Repair AdviceCars

Sticky Ignition In a Car

When starting my car, the ignition switch slightly sticks when returning to it's normal position. I'm tempted to give it a shot of WD-40 or tuner cleaner. But, I don't want to cause any electrical problems. Any advice would be welcome.

Bob in Ventura, CA

WD-40 will not harm your ignition or anything else and my guess is if its not a physical blockage causing the problem it will help! It is designed to displace water and "gunk" and is safely used on power tools engines and the like.....

check out the site it's a good one.....http://www.wd40.com/

you may also want to check your key....many times keys wear down and don't hit how they should....get a new one made soon if this is the case before it's to difficult for the machine to copy.....

Good luck

Powder graphite will help, cheep at a local parts house, just spray it into the ignition and turn the key on and off several times. You will feel the difference, use it in the door locks and window switches as well. I am a certified mechanic and have done this hundreds of times saving my customer hundreds of dollars. Good luck and God bless you.