Using Clay Pots Outside

I have some medium size clay pots. I am wondering what I can do with these for outside. They don't have any bottoms for them to catch the water. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Donisue from MO

I always put plastic bags or news paper in bottoms of pots to keep the dirt from going out, then put dirt(potting soil) in, then plant flowers in them. Does this answer your question? Hope so, if not let me know, good luck.

Hi, thanks for the info.

A paper towel or coffee filter works great to keep soil from falling through the drain hole, whether or not you use a saucer. Also remember that soil in clay pots will dry out faster than that in non-porous pots, so keep up with the watering, especially if they are in full sun.

The Salvation Army store or any thrift store are good places to get saucers for your pots. Get a plate with edges that curve up a little to keep the water off the deck. You can get plates to fit just about any size pot.

My Mother plants her large clay pots full of blooming flowers that must be brought in every winter. Right before the 1st frost all she has to do is have my brother pull the pot out of the flower bed & store in a cool, dark area-usually in the basement. Then, all she has to do the following year is to place the pot back in the hole in the garden soil where it was pulled from & water.

I always clean the plant and the pot before bringing in from outdoors. I just hose it down with mild soap and water. You never know what is in the dirt or on the plant.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 20, 2009
Clay Pot Candleholders
Clay Pot Candleholders
Papier Mache Clay
Papier Mache Clay Recipe
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Making Sand Clay
Making Sand Clay
🎄
🍂