Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

Answers

By Sheila (Guest Post)

I believe all dogs carry the virus. It is just much more likely to cause illness in puppies. My dog has never had Parvo, but at 7 years of age she is still given shots for Parvo.

No. According to my vet once a dog has had Parvo they will not get it again. Still need vaccines for other diseases though.

Thrifty Christy is right. However, although your dog does not carry the virus, the environment, ie grass..carpeting etc. can carry the virus up to one year. Therefore, it is imparative that all other dogs have there shots (they should anyway) and that puppies be kept from anywhere parvo virus could linger.

Yes they can get Parvo again. We had a litter of puppies get parvo that had already been given the first 2 vacines in the series and they survived, very expensive treatment. anywhere from $800. to $2000. The cheapest was put in quarentine with cats at the vet and just given IV treatment.

The most expensive also had eaten acorns and had to have stomach surgery. We were told that parvo virus lives in infected grass for up to a year. My husband works for UPS and we feel he has probably brought this in on his shoes. We bleached our backyard and Mama dog never got it.

By april (Guest Post)

my dog got tested for parvo just 2 days ago and tested positive and i fear that he will die ! he is only 12 weeks he has had his shots , but some how he still has it ! i want to know will he survive and what can i give him to help :(

By Brandi (Guest Post)

I have a 10 week old puppy with parvo he has gone through his second treatment tomorrow will be his third I just want to know if anyone thinks he will make it?

By Kristen (Guest Post)

I had a lab and she had 11 puppies in her first litter. We brought her plus the 11 puppies to the vet. They all tested positive for Parvo! We were heartbroken. They ended up having to put the mama lab to sleep even though she had all of her shots. The vet said it was possible to get Parvo even with shots, but its rare. :( We saved 6 out of 11 puppies.

All we did was order this Natural Herbal stuff. It was a lot of work giving it to all of them.
Now one of those puppies, has just had puppies 2 months ago. We have been giving them that same treatment.
So far there is NO Parvo!
:)

Here is the link to the medicine we treated our dogs with:

http://parvaid.com/products.php

This stuff is like miracle in a bottle!

:]

By (Guest Post)

Dogs that have survived parvo do not get the virus again. Your yard is infected for up to four years even if you do bleach treatments. The best defense is not to introduce a new puppy into the area.

By crystal (Guest Post)

I have a female shihtuz that is 7 months old she was tested positive with parvo on Saturday july 1 we started her meds at home because we could not afford the her to stay at the vets. on the 1st she was not eating or drinking and started having bloody stool.on july 2nd she would drink water after we gave her meds.

and by july 3 she was drinking and eating chicken and walking around. here we are july 5 and she is beating up my older dog again eating her dog food and just loving like again.

By Dwane (Guest Post)

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME he had his first shot last thursday not the past thurs and he is growing great but can he catch it from her at all!!!

By Ginjour (Guest Post)

My husband brought our neighbors dog in our house last night it was cold and the owners were out of town, this dog peed on our carpet and then some. we bought a new chihuahua today. My husband then informed me that Bevo (the neighbors dog has previously had Parvo). My question is it safe to have our new pup in the house now?

By Shaun (Guest Post)

What's the chance of my dog living with parvo, caught earlier?

By KIM CANADA (Guest Post)

My 5 month old puppy has had parvo for 4 days...She was doing really well yesterday but as of today she took a turn for the worse...She cannot even stand and is making a miserable noise. I asked the vet should i put her to sleep and he said just wait another day or so she may pull through.

This is the most miserable thing to watch. My kids and i have been in tears and i miss her so much. Ive have heard that if they make it through the 4th day they should be fine. Please pray for my little tinkerbell. Thanks Kim(

By Tami (Guest Post)

Help! I need advice. I rescued a schnauzer puppy that ultimately died of parvo, even after very expensive treatment at the vet's. A friend wants me to adopt an 8 month old chihuahua puppy that has had all of her shots. However, she is only 3 pounds. What are the chances that she will contract parvo? I need educated, experienced opinions!

By Katherine (Guest Post)

Actually, after the veternarian clears you of the disease of your puppy or dog then NO your dog will not transfer it over to another. I had a mut puppy and you know he died from parvo and we buried him in a field and we visit him with our new dog whom of which is a mut to but of a rotweiler and a siberian husky and we asked our veternarian and he said our puppy will not contract it if it has all its shots.

By V (Guest Post)

My 16 week old puppy got parvo. It all started yesterday when she was extremely lethargic. We thought at first that it was something she ate and that in a day without food she would get over it. The night time came and she seemed worse, she would stand in one spot without moving with her head hanging to the ground and this smelly liquid would continuously drip out of her anus. She would try to throw up also, but all that came out was this foamy saliva.

That night I kept her away from my other two dogs, and gave her water with a dropper. The morning came and we immediately took her to the vet, they said that if we didn't give her water all night she would have died. We left her at the vets, I don't know how things are going, I really am praying that she's alright. But I guess I will have to wait until the morning to find out. screaming_in_d1g1t4l AT yahoo.com

By (Guest Post)

This Happened at shelter, and was NOT MY DOG!

A gorgeous pup came in the shelter, and the people who brought her in saw the signs and knew she had parvo! The pup was a gorgeous pit bull. SORRY I don't have a pic, and when she got to the vet, they did everything they could to save her, but she DIED! The test results showed that of course she was positive a for parvo, and she also had cockcidia!

My son recently adopted a puppy that quickly became sick with the parvo virus. He is now home and recovering, but how soon can we have our son visit us with the puppy since we have a dog at home and are concerned he may still be contagious?

Answers

Best Answer

Wait until your dog is healthy again. Make sure to disinfect with bleach. Keep the puppy out of where the other dog went to the bathroom. It can last in the yard up to a year. Make sure the puppy is fully vaccinated.

How can I test my dog at home for parvo?

By Mildred Lott from Texas City, TX

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I don't really know if there's a home test but it would be best if you have the vet do the test to be sure even if there is one. Parvo is not something to lose time diagnosing :-(

My dog went to the vet's and a dog had pravo. He has had all of his shots. He just got the last one that day. How long before I know if he has it?

By Denise

I was dog sitting three miniature Doberman Pinschers for two weeks, and the 5 month old puppy got parvo and died after I took them home. The mother and daddy dogs are older dogs, and the couple said they were up to date on their shots, but that they were also sick.

These dogs were in my fenced in back yard during the day and in a pen at night. I have a Jack Russell terrier who is 9 years old and a Chihuahua who is 10 months, and they are both up to date on their shots. Neither of my dogs are sick and haven't been out of the yard. The couple are blaming me for their puppy dying and their dogs being sick and have refused to pay me. How in the world did their dogs get parvo?

By JTYREE from Mulga, AL

We had a dog die of Parvo. How long do we wait to see if our other dogs catch it?

By bobbi

If I had dogs in my back yard that died from parvo will my dog in the front yard also get it and die?

If my dog doesn't have parvo any more, but the virus is in my house if I pet another dog would it get parvo?

By Gg

Is there an age limit for when a dog can get parvo?

By sandy helms from Bay Point, CA

Can my dogs get parvo off my girlfriend? Her dog has parvo. If so, what home remedy can I use now to eliminate it?

By marcia from Foresthill, CA

Load More