didn't work and we wire-tied them together. We tried a child lock for cabinets, but could not attach the part to the inside of the drawer to line up properly. So then we tried industrial strength velcro. Then even we couldn't open the darned thing. For a while we put a chair in front of the drawer, but that really wasn't convenient.

THEN I bought one of those security devices you put under a door handle to keep the door from being opened. I got the smallest one possible and for the first time in two years the cat is no longer able to figure out how to pull the drawer open and crawl in for discarded treasures!

I sincerely hope your cat is okay, and if by any chance your trash in built into a drawer as well, try the security stick!

I have the same problem with two cats and a sneaky poodle. Try sprinkling the yummy trash with cayenne pepper. Works every time!

For my dog, if I have meat trays or other interesting stuff, it goes in the big outdoor garbage can immediately.

Cats HATE the scent of citrus. Orange peels or orange oil sprinkled around should do the trick.~Janette~

UPDATE ON GOBLIN:

Alive and well after pooing outside the litter box a very firm turd, actually six of 'em! lol

Trasharina, as we have been calling her has had no untoward effects and is now OUT of the trash!

Yes I used straight bleach in a spray bottle to keep her out, don't worry, I watched to be sure she was averted to the smell and not licking up the toxic stuff. She walked up once and pawed the edge, took a whiff and was gone!!

As for keeping the trash out of reach, I have no cabinet to put it in as we have two kids, and generate our fair share of garbage, however I do put food yuck in an ice cream pail, but it goes out to the dog so I can't put things like chicken casserole incrusted foil, and meat tray liners in it....... hence, the kitten's love for the garbage can.

The bleach has worked so well I don't even see the claw marks on the rim of the bag anymore!

Thanks for all the stories and help. Me and mine laughed at you.... I mean with you!

Dedesworkshop Dede Smith

The easy and simple way to solve this is keep your garbage away from the cat. Put it under the sink in a cabinet and protect your cat! It's a very simple thing to do.

Animals respond to different deterents in different ways. You can use citrus, moth balls, solutions of pepper spray, etc but they are all labor intensive and none will be as effective as storing your garbage properly.

Is your cat hungry? I have always kept a bowl of dry cat food out at all times. If you do, maybe he doesn't like it? The only time I had a problem is when I used a diet type dog food for our dog and she didn't like it and would get into the trash. When I changed the food, she stopped raiding the kitchen trash can.

Cat in Knocked Over  Trashcan
Keeping Pets Out of Trash
Pets CatsJanuary 20, 2009
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
🎉
🎄