Hair Coloring Tips for Men

I have reached the age where I will need to start coloring my hair. I am considering using "Just for Men". One of the FAQs mentions that gloves are supplied to avoid staining the hands. I am bald on top. How do I stop the product from staining my scalp? Also, since I have less hair than the average man, can I use the product for two applications?

I have emailed "Just for Men" twice without a reply so if anyone can recommend an alternate product I will be glad for the advice.

Thank you,
Mark from Indianapolis, Indiana

As a woman that has colored my hair for years, I can tell you that it is hard to keep the color stored once you have opened it. With coupons and sales you should be able to get the product for little or nothing.

Also, most of your questions should be able to be answered by phone. The product will have an "800" number to call and even get some coupons for the product. I hope this helps!

I have baby fine, short hair. I always threw away more hair color solution than I used. Several years ago I got smart. I realized that the hair color solution doesn't "keep" because the two ingredients have been mixed together! Check the two containers in your haircoloring kits. Although the containers are in different shapes they contain the very same amount of liquid! I screw off the caps ( don't snap off or break off any "tips"...just unscrew the container lid or cap). I have a set of plastic (not metal !) measuring spoons and a small glass (not metal!) bowl that I use. I pour out EQUAL amounts from each bottle (measured in my measuring spoons) into the glass bowl and mix with a plastic spoon. For example...use 2 Tbsp. of color and 2 Tbsp. of activator. Tightly cap the remaining products (unmixed and in their original bottles) and use the next time. I can get three uses out of one kit! Just don't use any metal spoons, bowls etc. when doing this as the metal can have a chemical reaction with the solution and who knows what that might do!!! If you've had your hair colored at a salon......... if you can watch.....your hairdresser will pour an amount of "color" into her applicator bottle from a big bottle......and then add another ingredient I'm calling the activator from another big bottle. This is what you'll be doing too, only your "big" bottles are smaller! :>) I might add that I always used hair color for women, not men, but I assume that the ingredients are the same. The marketing technique is just a little different. Any stray haircolor stain on my skin always comes off when wiped with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol.

I helped a guy I know touch up his hair - & applied some men's gel color sparingly with a toothbrush - and left becoming snowy areas at the temples. Don't think you can totally restore your color, especially if it was dark - you should just touch up - otherwise your hair will look harsh and definitely dyed. The best advice I ever heard about coloring is to do it messily - as no one's real hair color is EVEN. to avoid getting on your skin - apply petroleum jelly to the bald spot and around your face first - & get someone to help you with the top - It is a sort of artistic job & I must say that my effort turned out very well.

Wayward haircolor can, frequently, be removed with alcohol on a cotton ball or washcloth.

Clairol is a great product and call the toll free number for expert help.

If you want to try it yourself allow time for this.

If your hair is dark you need to try a shade lighter

however if your hair is naturally dark brown and you

use dark brown it will turn BLACK.

use it sparingly and I use cheapie baby wipes to

keep it off face, neck the new gel colors are great

for keeping mess away.

Becareful hair products can stain walls, sinks and

clothes so have area clean and protected with newspapers. If this is your first color you might

want to try a hair salon then you can get the idea

and tips.

Good luck let us know how this works for you.

Don't be afraid to visit a hair salon to have your color applied; most are unisex now.

A cheaper (and to some, sexier) alternative is to keep it shaved Marine or biker bald. Buzz your remaining scalp hair off with a cheap electric clipper (it's a good idea to do it standing in a dry shower to catch the hair), then follow up with an electric shaver. Check the final job in the mirror using a hand held mirror to see all around in case you missed something, like on the forehead or behind an ear. You'll also save on shampoo.

A woman dying her own hair.
Coloring Hair at Home
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 24, 2006
A person coloring their hair.
Saving Money on Coloring Your Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
🎄