Making a College Survival Kit

Making a College Survival Kit
Make sure your young scholar is well equipped when heading off to college. This guide is about making a college survival kit.

This is an idea for a going away gift for anyone going to college. My neighbors daughter is leaving for college and I wanted to give her something special to take with her. I found a very nice small vintage looking suitcase at an estate sale. I have had such fun filling it with inexpensive necessities and I am really proud of myself at how thrifty I have been.

Items included in the suitcase are, cookies, instant ramen noodle soups, instant hot chocolate, a pretty mug, again purchased at a estate sale. Pencils, pens, highlighters, a dayplanner, a phone card which was a buy one get one free at Walgreens drug store, a pretty package of notecards and a book of stamps. Gifts do not have to be expensive to be a blessing! All of the items I have purchased at estate sales, or at a very good sale price!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

Hey folks, it's getting close to time to start sending kids back to college or off to college for the first time. Do you have any ideas for a college survival kit?

Answers:

College Survival Kit

I make up gift baskets and sell them and one of the ideas I use is as follows:

The list is endless and they are so much fun to put together.

Hope this helps!
(08/11/2004)

By CocoBear

College Survival Kit

1. Small first aid kit is something most kids don't think they will need, but eventually have to have.

2. Nail clippers.

3. Scissors.

4. Small sewing kit.

5. video rental gift certificates

6. school supplies. If they don't have a car to get to places to shop, they may be forced to shop at the campus book stores which tend to triple their prices.

7. Small cleaning kit for minor messes. Paper towels, Windex, 409, Pine-Sol and toilet brush if they have their own bathroom. Maybe add a 4 pack of toilet paper too. hee hee (08/12/2004)

By Tawnda

College Survival Kit

Last fall was my first semester as a non-traditional college student. Here are the things that many of my classmates complained about not having:

1. Extra money on student ID card (used for snacks, drinks, photo copies, etc)
  2. Bike lock
  3. Gift certificates to local restaurants and grocery stores
  4. Shower shoes
  5. Disposable camera
  6. Plenty of notecards and cool pens
  7. GUM!!! (Waaaay overpriced at student center)
  8. Nalgene water bottle (everybody has them)
  9. Calling card (First semester I had a classmate with a 700$ cell phone bill. She did not think to add minutes to her plan before she left home). I found that Wal-Mart or Sams are the best value.
  10. Bus pass (if ID card does not work)

11. Cool lights or pillows for dorm. In the dorm everyone is trying to be different. Keep that in mind when shopping.
I hope this helps!! (08/16/2004)

By Megan S.

College Survival Kit

A roll of quarters is $10 -- quarters will be needed for vending machines, parking meters, etc. How will the student be getting from the dorm to the classes? If he/she is riding a bike, a nice quality bike lock will be a pleasant surprise. If walking, how about a collapsible umbrella? When my nephew went to college, his biggest complaint was that the toilet paper in the communal dorm bathroom was like sandpaper -- the most-appreciated survival item was name-brand, soft tp!!!! (08/17/2004)

By Becki in Indiana

College Survival Kit

Quarters (for laundry), tea, chocolate chips, candy, multi-tool thing (or wrench), sewing kit, duct tape, first aid kit (or just band-aids), peanut butter, ramen, earplugs, eyeshades, condoms. (12/19/2004)

College Survival Kit

Medicine! Send lots and lots of medicine! (04/10/2005)

By Jennifer D.

College Survival Kit

Bring extra sheets.

In a bunkbed in a dorm situation, you can drape sheets from the top bunk down the sides and foot and head to make a privacy cave. A cave for the top bunk can be made from dark colored sheets by hanging from the ceiling using deeper thumb tacks (tack into ceiling) or ceiling hooks (screw into ceiling and hook sheet to that.)

This cave also keeps you warmer in the winter, or fall when the cold weather comes but they have not turned the boilers on yet.
(01/25/2006)

By bulrush

College Survival Kit

This is my first year as a college student and where I am at it is an apartment style dorm with 3 roommates. The thing we use most are:

(02/01/2006)

By Stacy

College Survival Kit

(02/12/2006)

By kezza

College Survival Kit

Shower Shoes! Very important (05/29/2006)

By Iles

College Survival Kit

Gas cards are nice if they have a vehicle. (07/08/2006)

By auburng92

College Survival Kit

I'm going to be a college sophomore and I'm making a "survival kit" for a friend who's going to be a freshman. This is what I'm putting in it:

1. SOFT toilet paper (dorm tp sucks!)
  2. pop tarts (a morning, afternoon, evening, and late night staple!)
  3. package of many small boxes of different cereals
  4. air freshener (a must for smelly boys!)
  5. gum
  6. readivac hand-held compact vacuum
  7. ear plugs (snoring roommates are a killer.)
  8. poster adhesive (you never have it when you need it.)
  9. laundry soap, stain remover, and a roll of quarters
  10. band-aids
  11. computer paper
  12. 6-in-1 screwdriver
  13. and of course...TOP RAMEN!! (08/11/2006)

By Elizabeth

College Survival Kit

Medicine is a must! As a freshmen I have bought tums, cold medicine, pepto, cough drops, nasal spray, and lots of others! quarters for dorm college students is a necessity. Sending regular mail like the local newspaper or a short note from the family is nice during the semester. (01/08/2007)