Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Attic

Squirrels going through fascia board into attic.
Squirrels can be entertaining as they scamper about your garden. If they decide to move into your attic, they can cause serious damage to house wiring and insulation. Additionally, they will contaminate the area with urine and feces. This is a guide about keeping squirrels out of your attic.

We weren't aware of the tenacity of squirrels when they are trying to get into your home looking for food until we bought a cottage on a lake. My father-in-law told us to always leave the toilet lid down when we were away to keep the squirrels out. Yeah, right, I thought. Then we returned one weekend to find a squirrel which had drowned in one of the toilets. They get into those little roof pipes which connect to the toilets, come down, and then scamper about destroying everything in their way trying to get out again.

We also had nests built in our free-standing steel fireplace on two different occasions. They were trapped in there and we didn't discover them until we opened the lid to insert wood for a fire. Good thing we had the door closed. We added a wire screen over the top of the chimney to prevent another intruder. Our neighbors had one which destroyed the window grids in their kitchen trying to escape. Hope this will be of some use to you wise readers.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

I have squirrels nesting in my attic. My husband nosed around up there one day and found that they've been chewing through our phone and electrical lines, a huge fire hazard! Does anyone have any suggestions on humane ways to drive them away?

Regina F.

Anonymous

Rubber snakes bought from a discount or dollar store will scare them away. I have placed them in my planters that they dig in and also under by BBQ grill where they get into the grease catcher cup. It's working!

put a few boxes of moth balls in your attic the squirrels hate the smell

You might call your county animal control to see if they can lend you a trap. If not, try using a "Have A Hart" trap, they are easy to set and you can release the animal outside. Then you need to make necessary repairs so they will not return.

We are overrun with squirrels in our yard and my husband traps and releases them about a mile away in a park or field. They are destructive to fruit trees.

Syd Barr

Dunkirk, MD

Anonymous

My landlady and I had the same problem, so we contacted our local humane society for some assistance. Their wildlife department had highly recommended this man's business to us: "A Better Deal Animal Control, Inc." His name is Dave Gallanis,and he does fast, humane removal and relocation of the animals. He also does prevention and exclusion work and installs chimney caps.

We were very happy with the results he gave us. He gave us a total of twelve visits and he charged us $150.00.

This price also included the use of several different traps and the bait to help entice the animals into the traps. He removed several squirrels and raccoons from our crawl space attic, and he stopped by our house everyday for twelve days straight.

He is located in New Berlin, Wisconsin and his phone number is (414)282-3700. Dave does excellent work and he was also the most reasonable in price. Other pest removal places charged for each individual visit, and they all don't treat the animals in a humane manner. I highly recommend him. - Kitty Wuerl

By guest client (Guest Post)

hi. my name is mike. i'm having problems with the squirrels going into the bird aviary. how can i get rid of the squirrels with rubber snakes? do i hang the snakes on trees,fences,or the bird aviary itself?can you help me out ? thank you.

mike

We created a new request for Mike so that it will get noticed. It can be found here: http://www.thri  f819814.tip.html

I had the same problem and a friend suggested I "borrow" a cat to put up there for one day... (of course leave some water and food for the cat) - put the cat up into the attic in the morning, take him out in the evening) do this for 2 days and the problem is solved!! They fear cats tremendously, and the smell of the cat will drive them away... it worked for me!

We had same problem in our house. Were told that if trapped, the critters must be removed at least 12-miles away; and you will only trap about 10% of squirrels in your neighborhood. Others will follow the scent of previous squirrel residents. What a life they have - free roof over their head, heating, cooling, comfortable flooring in the form of insulation, and tasty snacks in the form of electric and phone wiring, and possibly carrying diseases. I concider them rodents with cute tails.

Please visit us at www.squirrelevictor.com....We at Evictor Products have a product called the "Squirrel Evictor". It uses a high intensity strobe light that annoys their sensitive eyes and removes them from a residence safely and harmlessly. It is a more humane method of eviction that will make trapping squirrels obsolete! It is cheaper and more efficient than trapping.

GARLIC. Minced garlic around their entry sites. A squirrel got into my attic through the soffit and set up house. Minced garlic put into the attic at the soffit area finally drove it out. I used an extension pole with a light bulb-changing cone on the tip. I tied a string to a knot in the bottom of the inside of a narrow plastic bag. I put the bag into the cone and secured the top of the bag to the pole. I then filled the bag that was tucked into the cone with minced garlic, then raised that end into the soffit, then pulled the string and that dumped the garlic into the attic. If the garlic pieces are bigger than minced, the squirrel will just bat them into the insulation and bury them there.

I have been working on garlic vs. mouse. Mouse leaves, but returns after 3 weeks. Pepper sauce aids the garlic. I'll try peppers in vinegar in a spray bottle for the holes where plumbing gives access to the house. Then I'll stuff those holes with Spic 'n Span steel wool.

We had squirrels in our attic last fall and were told to put moth balls. We put several boxes of moth balls in the attic. The squirrels stayed - WE had to move out of our home for a few days, but they didn't seem to mind the moth ball smell. We had a moth ball smell for 3-4 months - it was bad! We ended up putting metal plates on the places where they chewed their way in to the cedar on our house. They are back! Going to plan B---

We have squirrels in between our kitchen ceiling and bedroom upstairs, we do not know how they are coming in but do know they go onto the roof. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep them out besides trapping them. The electronic Pest Control units do not seem to work, I have 3 of them.

From Anna in Maine

Here's some tips from another site...

realtytimes.com:

"I can say with some certainty that as long as there are plenty of food sources out of doors and the weather is warm, rodents will remain outside. As the weather turns cooler, they'll check into any motel that will have them.

Set up roadblocks. Seal access to your house with sheet metal, steel wool or cement, especially around vents, pipes and ducts. Make sure windows and doors close properly. Keep garbage in sturdy cans with tight-fitting lids.

Remove nesting materials such as newspapers and boxes from the walls and off the floors. Store firewood, lumber and building supplies away from buildings and at least a foot off the ground.

Trim bushes and hedges away from the house and clean up plant debris to prevent nesting.

Baits should be put in low-traffic areas such as basements, garages and attics. Once they consume the bait, mice leave the area to die.

Set the bait in dark corners -- behind the stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer. In fact, put the bait in as many places as possible without endangering children and pets.

Check the bait frequently and discard any that's wet and contaminated. Check to see whether a large amount was consumed. If so, increase it, because the rodent infestation is bigger than you thought.

Put traps in high-traffic areas. If mice aren't caught in four or five days, move the traps. Peanut butter, nuts and cheese are effective baits for mousetraps.

If the bait and traps have remained undisturbed for 15 days, it is likely that the problem is solved."

Source: http://realtyti  031009_mouse.htm

Here's another link that may help

http://www.unexco.com/SQ1.html

By guest client (Guest Post)

shoot them when you see them they taste good too

It is against the law in most states to kill or poison them.. I have to put out RAT poison cubes to help control my Tree rat problem however the squirrels keep eating it and dying! they seem to love the taste!

What natural or homemade product can I use to keep the raccoons and possums out of my attic? I'm disabled and live in a townhouse community, where 8 units are attached. Over the past years we have trapped several and took them to TX Wildlife. Please help.

By Terrie from Houston