Frugal Outdoor Garden Gift Ideas

Ideas for frugal gardening or yard gift ideas as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Mini Roses

I would buy a mini rose bush at a department store. You could always dress up the container pot with fabric or a ribbon tied in a bow. They are indoor plants but are very cute. About $10.00.

by rudys mom

Beaded Butterfly Garden Art

While recently visiting a friend's garden, I saw these small adorable beaded butterflies. Just get some small craft beads and wire to form the butterfly shape. A stick wrapped with green beads can be easily attached. I'd make 3 of these for an unusual garden decoration.

by sandra b.

Garden Ornament On A Stake

I am thinking something you can attach to a stake for a garden ornament. Check out the dollar stores and see if they have something you can improve.

by cookwie

Tea Cup Bird Feeder

Make a tea cup bird feeder.

• teacup and saucer (found at local thrift shop)
  • copper tubing (1/2" about 2-3 inches long)
  • copper end cap (to fit 1/2 inch or whatever size your tubing is)
  • old spoon (optional)
  • bird seed
  • strong silicone glue (for outdoor use, clear works best)
  • Ad
  • piece of rebar or other strong pipe to pound into the ground.

Glue the end cap on the saucer bottom. Glue the cup and saucer together. Glue on a spoon for the birds to perch (optional). Pour birdseed into cup. Pound your piece of rebar into the ground. Put the copper tubing over the rebar. Insert the copper tubing into the copper end cap and enjoy.

*By using the copper end cap it will make cleaning and winter storage a snap. Just pop off your cup and saucer, dump and refill or take inside for winter storage.

by Momof1

Editor's Note: Another version of this feeder can be found by clicking on the picture above or following this link:

Stepping Stone

You could also make a stepping stone. Just use a tin pie plate, quick drying cement and you could always write a name and add some small things. I've going to try this for my grandsons, sounds like a neat craft and something for them to keep.

by Grammar

Dollar Stores

There are great garden things available at the dollar stores now. You could get a plant and decorate it. Or cover a bowling ball with mosaic to make a garden ball - or find a plaster sculpture and spray with white paint?

by Pamphyila

Editor's Note: Here are instructions for making a garden ball:

Craft Ideas From Your Own Yard

How about handmade stationery with leaf prints from plants in your yard (dip the leaf in paint and press it onto plain paper)? Or a wreath made from vines in your yard? It wouldn't have to be very large, and you could decorate it with acorns and with leaves dipped in glycerin and dried. Got pine cones? Dip them in peanut butter and then birdseed to make nice bird feeders. Add a hook on the base to hang. A picture frame made of sticks glued or tied together at the corners.

by Jantoo

Bark Framed Butterfly Gift

I recently had to make a quick gift for a friend who likes outdoor things. I took a small wooden picture frame and covered it with bark paper. I then put a piece of handmade paper inside the frame (the kind that has flecks of bark, etc). Then I added a butterfly that I had bought at a euro shop for practically nothing. Finally, I cut some of the dead wood off of my own vines and glued that on for interest. Leandros liked it a lot and it was very inexpensive to make, and it was a quick project.

by Lisingreece

Cactus In Tea Cup

What I have done before is to use a cup and saucer and place a cactus in a cup of moistened soil. Place it in the garden or on a windowsill. Water once a year, if indoors.

by Flowerchild

Birdhouses And Feeders

I would think that if someone likes gardening, she probably likes birds. A simple and cheap gift would be a bird feeder and a bag of seed.

Another idea would be a dollar store or craft store wooden birdhouse painted and decorated by you. Go wild with the colors, then spray with clear finish, also available at the dollar store and it will last outside. Good luck!

by Hugus

Cookie Jars As Yard Art

I have a friend that goes to yard sales. She goes to buy cookie jars, if available. Then she uses them as decorations in her flower gardens and even in her vegetable gardens.

by Irene

Feel free to post your ideas below.

When using/making birdhouses, be sure to make drainage holes in the bottom. And for the bird's health, they really should have a hinged wall or lid or base for cleaning out.

Be very careful that your dog doesn't get into the dropped seed hulls because they're mixed with bird droppings. It's the droppings that are very toxic to dogs if they eat them. I almost lost my dog a few years ago; it was very close butI was very lucky

Be very careful that your dog doesn't get into the seed hulls from a feeder, which are mixed with bird droppings. My dog ate this combo & I almost lost her. The droppings are the culprit & I was very lucky to have learned a valuable lesson.

Frugal Gift
Frugal Gift Ideas
Crafts Garden & YardOctober 25, 2007
A man giving a gift to his wife.
Gift Ideas for Your Wife
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Easter Gift Box With Chocolate Eggs Inside
Easter Gift Ideas
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts