Avocado Fudge

This is a wonderful easy recipe for those who are lactose intolerant but want to eat fudge! I make this for gifts and no one ever knows what's in it! So sweet and smooth.

• 1 avocado, ripe
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup cocoa
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a medium sized saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. When margarine is melted, puree with avocado in food processor or blender until perfectly smooth until there are no chunks left!

Return mixture to saucepan over very low heat and aff the rest of the ingredients, except the walnuts, adding the powdered sugar a portion at a time.

Once all the sugar has been added, the mixture should be thick. Add walnuts if using, and pour into a loaf pan. Refridgerate until firm. It takes awhile for it to firm up so waiting overnight is best :)

Source: http://about.com

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

BE CAREFUL! Many people are ALLERGIC TO AVOCADOS, along with almonds or peanuts. And avocados are not a common ingredient, so someone who does not suspect the fudge may consume freely, sometimes a very small amount may cause a severe reaction. It sure is a great recipe if there are no issues, though. May I suggest simply inquiring, or informing. The trade off of "no one knowing," to the recipients' ( or their families, or a guest in their home to whom they serve the delicious convection) well-being is up to you, but I suspect you'd rather say, "I made this with avocado! ", or the recipient say when offering, "Lisa made this with avocados! ",

than, " I'm so sorry. I didn't know." I have always found it helpful to list the ingredients of my homemade gifts , and affix it to the bottom of the box. Happy, Healthy Holidays!

I love avocado's! I am willing to try this though what can I sub for margarine. I refuse to use margarine for anything except maybe as a shoe polish:) Would real butter work here or maybe something even healthier?

thanks for a good sounding recipe

Happy Holidays~

Editor's Note: Butter is usually interchangeable with margarine in recipes.

Looks like a great recipe! I'd really like to try it. However, where I live avacoados come in many shapes and sizes. Do you know what the actual measurement of avacado flesh (like 1 cup..2 cups?) is needed for this recipe?

Barbara Jean

Avocado is supposed to have lots of vitamin E in it - good for the skin!

Sounds sooo good...can't wait to try it!

hi, i was just looking at your different fudge recipe, really you cant tell thats in it? i love avocados, but some of my family dont, maybei could fool them,haha. thanks.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Candies FudgeDecember 3, 2007
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes