Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Can I Dye Synthetic Wigs?

This is to hairdressers or anybody who knows: Can wigs with synthetic hair be dyed (successfully) with regular hair dye? I have some secondhand wigs that are the wrong color for me. Thank you.

By Vicki from Dallas, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By pam munro [447]12/09/2010

I like the spray on colors because if done carefully, they can take away the artificial shininess of an acrylic wig.

By Anonymous [848]12/08/2010

No, you can't use regular hair dye on synthetic hair because it won't properly penetrate the fibers and, depending on the synthetic, might not penetrate at all. If the wig happens to be very light or platinum blonde then you can check out this link for a how to that might possibly work for you using acrylic ink if you can find or mix the exact color your looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnwVLXUvjA

Was a hairstylist for 35 years and styled many synthetic and human hair wigs including coloring them for various photo shoots, television shows and films. You can use the temporary spray on colors you purchase at beauty supply stores that coat the fibers but it makes the synthetic hair feel sort of gummy and stiff and the color choices are limited and can permanently stain certain fabrics if rubbed off on to or dripped on to those fabrics if caught in the rain. ;-)