Milk Question about Fudge Recipe

This recipe was listed, questions were asked and no answers were forthcoming and I still want to know... what kind of milk and how big a can? Here is the recipe as it appeared in a newsletter dated 9-10-05:

Fudge The Fast Way

5 cups white sugar
1 Canned milk
2 Pkgs. Milk Chocolate chips 12 oz ea
1 tsp. Vanilla flavoring

First grease 2 Cake pans. Get a Medium size sauce pan and pour the sugar, chocolate chips and canned milk in then and bring to a boil stirring constantly.

Let boil seven minutes. Remove from heat.

Add vanilla and stir.

Pour contents into cake pans.

Let cool.

By Laurie Skeem

So if Laurie, or anyone, would tell me how much milk and what kind I would appreciate the opportunity to make a fast and easy fudge. I love fudge, everyone I know loves fudge.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

When I make fudge, I use evaporated milk. My fudge recipe calls for two cans, 12oz each.

Good luck.

I'm not sure, but with all that sugar in your recipe, I would assume one can of evaporated milk. Or, you can try this fast recipe instead:

Fast Fudge

Here is a very quick recipe with just a few ingredients.

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 bag (12 oz.) chocolate chips

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Warm the milk in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in chocolate chips, vanilla and nuts. Pour mixture into a baking dish. Cool and cut into squares

This sounds similar to a recipe I use every year at Christmas time to make fudge with. I would get so frustrated because I could never get my homemade fudge to turn out right but came across this recipe a few years ago and have used it ever since. It always turns out perfect!

3 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened condensed miilk

dash of salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Line a 8 or 9-inch square pan with foil and butter; set aside. In a heavy sauce pan melt chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and salt together. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Spread evenly into pan. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.

I've even mixed in about a half cup of peanut butter when I added the vanilla to make peanut butter fudge and it was great!

Thank you so much for your responses. I am going to try your recipes. So kind!

This is the fudge recipe that I use:

Although it calls for 12 ounces of evaporated milk, I have made it just as successfully using regular milk, or 2% milk.

Chocolate Marshmallow Creme Fudge

4 cups sugar

2 cups chocolate chips

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine

small jar (7-8 ounces) marshmallow creme

1 large can evaporated milk (12 Oz)

1 cup chopped nuts

Mix chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, and nuts in large bowl. Combine sugar, margarine and milk in large pan and cook over medium heat. Be careful that it doesn't boil over. Stir constantly to avoid scorching. ( I use a pancake turner to stir, as it scrapes the bottom of the pan better than a spoon.) Cook to 238º on a candy thermometer. (soft ball) Remove from heat and pour over mixture in bowl. Quickly beat until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared buttered 9 X 13 cake pan. I prepare the pan by buttering or spraying with pam. I then lay a piece of waxed paper across the pan with enough to go up and over the sides. I also grease this paper. When your fudge has cooled, invert the pan on a flat surface, pull gently on the waxed paper and candy will drop out of the pan. then cut in squares. Store in a plastic container with a lid.

Harlean from Arkansas

The recipe states in the ingredients listed 1 can of evaporated milk.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 3, 2005
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft