Keeping Futon from Slipping

You are not alone if your futon mattress keeps sliding down on the frame. This is a guide about keeping futon from slipping.

October 11, 2013 Flag

I have an older type tri-fold futon, that I use mostly in 1 of its 3 different upright positions on the back 1/3. The problem is, no matter which position it's in, the entire mattress slips down towards the bottom until the bottom rests on the floor. And the mattress is heavy to pick up and re-do when you have sciatica and a bad lower back! I've even tried bungy-cording it around that area, to no avail.

If any of you have any suggestions on how to solve or at least minimize this ongoing dilemma, please please help me out.

By Nica from Big Bend, WV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There's a product called InstaGrip that works pretty well for things like that. It comes on rolls and in sheets; the package I bought has 1 roll, 2" x 15-ft.; 1 roll 1/2" x 15-ft.; and 2 sheets, each 10" x 10". You peel off the backing and stick it down; it's also repositionable. I've used it for some smaller things and had good luck. Maybe, if you used the sheets in the center and the strips around the edges of your cushion, it would keep it in place. I paid $9.99 for the box, from a mail order company, but I think it's in stores now, like CVS, Walgreens, supermarkets, etc. It's one of those "Seen on TV" products, and it does work.

Other than that, I would suggest the rubbery honeycomb type shelf liner that comes in rolls and is also used to keep things from slipping. I've seen that for $1 per roll in the dollar stores. A couple of rolls of that might keep your cushion in place, too.

Good luck!

Could you try putting some of the rubberized matting used for rugs on carpet between the mattress and the frame?

December 8, 2005 Flag

To keep my futon mattress from slipping and sliding, I took 2 rolls of gripping shelf liner and laid one under the seat part, and one behind the back part. Now the mattress stays in place!

By Chris from Levittown, Pa

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureMarch 16, 2013
Preventing Slips and Falls in a Bathtub and Shower
Futon Couch
Making a Futon Cover
woman wearing a bra
Keeping Bra Straps from Slipping
A rug sitting on a wood floor.
Keeping Rugs From Slipping