Dead Animal Smell in an Attic

Category Odors
Small animals sometimes can get into your attic. Unfortunately, they can also die up there leaving you with an unpleasant odor to try to remove. This is a guide about dead animal smell in an attic.

How can I get rid of the smell of a dead squirrel from my attic? I think a squirrel died in my attic about 3 day ago and I can't get rid of the smell. I have looked all over but can't find the dead animal. Please help.

Theresa from Bowie

Answers

Best Answer

The smell will disappear in a short time, so why pay a "critter eliminator" to search for the carcass? When I worked part time as a Leasing Agent for 40 Apartment locations, I remember several times this happened and that's what they always said.

Sorry you have to endure it for a while, but it shouldn't be too long. It might have gotten into a chimney but usually the mother has a nest, then the baby(s) grow up and escape.

Sometimes the mother gets killed and the babies eventually
die without her help or they get lost or stuck somewhere and die. It could also be one or a family of rats, bats, racoons, or opossum... all are treated the same by the pest eliminator at great expense mainly for his time, not expertise.

Best Answer

I had the same problem in my office next to the attic. I left the window open a few times. After about a week the smell just disappeared. It was bad while it lasted though.

Best Answer

I just dealt with the same problem. I went up into the attic armed with gloves, a garbage bag, and flashlight and started searching. I initially looked towards the eaves, but I soon realized that my nose was the best way to zero in on where the dead squirrel lay. When I searched away in the wrong direction, the smell noticeably dropped off in strength. I eventually located the remains of the squirrel under the insulation in a partially melted pool on the drywall of the ceiling. I picked up what I could taking some of the loose insulation with the pile. Although I pretty much got most of it, there were residual maggots crawling around which I sprayed with ant killer. I sprayed the drywall with Febreeze (sp?) and replaced the insulation. If the smell persists for more than a couple of days, I plan to go back up and try bleach or sprinkling baking soda.

Believe it or not, but the smell will go away within a few more days.....try burning nice candles to help in the mean time. We had the same problem once too.