Stressed Weeping Willow

I have a large weeping willow on a sloping area in the back yard. It has a number of dead branches and not a lot of new foliage. It looks stressed. Aside from pruning is there anything I can do? How often should I be watering it?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Silvia Hutchins from Camarillo, CA

First make sure it is getting alot of water, willows require alot of water, next see if there is a infestation willows are susceptible to bore worms, if you have had white butterfies flying around they may have laid their egg and the worm can destroy a willow if it isn't taken care of right away. I love willow and they are had to keep healthy.

I was broken hearted to learn that most common Weeping Willows simply don't live too long. So, when ours began to die, I thought this was the only problem, but noticed after it was cut down that it was FULL of Termites. We chose to treat the stump area although termites are 2 feet under the entire surface of the earth, and you just can't destroy them all. lol

Good luck with yours. God bless you. : )

Be sure to get some clippings to start a new one. They root well in water. Or get some good potting soil and mix it with some peat moss. Keep the soil damp but not soaking wet. You can use a good pot with good drainage. Water it well and let most of the water drain. Then set it in something to collect the water. Let it set in the remaining water, there won't be much there if most of it has drained out.

Water every few days from the top (reason being)you want the old water well drained out so it don't get sour. Start the water process over again every few days.

If you are rooting in water, be sure to change out the water every few days so it don't get sour, collect mold etc...

As for the large pussy willow you have now, I would give it a good dose of bug killer for gardens. Dollar general has some that is less expensive and works well. Good luck with your pussy willow.

I live in Florida, planted a young weeping willow two years ago, but she is only growing nice branches to one side but not the other. Sunlite year round, has a good water source. Any ideas?

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthMay 23, 2007
Buying Weeping Willow Trees
Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Growing a Weeping Willow Tree
Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Starting a Weeping Willow Tree from a Cutting
🎉
🎄