Cleaning Stucco Walls

We moved into a house with stucco type walls in the kitchen. There is a lot of greasy, gunky build up on the walls. There is also several coats of paint on the woodwork, they didn't remove any. They just painted over the grease and dirt.

This is an old house, the walls are plaster based, with rough edges everywhere. How do I clean this gunk without tearing up my hands, walls, and rags? Thanks for any help you can give me.

By rydynhood from Rockford, IL

There is a certain kind of TSP that does not require rinsing off. I found it at a hardware store and I'm sure that some place like Home Depot carries it.

Get a large spray bottle and fill with the TSP and use a brush, you can buy a cheap toilet brush that can be discarded after you use it on the walls.

Just line the floor with rolled up towels, {and don't forget to cover yourself} bath mats, etc and spray the walls til soaked, scrub with the brush and then spray it down so all the gunk runs all the way down to the towels.

That's the only way I know of to clean stucco type walls. You could also just turn on a shop vac to suck up the TSP as it hits the floor or baseboard. Good luck!

October 6, 2009 Flag

How do you clean stucco?

- Buddy

Cleaning Stucco

JOMAX, this stuff is absolutely awesome! Follow the directions exactly on the jug, using only Clorox bleach. Spray it on and leave for 5 min., then simply spray it off with water. We've been doing this every 2-3 yrs on our house and it never ceases to amaze us at how well it works to remove mold, mildew and grime. It looks as if we have a brand new paint job each time we do it. You can purchase this miracle stuff at most hardware, home centers. Let me know if it works for you! (06/07/2005)

By Becky in South Arkansas

Cleaning Stucco

Power washer. Rent or buy one at Lowe's. Worked for the people behind us. (06/11/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsOctober 6, 2009
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
Stucco Wall
Removing Candle Wax from Stucco