Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

This is a guide about getting a puppy after losing one to parvo. Parvo is a very contagious disease, the virus can remain active in your home and yard for some time.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

Answers

By Sheila (Guest Post)

I believe all dogs carry the virus. It is just much more likely to cause illness in puppies. My dog has never had Parvo, but at 7 years of age she is still given shots for Parvo.

No. According to my vet once a dog has had Parvo they will not get it again. Still need vaccines for other diseases though.

Thrifty Christy is right. However, although your dog does not carry the virus, the environment, ie grass..carpeting etc. can carry the virus up to one year. Therefore, it is imparative that all other dogs have there shots (they should anyway) and that puppies be kept from anywhere parvo virus could linger.

Yes they can get Parvo again. We had a litter of puppies get parvo that had already been given the first 2 vacines in the series and they survived, very expensive treatment. anywhere from $800. to $2000. The cheapest was put in quarentine with cats at the vet and just given IV treatment.

The most expensive also had eaten acorns and had to have stomach surgery. We were told that parvo virus lives in infected grass for up to a year. My husband works for UPS and we feel he has probably brought this in on his shoes. We bleached our backyard and Mama dog never got it.

By april (Guest Post)

my dog got tested for parvo just 2 days ago and tested positive and i fear that he will die ! he is only 12 weeks he has had his shots , but some how he still has it ! i want to know will he survive and what can i give him to help :(

By Brandi (Guest Post)

I have a 10 week old puppy with parvo he has gone through his second treatment tomorrow will be his third I just want to know if anyone thinks he will make it?

By Kristen (Guest Post)

I had a lab and she had 11 puppies in her first litter. We brought her plus the 11 puppies to the vet. They all tested positive for Parvo! We were heartbroken. They ended up having to put the mama lab to sleep even though she had all of her shots. The vet said it was possible to get Parvo even with shots, but its rare. :( We saved 6 out of 11 puppies.

All we did was order this Natural Herbal stuff. It was a lot of work giving it to all of them.
Now one of those puppies, has just had puppies 2 months ago. We have been giving them that same treatment.
So far there is NO Parvo!
:)

Here is the link to the medicine we treated our dogs with:

http://parvaid.com/products.php

This stuff is like miracle in a bottle!

:]

By (Guest Post)

Dogs that have survived parvo do not get the virus again. Your yard is infected for up to four years even if you do bleach treatments. The best defense is not to introduce a new puppy into the area.

By crystal (Guest Post)

I have a female shihtuz that is 7 months old she was tested positive with parvo on Saturday july 1 we started her meds at home because we could not afford the her to stay at the vets. on the 1st she was not eating or drinking and started having bloody stool.on july 2nd she would drink water after we gave her meds.

and by july 3 she was drinking and eating chicken and walking around. here we are july 5 and she is beating up my older dog again eating her dog food and just loving like again.

By Dwane (Guest Post)

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME

I want to know if my friends dog "Lucy" who survived the horrible dieseise a lil over a month ago can pass it on to my Australian Shepherd pup "Dewey" if i introduce him to her tomorrow BUT its at my house and Lucy has only been there once can she pass it to him PLEASE HELP ME he had his first shot last thursday not the past thurs and he is growing great but can he catch it from her at all!!!

By Ginjour (Guest Post)

My husband brought our neighbors dog in our house last night it was cold and the owners were out of town, this dog peed on our carpet and then some. we bought a new chihuahua today. My husband then informed me that Bevo (the neighbors dog has previously had Parvo). My question is it safe to have our new pup in the house now?

By Shaun (Guest Post)

What's the chance of my dog living with parvo, caught earlier?

By KIM CANADA (Guest Post)

My 5 month old puppy has had parvo for 4 days...She was doing really well yesterday but as of today she took a turn for the worse...She cannot even stand and is making a miserable noise. I asked the vet should i put her to sleep and he said just wait another day or so she may pull through.

This is the most miserable thing to watch. My kids and i have been in tears and i miss her so much. Ive have heard that if they make it through the 4th day they should be fine. Please pray for my little tinkerbell. Thanks Kim(

By Tami (Guest Post)

Help! I need advice. I rescued a schnauzer puppy that ultimately died of parvo, even after very expensive treatment at the vet's. A friend wants me to adopt an 8 month old chihuahua puppy that has had all of her shots. However, she is only 3 pounds. What are the chances that she will contract parvo? I need educated, experienced opinions!

By Katherine (Guest Post)

Actually, after the veternarian clears you of the disease of your puppy or dog then NO your dog will not transfer it over to another. I had a mut puppy and you know he died from parvo and we buried him in a field and we visit him with our new dog whom of which is a mut to but of a rotweiler and a siberian husky and we asked our veternarian and he said our puppy will not contract it if it has all its shots.

My dog is 11 months old and up to date on his shots. Can he get parvo from a puppy with no shots that is just now 6 weeks old today?

Answers

Best Answer

The vaccinations are to protect your dog against the Parvovirus. When the dog is a puppy the first series of vaccinations is for parvo. Afterwards, they get their yearly vaccinations and one more vaccination for parvo.

Your dog should be protected against the parvo virus. However, it is necessary to keep an eye on your dog and see if he shows any symptoms of the virus. Normally, this happens within 24 to 48 hours of being exposed to the virus.

If your dog starts throwing up take him to your vet immediately. He could have the virus even though he was vaccinated against it.

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

I have a 5 year old Chihuahua. He started showing signs of not feeling good on Thursday, (loss of appetite and lethargic). On Friday he started throwing up, no diarrhea or blood but had trouble going. He kept drinking water, but would heave and throw it up shortly after. I took him to the vet on Saturday. He was diagnosed with parvo. We decided to leave him there for treatment, cause we have other cats and dogs. But we can't see him cause they don't want him getting excited and thinking he's going home. He has stopped vomiting, but hasn't pooped. They say his tail wags every time they talk to him, and they're gonna try to feed him today. It's now Monday, but all they could tell me on Saturday was he had a 50/50 chance. I'm worried we didn't take him in soon enough (2 days after first symptoms). We thought he was just feeling puny. And I'm worried cause he's so small. And I'm worried if I made the right choice leaving him for treatment instead of home treatment. (Vet treatment sounded like his best chances)

Answers

Best Answer

The vet was definitely the right choice. You also need to clean your homes surfaces with a diluted bleach solution to kill the virus and protect your other dogs.

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

Answers

Best Answer

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

How can I test my dog at home for parvo?

By Mildred Lott from Texas City, TX

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I don't really know if there's a home test but it would be best if you have the vet do the test to be sure even if there is one. Parvo is not something to lose time diagnosing :-(

My puppy stopped eating and drinking on Thursday. He is with the vet being treated for the parvovirus. Also a surgery was done to correct a telescopic intestine. He was taking forced feedings yesterday, but today started vomiting in the afternoon. Will he make it, he is only 5 months old?

My puppy was tested for parvo and the test came back negative, but the next day he was vomiting. Can that be parvo or something else?

By Becca N. from Las Vegas NV

My dog went to the vet's and a dog had pravo. He has had all of his shots. He just got the last one that day. How long before I know if he has it?

By Denise

I was dog sitting three miniature Doberman Pinschers for two weeks, and the 5 month old puppy got parvo and died after I took them home. The mother and daddy dogs are older dogs, and the couple said they were up to date on their shots, but that they were also sick.

These dogs were in my fenced in back yard during the day and in a pen at night. I have a Jack Russell terrier who is 9 years old and a Chihuahua who is 10 months, and they are both up to date on their shots. Neither of my dogs are sick and haven't been out of the yard. The couple are blaming me for their puppy dying and their dogs being sick and have refused to pay me. How in the world did their dogs get parvo?

By JTYREE from Mulga, AL

I have a 7 week old Lab pup. She's had her first shots. My older Lab is 2 years old. He had parvo when he was around 5 or 6 months old. He survived at the vet. Will this pup have a big chance of getting parvo? What is the life span of parvo in the sun, in your yard?

My Yorkie is 15 weeks and has had parvo for 5 days, but she is in the hospital on an IV. She still has vomiting and diarrhea a little, and won't really eat. The vet said she has been standing up a little and looking around. Will she recover? Is she on the road of recovery? How long does it usually take a puppy to recover? Thanks a lot.

We just bought two puppies from the same breeder about a month ago and they were perfectly healthy until about a week and a half ago when one of the puppies became very sick with vomiting and diarrhoea. The vet originally thought it was gastro so we kept him at home with our other puppy and they were in very close contact all the time whilst he was sick, eating from the same bowl, etc.

However after about a week our sick puppy was not getting any better so we took him to the vet and they confirmed it was parvo. However they thought it was highly unusual that our other pup did not get parvo from him, so they kept him at the vet's from then on for about 6 nights. We just brought him home tonight.

The vet thinks we should separate both puppies for the next month so we have our recovering pup in the laundry all by himself and he won't be coming out for the month because we can't risk our other puppy getting sick. Should we be bothering? Wouldn't our healthy pup already be sick, having been exposed for over a week to his illness plus being in the area in which he slept and went to the toilet frequently? He is still not showing any symptoms after over 2 weeks.

I am very worried about the adaption process that our sick pup is missing out on because I feel as though a month locked away in a laundry with no one being able to play with him or cuddle him is very bad!

By Madison

We had a dog die of Parvo. How long do we wait to see if our other dogs catch it?

By bobbi

I have a 69lb 8 month old Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog puppy. Friday night he didn't eat his night time treat. Saturday he seemed a little tired and did not eat much. Sunday more tired and around 2 am he started throwing up. Around 6 am he was still getting sick and would not drink or eat so I started forcing 1/2 water 1/2 Pedialyte in a turkey baster every 30 - 45 min. By 1 he was lethargic, dry heaving, and had one small bout of diarrhea and he looked like he was going to pass.

I went to emergency vet and they gave him fluids under the skin, antibiotics, and something for nausea. I got home around 3, by 4 the fluid humps were gone and no more vomiting. By 6 he was drinking on his own again. This morning he vomited again, once, and had no interest in water. I took him to my regular vet first thing this morning and he had a small amount of blood in his stool and tested positive for parvo. He did walk around this morning and wag his butt at the nurse. Now he's getting fluids and meds through an IV. I've called 3 times since I left. One girl said he was doing good and the other said he's the same as when I brought him in.

My question is what's next? This is day 4, I guess. Is he out of the woods? Can I sleep more than 45 min at a time tonight not worry if he will be alive when I wake? How long does it last? The vet would not directly give me answers. Thank you for any info in advance!

If I had dogs in my back yard that died from parvo will my dog in the front yard also get it and die?

My Ruford started vomiting and had diarrhea on April 20th. I took him to our animal hospital about 3 am and he was positive for parvo. They kept him there on an IV and other meds. He was released on April 22nd and we brought him home. He is still on metronidazole 250 mg 2× a day and famotidine 20mg one a day as well as cerenia 60mg one time a day. I have him eating chicken and rice with cottage cheese and drinking chicken broth and ice chips. He had a bowel movment today for the first time; it was not solid, but not really diarrhea either it had some of what looked like old blood in it. But ever since he had his bowel movment he has been acting really tired and not really eating as much. His vet said as long as he still eats and has no diarrhea or vomiting he should be fine. This is day 4. Does anyone know how long his recovery time should be and has this happend to anyone else with their pet?

How can parvo be airborne if it's only contracted by contact with feces or vomit? Plus I have read that bleach kills parvo. If that is true how is it able to still be around for 6 months to a year possibly longer? I'm so confused on that. Can someone explain this to me?

I recently moved in behind my parents' home were they have 6 dogs and couple of puppies. After I stayed there for 2 months and my puppy who is 6 months old all of a sudden caught parvo. She was inside and she would go outside sometimes. Does it sound like she really had parvo? None of my parents' dogs had parvo and if it was in the yard wouldn't my parents' dogs have gotten parvo too? The vet said she tested positive for parvo. She is better now, but would it be safe to bring home a six week old puppy? I'm really concerned and confused.

My puppy, a 7 week old Leonberger, has had parvo and stayed at the ER for a week. How long is her recovery from this virus? She still has frequent mucous poops, but is having a good appetite and frequent urination as well. Is this normal? This would be her first week at home coming from the hospital. I am concerned of her frequent pooping and urination. Please advise. Thank you!

My granddaughter purchased 2 puppies from a breeder on Craig's List at 6 weeks old. At 9 weeks the male started having symptoms of parvo. This was verified by a vet and he is in treatment and was quarantined at the vet's yesterday. The sister started vomiting this morning and has been rushed to the vet. Could the pups have had parvo when purchased and it only be showing up now?

Load More