Throwing a Costume Ball Party

I need help planning a masquerade ball. My birthday falls on Halloween and for my 30th next year I wanted a ball. I need help with ball gown rental in NJ and how to go about it on a low budget. Any ideas on companies that set up themes? Please help.

Linda from New Jersey (Central)

I went as Marie Antoinette for a costume ball a few years back and I ended up getting 2 prom/bridesmaid dresses at the thrift store and fashioned my own dress (the 2 dresses were both maroon shades and cooresponded well. Also, 2 dresses from teeny tiny teenage girls meant enough fabric for not teeny tiny me.) You might also check into renting formal gowns from bridal shops. Good Luck!

If you & your friends like to sew have a "sewing" party and make your costumes together. You can always get cheap costume dress patterns by Simplicity or McCalls at Hobby Lobby. They always have their patterns discounted. You can make some great and fairly easy costumes. I've made twelve so far; some alone, some with friends or relatives, and one with my mother in law (we used her old, flowery curtains for the fabric!) Hood's and other building material's warehouse's occationally have rolls of tapestry fabric for much less than the stores. This is a great way to spend time together and learn new things from one another. Good Luck!

Posters and posterboard cutouts for scenery and fabrics from second-hand stores are inexpensive items to add. Traditional items such as balloons, streamers, crepe paper, and confetti are also inexpensive and add a colorful, festive feel with minimal effort.

Submit your fun and unique theme party ideas in our contest for a chance to win $100 in party supplies. Contest end the stroke of midnight on All-Hallows-Eve!

Holidays and Parties Parties CostumesSeptember 23, 2006
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume
Making a Convict Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume