Making Animal Cracker Crafts

Category Jewelry
You probably have never thought of animal crackers and crafts together, other than as a snack while crafting. Well, here are some ideas for making exciting unique animal cracker crafts. This is a guide about making animal cracker crafts.

Why should the squirrels in your yard get all the stale animal crackers when you can wear them as jewelry instead?

Approximate Time: A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

Instructions:

1. Even though you're using stale crackers, there can still be some moisture in them. I heat the crackers in an oven, about 200 degrees F, for 10-15 minutes (or until I smell them start to cook!), just to make sure they are thoroughly dried out. I found that when skipping this step, sometimes they get soggy inside and soft, can't explain it, but it has happened.
  2. Ad

3. Another way to dry them out is to nuke them on paper towel for 30 seconds on both sides, this will also bring out any moisture in them.
  4. Now you're ready to paint. Paint back first, because you want the front to be perfect and the last side to dry.
  5. I use a mesh produce bag for a drying place. Sticking is minimal and the air can circulate.
  6. After painting both sides, apply a coating of lacquer or nail polish to seal them. Be sure to get the edges. Dry thoroughly or the Sharpie will not work.
  7. Now you can add the details with the Sharpie.
  8. Coat again with polish or lacquer. Allow another complete dry (hint: polish dries quicker).
  9. Ad

10. Now attach pin or magnet with super glue. I cut bits off of old magnet sheets that were outdated advertisements.

By ~gloria from Upstate, NY

Top Comment

One more tip on this craft: You can also use Modge Podge as a sealer and to give your animals some shine. Off to the zoo today with the kiddos, wearing my animal cracker camel. :>)

Cute, cute idea. Creativity never ceases to amaze. I think I will make some for my nieces!

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks, Lewis and Thriftyvicki. I appreciate your kind words.