Redoing Blackberry Jelly

I had to do my blackberry jelly over again. I don't think it is going to take again. Can I redo it? If yes, do I do it the same way or some other way?

gabday123 from US

What do you mean when you say you don't think it's going to "take"? Is it too runny? Let us know what you mean...or maybe everybody else will know! :-)

Did you use pectin? If so it can take up to a week to set up. I don't know how to advise you, how long has it been maybe just wait a bit and see what happens.

I made Blackberry Jelly and did not use pectin, I put my berries through a juicer along with two granny smith apples measured the juice and added equal amounts of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Then I boiled it until it had reduced by 1/3. I bottled it and BWB it for 10 minuted.

It gelled fine.

I like to not use commerical pectin if I can get away with out it.

Tena in Tahsis

If you are not using pectin (Certo or some other brand), please get some and use it. Having to make your jam or jelly over again several times is a nuisance. Pectin is a totally natural product made from apples. It makes wonderful jams and jellys, and if you follow the directions, you get a perfect product. PLEASE follow the directions and use the correct amount of sugar and fruit as well. If you are concerned about the high sugar content, there is a pectin product that you can get that uses artificial sweetner, which is good for people who have diabetes.

An added advantage of pectin is that you do not have to reduce anything. You get more jam out of the same amount of fruit.

If you are using pectin, you will likely find a website or toll free number on the directions or on the box that you can phone to troubleshoot the problem. However, I find among my friends, that the only people who have trouble are those who do not follow the directions.

I have not used blackberries, but the directions for raspberry jam are the same on the all the pectin boxes. I prefer Certo liquid, but I am sure that they all good products.

Several years ago, I made mulberry jelly that didn't jell. I didn't want to re-do, it so my husband and I just had delicious mulberry syrup for our pancakes. YUM!

I thank to every one for your help, even the "smart alec". I did figure it out and it jelly now. So thanks again, Tina

I was thinking of a topping for ice cream as opposed to redoing it. And with another, I had a misgel a few years ago. It wasn't too bad, so I let it sit on the shelf for a few months. When I realized I forgot it was there, it was fine. Only bad thing is that I was stuck with labels that read "misgel" :( so I couldn't exactly give them as gifts.

I recently read that to redo a jelly you can boil 1 to 1 and a half cups of water with a fresh box of Certo Light in a small saucepan at medium heat, boil hard for one minute stirring constantly and set it aside. In another pot, reheat your syrup (failed jelly) to a boil, add your missing fruit or sugar, add your set aside pectin mixture, boil for 30 seconds and pour back into prepared jars. There is a new pectin out by Bernardin called "No Sugar needed " Fruit Pectin that is very good for successful jelly and jam. I have some chokecherry/crab apple syrup because I used the wrong pectin for reduced sugar. I do, however, like to keep lots of syrup for on waffles, pancakes, French toast and ice cream. I am always "reluctant" to redo a job. I'd rather make fresh jelly and try to use up the syrup another way. By the way, I have never tasted blackberries until last summer when I bought a basket of them off of a fruit truck - wow! They were delicious! Our near by Qu'Applelle Valley has lots of chokecherries that we can pick for free that my family will not let me run out of. As I speak I have several frozen containers of the cooked chokecherry juice and crab apple juice set out to make a few pots of jelly. Lol. We are presently using our last jar. My family, more specifically, one son would be devastated if I actually ran out of Chokecherry - Crab apple jelly.

Thank you, Susan. I did get a lot of useful feed back, and am glad I found your site. Thanks again. Happy fall to you.