Parvo Survival Rate

Category Health
Many factors can effect the survival rate of pets infected with this highly contagious disease. Proper care either at home or in your vet's office will certainly improve their odds. Vaccinations and house and yard decontamination are also recommended to protect future pets. This is a guide about parvo survival rate.

I have a 12 week old Puggle named Snickers. I took him to the vet today to find out if he had Parvo like we thought and he did. He is now in the hospital for 5-7 days. I hope and pray that my baby will make it. What are his chances of living?

By Courtney from Friendly, WV

Answers

Best Answer

Our great dane puppy got parvo and survived. It sounds like you caught it early enough for the vets to be able to help out your sweet doggie. Once they let him out everything will be ok. Parvo does live in the ground and i would suggest that you don't put any more puppies in that area but any dog over a year old will be fine in your yard.

I wouldn't worry about notifying the neighboors because if your dog got parvo then that means its been in your yard and the other dogs have already been exposed to it. When snickers returns everything will be ok, he may stay a little small for his age but will be healthy.

Best Answer

My dog came down with parvo when he was young. He was up to date on all his vaccinations. Be aware that they act as an insurance policy; make odds better that your dog won't contract it, but do not guarantee that he won't. He was kept in our yard with our other pets. He was a Rottie, which is a breed that has one of the lowest survival rates, but we caught it early. He lived through it. We did not have an extremely high or unreasonable vet bill. None of our other pets caught it, and we failed to treat our yard in any way.

(We were ignorant of the fact that we should, and no one--not even the vet, told us that we should.)

Our Rottweiler's growth wasn't stunted in any way, in fact, he grew to be the largest one in our area. My point is, we did almost everything wrong, but ours pulled through. I believe the main factor was that we caught it early. Visit your pet, keep his spirits up, and let him know that you love him. Dogs heal from miraculous things. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.

Best Answer

So very sorry to hear about Snickers, tough way to get started off in life. We had an akita puppy, Yuri, who got parvo at the vet clinic where we'd gotten her puppy shots on the way home after buying her. She did survive after a struggle but was one sick little baby for awhile. Medical- care costs are negligible compared to the joy & love we receive from our pets who are bonafide members of our families.

Best of luck to you & Snickers ~ wishing you many years of happiness together!

I have a dog that was diagnosed with parvo. He started showing signs on Monday with vomit and bloody diarrhea and we took him to the vet on Tuesday. He got injected and given medication. So we continued doing the treatment at home, but he was OK for the first day, but then got worse. He is now hospitalized with a vet for a 3 day treatment. What are his chances?

Answers

Best Answer

No way to tell. In the old days, dogs with parvo were kept at the vet until they recovered, so it would not spread. Parvo was rare. They were on iv fluids almost the entire time. Now, it is so much more common and the trend seems to be for vets to send them home after they are diagnosed.

I do hope the vet told you how to disinfect everything, including the yard (from it tracking on your feet). If you don't disinfect, it will continue to spread. Even if you don't have another dog, someone visiting could get the virus on their shoes while visiting and take it back to their place.

Best Answer

No one can guarantee anything, but you are giving the dog the best chance by leaving him at the vet and taking him there at the first sign of illness. Good luck.

Best Answer

This all depends on the dog. I had 2 dogs that had parvo in the past. One of them was treated at home and the second spent 7 days at the vet's with an IV and shots. Both of the dogs survived and were fine after the treatments.

It is harder on a small dog such as yours because of their weight. They don't have as much weight to lose as a larger dog does. However, my nephew's Bichon Frise was hospitalized the same time as my dog and they both were very sick when they went in. Both dogs survived. I'd say leaving the dog with the vet is your best chance on a full recovery. They are there to monitor the dog and give the dog injections when needed.

My dog Miley has caught parvo. She only had her first set of shots. She will make 2 in December. The vet said we caught it early and she's at the vet being treated. She hasn't vomited or had bloody stool since yesterday at 3pm. Today they said she's stable, but she still hasn't used the bathroom. But her color on her gums is pink. She's not eating or drinking on her own yet, but this is only her second night there. Any advice or hope for this one. I'm heart broken.

Answers

The vets will do the best they can. Parvo takes a few weeks to recover from Good luck.

Keep your vet in the loop or if you think something changed, go to an emergency vet ASAP. Many of the emergency vets work with you on cost if that is an issue...everything from sliding scale to free care funds. Parvo is scary, but my friend's dog recovered from it fully so just follow the vet instructions to the letter and watch the pup carefully. I will send up a lot of healing prayers for you all!!

Having a sick pet can be very stressful especially because we feel so helpless. I hope your Miley is well on the road to recovery; as rule of thumb, dogs that get past the three to four days marker with intensive veterinary care, are likely to pull through.

• There will be very important instructions for taking care of her once she is well enough to be taken home so be sure to get some written instructions.
  • Prepare some questions to ask before leaving the vet and make sure you have a number to call if you have questions in the future.
  • You can read about after care but it is best if you know you can ask questions and get immediate answers.
  • Here is one site that has a lot of information (and I do mean a LOT) but you can sort through to get answers that you need.
  • www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm
Anonymous

My dog had parvo when he was a puppy. He's seven years old now. I adopted him from a shelter in Arkansas. He was severely sick with the parvo virus. the shelter treated him and I adopted him. He came up to Massachusetts on a large air conditioned van. I love him and I'm so grateful that the shelter treated him. He has never had a health problem since. he had not had any of the shots for parvo and still survived, so I think you puppy has an even better chance of getting well. Good luck.

My dog had parvo when he was a puppy. He's seven years old now. I adopted him from a shelter in Arkansas. He was severely sick with the parvo virus. the shelter treated him and I adopted him. He came up to Massachusetts on a large air conditioned van. I love him and I'm so grateful that the shelter treated him. He has never had a health problem since. he had not had any of the shots for parvo and still survived, so I think you puppy has an even better chance of getting well. My dog, Charlie, is the white one in the photo' Good luck.

Your dog has a very good chance of surviving because you did things right for her. Getting Vet treatment right away is critical. Even if you have to do your own nursing at home with a plan from your Vet, that makes the biggest difference. This, having had one vaccination, and having stabilized makes me think your girl will make it.

My pup is going on his 4th day with parvo. The vet has been giving him under the skin fluids every 12 hours, plus antibiotics, anti-nausea meds, and probiotics. We are feeding him chicken broth, and Pedialyte with a syringe. He now drinks water on his own, but still has bloody diarrhea. Any chances he'll pull through?

Answers

You are doing everything you can to save your dog. The fact he is drinking is a good sign. I wish you luck.

For right now you and the vet are doing all they can do to help the dog. This takes time and can go on like this for a few more days, or up to a week longer. Just keep doing what you're doing. It is a good sign the dog is starting to drink water now.

This is sad and I hope your puppy is doing okay and will be completely well soon.

• Sounds like you and your vet are doing everything possible to bring him through this.
  • The biggest problem during this time seems to be the schedule of giving water/liquids.
  • I hope your vet gave you clear instructions on how often offer fluids to your dog and that you are able to follow through with this schedule as this seems to be one of the keys to saving puppies.
  • Here is one link that has some suggestions for care at home.
  • ehomeremedies.com/.../
  • The following is a link to a very extensive article on Parvo but you might want to read some of it.
  • www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm#heading15

Did your puppy make it?

My Labrador puppy is about 8 and a half weeks old. We picked him up on Sunday, and that night around 1 AM he began throwing up white froth and was making noises as though in pain. We took him to the vet the next morning when it opened and found out it was parvo, and the vet immediately put him into intensive care. He has had two vaccinations, one when he was about 4-6 weeks and one in the last week. Tuesday he was doing a lot better, but this morning, Wednesday, it has deteriorated slightly. We were told it would fluctuate, that it would get worse before it gets better. He has not had any bloody stool, he eats and drinks, but not a lot. He's hooked up to an IV, and he's still with the vet. What are his chances? We're hoping and praying that hell make it through.

Answers

Prayers for you and your pup. Follow your vets instructions to a tee and if there are any changes get him back to the vet ASAP. My friend's pup made a full recovery, but he needed round the clock monitoring until he stabalized. It sounds like you are getting to the stable time since you got him in for care quickly. Sending healing wishes! Let us know how he progresses.

If the dog is eating and drinking that is good. Since he is at the vet you are doing the best you can.

Odds are with your dog. Dogs that get proper care recover 80+ percent of the time. Since he had his shots, his chances of recovery are very good.