Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House

Squirrels chew on a variety of things to deal with the constant growth of their teeth. However, when they begin to use you house for this activity you will want to take action. This is a guide about keeping squirrels from chewing on a house.

Is there anything that can be put in paint to keep squirrels from eating the wood on the house?

By J. Wade

Arsenic?!

Live trap them. Then dispose of properly. Red squirrels are the worst! They will get into the house and eat on the wires. Fire hazard! We catch them, toss a trash bag over the trap, spray in starter fluid from the can. Put them to sleep permanently. I don't like pellet guns, our neighbors use them. A gray squirrel caught is released.

You should see what the reds did to our garage. Tore the insulation off the walls and stuffed the tool drawers full. They will get under your hood of the car and make a mess of wiring too. In the winter, start the car, BOOM BOOM under the hood. Got one. MESS!

Good answer , but hope the kids don't chew it too. HA.

Squirrel Damage Stopped by softening several jars of Vaseline in large bowl, stirring in several jars of powdered cayenne pepper, and troweling along edge of roof where they where hanging over trying to reopen a hole they had used to get into eaves for years. Since it is winter now the corner of the house is still nicely covered by the inch thick smear. If they even touch it they will be chased away by the burning quality of the pepper and the Vaseline has been keeping it there for several weeks now. This is our variation on the old advice to spray the area with liquid hot sauce and to keep repeating because it washes off. So far this is lasting and we are so relieved to see no new efforts or holes by those rascally squirrels.

I read some of the questions about squirrels. I have one or two that are chewing the paint off my garage door and have chewed part of the door frame. What can I do to stop them? I don't think moth balls would help outdoors.

By Trouble from Indianapolis, IN

I would buy a have a hart trap to trap the critters and then take them at least 10 miles away and release them. I had squirrels getting inside my garage and eating the wood in one location to get outside. I bought the trap at a hardware store for about $30.

We had squirrels in our attic. They were going up on the big wires to the central h/a. I got some hot sauce, put it all around & on the wires. It stopped them, they do not like hot stuff, good luck.

Got a dog?

I was going to say the thing about the pepper. I have used cayenne, black, ground peppers, with dry hot mustard. I'd mix it dry & then sprinkle it around. It works on all kinds of animals. If that didn't work, I'd mix the pepper mustard mix & soak it in water. Let set & strain & spray the liquid. Most animals have good noses & lick themselves. The smell usually keeps them away all my itself most the time.

Urinate on the places

How do I keep squirrels from chewing on a white pine log house, mainly the corners that stick out about 8 inches. The house is stained, but does not make any difference.

By Hank E