Information About Parvo

dog with parvo
Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

This is a guide about getting a puppy after losing one to parvo. Parvo is a very contagious disease, the virus can remain active in your home and yard for some time.

Puppy Smelling Flower

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

Answers

I believe all dogs carry the virus. It is just much more likely to cause illness in puppies. My dog has never had Parvo, but at 7 years of age she is still given shots for Parvo.

No. According to my vet once a dog has had Parvo they will not get it again. Still need vaccines for other diseases though.

Thrifty Christy is right. However, although your dog does not carry the virus, the environment, ie grass..carpeting etc. can carry the virus up to one year. Therefore, it is imparative that all other dogs have there shots (they should anyway) and that puppies be kept from anywhere parvo virus could linger.

Yes they can get Parvo again. We had a litter of puppies get parvo that had already been given the first 2 vacines in the series and they survived, very expensive treatment. anywhere from $800. to $2000. The cheapest was put in quarentine with cats at the vet and just given IV treatment. The most expensive also had eaten acorns and had to have stomach surgery. We were told that parvo virus lives in infected grass for up to a year. My husband works for UPS and we feel he has probably brought this in on his shoes. We bleached our backyard and Mama dog never got it.

my dog got tested for parvo just 2 days ago and tested positive and i fear that he will die ! he is only 12 weeks he has had his shots , but some how he still has it ! i want to know will he survive and what can i give him to help :(

I have a 10 week old puppy with parvo he has gone through his second treatment tomorrow will be his third I just want to know if anyone thinks he will make it?

I had a lab and she had 11 puppies in her first litter. We brought her plus the 11 puppies to the vet. They all tested positive for Parvo! We were heartbroken. They ended up having to put the mama lab to sleep even though she had all of her shots. The vet said it was possible to get Parvo even with shots, but its rare. :( We saved 6 out of 11 puppies. All we did was order this Natural Herbal stuff. It was a lot of work giving it to all of them.

Now one of those puppies, has just had puppies 2 months ago. We have been giving them that same treatment.

So far there is NO Parvo!

:)

Here is the link to the medicine we treated our dogs with:

http://parvaid.com/products.php

This stuff is like miracle in a bottle!

:]

Dogs that have survived parvo do not get the virus again. Your yard is infected for up to four years even if you do bleach treatments. The best defense is not to introduce a new puppy into the area.

I have a female shihtuz that is 7 months old she was tested positive with parvo on Saturday july 1 we started her meds at home because we could not afford the her to stay at the vets. on the 1st she was not eating or drinking and started having bloody stool.on july 2nd she would drink water after we gave her meds. and by july 3 she was drinking and eating chicken and walking around. here we are july 5 and she is beating up my older dog again eating her dog food and just loving like again.

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME he had his first shot last thursday not the past thurs and he is growing great but can he catch it from her at all!!!

My husband brought our neighbors dog in our house last night it was cold and the owners were out of town, this dog peed on our carpet and then some. we bought a new chihuahua today. My husband then informed me that Bevo (the neighbors dog has previously had Parvo). My question is it safe to have our new pup in the house now?

What's the chance of my dog living with parvo, caught earlier?

My 5 month old puppy has had parvo for 4 days...She was doing really well yesterday but as of today she took a turn for the worse...She cannot even stand and is making a miserable noise. I asked the vet should i put her to sleep and he said just wait another day or so she may pull through. This is the most miserable thing to watch. My kids and i have been in tears and i miss her so much. Ive have heard that if they make it through the 4th day they should be fine. Please pray for my little tinkerbell. Thanks Kim(

Help! I need advice. I rescued a schnauzer puppy that ultimately died of parvo, even after very expensive treatment at the vet's. A friend wants me to adopt an 8 month old chihuahua puppy that has had all of her shots. However, she is only 3 pounds. What are the chances that she will contract parvo? I need educated, experienced opinions!

Actually, after the veternarian clears you of the disease of your puppy or dog then NO your dog will not transfer it over to another. I had a mut puppy and you know he died from parvo and we buried him in a field and we visit him with our new dog whom of which is a mut to but of a rotweiler and a siberian husky and we asked our veternarian and he said our puppy will not contract it if it has all its shots.

My 16 week old puppy got parvo. It all started yesterday when she was extremely lethargic. We thought at first that it was something she ate and that in a day without food she would get over it. The night time came and she seemed worse, she would stand in one spot without moving with her head hanging to the ground and this smelly liquid would continuously drip out of her anus. She would try to throw up also, but all that came out was this foamy saliva.

That night I kept her away from my other two dogs, and gave her water with a dropper. The morning came and we immediately took her to the vet, they said that if we didn't give her water all night she would have died. We left her at the vets, I don't know how things are going, I really am praying that she's alright. But I guess I will have to wait until the morning to find out. screaming_in_d1g1t4l AT yahoo.com

This Happened at shelter, and was NOT MY DOG!

A gorgeous pup came in the shelter, and the people who brought her in saw the signs and knew she had parvo! The pup was a gorgeous pit bull. SORRY I don't have a pic, and when she got to the vet, they did everything they could to save her, but she DIED! The test results showed that of course she was positive a for parvo, and she also had cockcidia!

Well..a little over a week ago my aunts dogs somehow caught parvo, They got very ill. One lived and one died.

A few days later dog caught parvo( i have 5 dogs, 4 miniture dashhouds and one mut), the first dog caught it, We took the 4 puppies to the vets, but only one had it. So they kept it and the next day they sent it home, still sick. We tried keeping it from the other dogs, but they all caught it. Me and my family have been in miserable pain since. I can't even stand to look at them. There so little and helpless. Please hope my dogs get better, Thanks kay...

I'm not sure about if they still carry the virus, but I do have some info that may help! Go to this website to find out a bunch about the virus... I am doing a presentation on the Canine Parvovirus for my Vet Assistant class!

http://www.adel  om.au/parvovirus

&

http://dogparvosymptoms.net/

There are ways of curing your dogs of parvo. It may be spendy but it's well worth the try, and if your pets don't have Parvo, take the precautions! Vaccinate your pets. If you see any of the signs, contact and take your dog into the vet Immediately! I hope I could help some. Good luck all, and God Bless! Your pets are in my prayers!

Sincerely, Keri

I want people out there to know that if your dog gets parvo and you cant afford to have the vet treat them, which I couldn't for my rott, there is a ways to save them. I did this and I will not lie to you it took 4 days of nothing but care for my dog. Kane was at his last ends with parvo, he had pure blood stool, and vomiting up every bit of water he drank. I couldn't afford the thousands of dollars it took to save him through the hospital, so my vet sent me home with an IV bag that I put under his skin so that he wouldn't dehydrate.

They gave me antibiotics that I had to give him orally, and let me tell you they came up a few times so I had to keep shoving them back down his throat till they stayed. I got baby pedialite and every hour on the hour I would fill his cheeks up with this so that he got all the enzymes he needed. Do not try to feed your dog right now, if you know nothing about parvo it is a very painful thing. Their stomach linings are literally being eaten away from this virus, anything acid or fatty will tear them up and make them in more pain.

When they start keeping the water down, or keeping most of it down, you can introduce them to some boiled chicken, tear the fat off and let it cool, they may not take it right away, they know when they wanna eat so don't panic if they don't eat for 3 days, Kane didn't eat for 4 days.

I know that my dog is a huge part of my life. I don't know what I would have done if I lost him, so if anyone needs any home care information please email me at melissa_shmkr AT yahoo.com. I am far from having a lot of money so my technique was very inexpensive, and Im telling you if my dog made it you can save yours, don't get all down on everything you read, though it might be true fact about the virus, you CAN save your dog with things I bought at the grocery store. Good luck, and I hope everyone's dogs stay healthy.

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

Answer Was this helpful? 1

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

Answers

Best Answer

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

How can I test my dog at home for parvo?

By Mildred from Texas City, TX

Anonymous
Best Answer

I don't really know if there's a home test but it would be best if you have the vet do the test to be sure even if there is one. Parvo is not something to lose time diagnosing :-(

My puppy stopped eating and drinking on Thursday. He is with the vet being treated for the parvovirus. Also a surgery was done to correct a telescopic intestine. He was taking forced feedings yesterday, but today started vomiting in the afternoon. Will he make it, he is only 5 months old?

My puppy was tested for parvo and the test came back negative, but the next day he was vomiting. Can that be parvo or something else?

By Becca N. from Las Vegas NV

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My dog went to the vet's and a dog had pravo. He has had all of his shots. He just got the last one that day. How long before I know if he has it?

By Denise

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 7 week old Lab pup. She's had her first shots. My older Lab is 2 years old. He had parvo when he was around 5 or 6 months old. He survived at the vet. Will this pup have a big chance of getting parvo? What is the life span of parvo in the sun, in your yard?

My Yorkie is 15 weeks and has had parvo for 5 days, but she is in the hospital on an IV. She still has vomiting and diarrhea a little, and won't really eat. The vet said she has been standing up a little and looking around. Will she recover? Is she on the road of recovery? How long does it usually take a puppy to recover? Thanks a lot.

We just bought two puppies from the same breeder about a month ago and they were perfectly healthy until about a week and a half ago when one of the puppies became very sick with vomiting and diarrhoea. The vet originally thought it was gastro so we kept him at home with our other puppy and they were in very close contact all the time whilst he was sick, eating from the same bowl, etc.

However after about a week our sick puppy was not getting any better so we took him to the vet and they confirmed it was parvo. However they thought it was highly unusual that our other pup did not get parvo from him, so they kept him at the vet's from then on for about 6 nights. We just brought him home tonight.

The vet thinks we should separate both puppies for the next month so we have our recovering pup in the laundry all by himself and he won't be coming out for the month because we can't risk our other puppy getting sick. Should we be bothering? Wouldn't our healthy pup already be sick, having been exposed for over a week to his illness plus being in the area in which he slept and went to the toilet frequently? He is still not showing any symptoms after over 2 weeks.

I am very worried about the adaption process that our sick pup is missing out on because I feel as though a month locked away in a laundry with no one being able to play with him or cuddle him is very bad!

By Madison

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I was dog sitting three miniature Doberman Pinschers for two weeks, and the 5 month old puppy got parvo and died after I took them home. The mother and daddy dogs are older dogs, and the couple said they were up to date on their shots, but that they were also sick.

These dogs were in my fenced in back yard during the day and in a pen at night. I have a Jack Russell terrier who is 9 years old and a Chihuahua who is 10 months, and they are both up to date on their shots. Neither of my dogs are sick and haven't been out of the yard. The couple are blaming me for their puppy dying and their dogs being sick and have refused to pay me. How in the world did their dogs get parvo?

By JTYREE from Mulga, AL

We had a dog die of Parvo. How long do we wait to see if our other dogs catch it?

By Bobbi

If I had dogs in my back yard that died from parvo will my dog in the front yard also get it and die?

My Ruford started vomiting and had diarrhea on April 20th. I took him to our animal hospital about 3 am and he was positive for parvo. They kept him there on an IV and other meds. He was released on April 22nd and we brought him home. He is still on metronidazole 250 mg 2× a day and famotidine 20mg one a day as well as cerenia 60mg one time a day. I have him eating chicken and rice with cottage cheese and drinking chicken broth and ice chips. He had a bowel movment today for the first time; it was not solid, but not really diarrhea either it had some of what looked like old blood in it. But ever since he had his bowel movment he has been acting really tired and not really eating as much. His vet said as long as he still eats and has no diarrhea or vomiting he should be fine. This is day 4. Does anyone know how long his recovery time should be and has this happend to anyone else with their pet?

I recently moved in behind my parents' home were they have 6 dogs and couple of puppies. After I stayed there for 2 months and my puppy who is 6 months old all of a sudden caught parvo. She was inside and she would go outside sometimes. Does it sound like she really had parvo? None of my parents' dogs had parvo and if it was in the yard wouldn't my parents' dogs have gotten parvo too? The vet said she tested positive for parvo. She is better now, but would it be safe to bring home a six week old puppy? I'm really concerned and confused.

My puppy, a 7 week old Leonberger, has had parvo and stayed at the ER for a week. How long is her recovery from this virus? She still has frequent mucous poops, but is having a good appetite and frequent urination as well. Is this normal? This would be her first week at home coming from the hospital. I am concerned of her frequent pooping and urination. Please advise. Thank you!

My granddaughter purchased 2 puppies from a breeder on Craig's List at 6 weeks old. At 9 weeks the male started having symptoms of parvo. This was verified by a vet and he is in treatment and was quarantined at the vet's yesterday. The sister started vomiting this morning and has been rushed to the vet. Could the pups have had parvo when purchased and it only be showing up now?

Can a puppy who's been vaccinated for Parvo still get it? My 18 week old beagle/basset mix has had diarrhea and been throwing up. He has been a lot less hyper than normal but we have had all of his shots done. I'm wondering if maybe he's just sick, this is the 3rd day of his diarrhea. We did recently change his food and he is still eating and drinking fine though. Normally he is very playful and hyper but lately you have to make him play. I am very worried!

Kaity from Woodstock, GA

How do I to prevent my puppy from getting the parvo virus?

We are getting two puppies and one has parvo, but is improving. When we get both puppies together will the puppy that doesn't have parvo be at risk?

My dog Peanut has been diagnosed with Parvo. She has been receiving treatment for about a day and doesn't show any signs of improvement and still has really bad diarrhea. Is this normal when treating parvo? How long does it take for antibiotics to kick in?

My 4 week old puppy was being showed off by one of my daughter's friends when I learned their pup had just died of parvo. She was held the entire time and never touched the ground or any furniture. As soon as I got home I stripped of my shoes and clothes took a shower and sprayed the bathroom and the entire floor with bleach. Is my pup at risk at this time? And what should I do?

I just ran into a friend at the store. I gave her a hug. As we were talking she tells me that she is treating her home for parvo because she rescued a dog and found out it had parvo. I came straight home and threw my clothes into the wash and I took a shower. My question is,can I spread the parvo virus to my dogs and 1 week old puppies now that I have showered and washed my clothes?

The mother had parvo about 3 years ago and now has a litter of puppies. I was told that as long as they were nursing they would be immune to the parvo. My question is what about after they are not nursing anymore. Are they going to have parvo? I'm very scared about this.

I need advice. I recently bought a puppy the day it was born on 3/6/16. I also found another puppy who was 10 to 12 weeks old, and adopted her; thinking it would be wonderful to have them grow up together. The 2nd puppy is now in the hospital fighting for her life against parvo. We've only had her a week. She's been in the hospital almost a week.

We are expected to pick up the new puppy around the end of April. I already paid for the first puppy and can't get my money back. If I thoroughly clean and beg the breeder to keep the puppy through the second set of shots are we safe? The newborn is a Boxer and the parvo puppy is a Staffordshire Terrier.

Load More