How Can I Tell If My Dog Is a Pit Bull?

Several dog breeds resemble each other. Determining the breed of a dog can be tricky. This is a guide about, "How can I tell if my dog is a Pit Bull?".

Is my dog a full Pit Bull or a Pit Bull mix?

Janessa

Answers

Best Answer

He looks just like my chopper only in this pic chopper was only 1 month old. Chopper is a American Pitbull/Boxer Mix. Looks like that is what your dog is. Don't listen to what everyone says about them they are a great breed and very loyal to the owners.

Without my knowledge, my teen daughter bought a puppy. She has pictures of the mom and dad and they both look like pit bulls to me, but I really do not know much about the breed. She is 15 weeks now and approximately 18 lbs. and woke up with one ear standing up today!

Our vet thinks there is no reason for a DNA test because in her opinion she's a full blooded Pit. I love her to death and she is the sweetest thing, but she is a handful. I guess my concern is with training her properly and what not. I think her breed type would come in handy since she is already bit challenging.

Answers

When a dog is small it goes through a lot of changes. Your dog can change in so many ways as he grows up. If you are interested in finding out the breed of your dog here is what you can do:

Step 1
Make an appointment with your local vet. While at the vet's make sure you have your puppy vaccinated. This is the most important step to a happy life for your puppy. Parvo is a deadly sickness and it affects so many puppies.

Step 2
Ask your vet to perform a DNA test on your puppy. He can give you an answer as to the breed or mixed breeds of your dog.

Step 3
If the test is too expensive you can find a home DNA test on Amazon. Order the test and perform the test at home. This is how you can find out the breed of your dog.

Thank you for your response. She has been to the vet and will have her 4 month ch this week. I wasn't able to take her last time my daghter did.

The vet said she could do the DNA but didn't feel it was necessary after her evaluation. Guess I was questioning it.

Many people are curious if their dogs are pure breed or not. The test is expensive and I think it isn't necessary. I guess if you are a breeder then it would be necessary to find out if the dog was pure breed or mixed. If she is your home pet, love her and give her plenty of places to run. Larger dogs love to run.

Looks like a bit of a mix (my best friend here is an expert) but I would try an at-home DNA test kit :)

Thank you! Upon some Google searching there is a controversy with pits her color. Some say mix some say not so.

I just wanted to pin it down some for training and what not. Too, they do change a lot as puppies. I have a picture at 8 wks and she looks diff just since then.

As puppies grow they change quickly both in appearance and attitude/behavior. A vet can usually tell more about a breed than the average person but they cannot tell for sure about a pure bred versus a mix. Perhaps the vet was talking to your teen age daughter about not needing a DNA test as they are expensive and they may have figured the puppy was close enough to a pure bred that in her case it would not matter. A DNA test from a vet is usually more expensive than a home test kit.

Step 1
It seems you have fallen in love with this puppy so you must have a reason for wanting to know more about the puppy. Do you feel that your daughter paid for a pure bred and may have been misled/cheated?

Step 2
There is more discussion about this color pit than about other types so that may be part of the problem.

Step 3
I do not know if your daughter purchased her puppy from a breeder, a pet store or a private owner but I feel sure you know that anyone of those could have "manufactured" the photos of the puppies parents so that is not a good "fact" to rely on.

Step 4
If you feel that you need more than private pet owner's or even your vet's opinion then you would have to get a DNA test.

DNA test kits are getting more popular so the prices have been lowered but tests still cost between $55 - $250.00. Test kits can be purchased from most pet stores, on-line (Amazon, eBay, etc) or from your vet.
Here is a link that explains about the test and also a link to a sample DNA test kit.

https://www.can  esting-for-dogs/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I keep trying to add my answer, but it disappeared. Anyway I have had 3 and I don't think your baby is mixed. Seeing her Jaws from the side view she looks like my girls, they were different colors and I now have a blue nose ;they tend to be "leggier", but I can't tell how much taller yours will be, but love the color. Be careful for sunburn especially in her pretty ears, use sunscreen! You'll definitely be able to tell if you get her around another female or... They aren't as dog friendly as they are people friendly. They are fun, energetic pets, work on obedience EARLY. When they say "bull headed" they are Talking about them. They love most kids but don't like teasing don't fetch well, they'd rather have you chase them super easy to house break because they are people pleasers so don't get too angry at them if they make a mistake, they'll actually mope and sigh. Your family is just going to have lots of fun and love and be diligent about parvo. Enjoy her shes too beautiful... Be careful about thieves. MY trainer Uncle Matty warned me to look out for them

I've answered it 3 times. The last v one is on Facebook to you but yes she's a pit bull and beautiful so be careful about thieves, use sunscreen on her she's the same as a white one pink!you can tell by her side view it's her Jaws that give her the distinctive pit bull face and they are lovers of people, super energetic amazing dogs, super intelligent, not friendly with other dogs of the same sex.. Especially females. Enjoy your baby!

I've just gotten an American Bulldog puppy, many people who meet her instantly start questioning me on if she's a Pit Bull, or even telling me she's a Pit Bull! I'm pretty sure she is not, but all the comments are making me doubt myself. Pit Bulls are banned where I live so I think that's why I just need some reassurance (my vets are useless they originally wrote down that she was a Staffy).

I want if my dog is a Pit Bull. She has the color and displays traits of a Pit Bull, but her mouth looks a bit too long, also her head isn't big.

Answers

Only a DNA test will tell. It looks to me like it has a mix of several breeds in her.

I do not think so but young dogs change very quickly as they grow so it is even difficult for an expert to tell breeds by a photo.
Doggie DNA test are really popular now but the cost is still $50 - 200 dollars for a test kit. These can be purchased from many pet stores, on line (Amazon, eBay, and others), and from your vet.
If your puppy is due to see a vet then they may be able to tell you a little but a DNA test is the only way to know for sure.

Here is a link that explains about the DNA test and a link that show a sample of on-line kit available.

http://www.akc.  -complete-guide/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I see some hound in the face, but a DNA test is the only way to know for certain.

This is a very common question on the site. Many people wonder what the exact breed of their dog is. Truthfully, it is hard to tell without a DNA test. You can either purchase a test online or ask your vet to do one for you.

Looks like a pit mix. Get an at home DnA test if you must know. Good luck!!

Anonymous

Thanks I was thinking the same!

Definitely not a pit in a breeder and thats a mix

He is 3 months old. I have no idea of what breed he is. He was a rescue. Some people say he looks part Pit and part Shepherd.

We found her couple of days ago. She is 3 months old based on what we have been told. She's really athletic, she jumps on me and my girlfriend a lot and she just likes to play 24/7. I felt kinda bad the other night because she saw a little dog and she just charged at him, but then again the other dog was barking at us. She just went for the dog, but I don't understand because we have been seeing her around and she was playing with same dog. Then a couple of days later she tries to attack the other dog. When we saw her around she was friendly with everybody that she saw. Also, she has a clean shiny coat and looks healthy.

And if it's a Pit do you know what type of dog food we should give her?

We also been told she's an American Pit Bull terrier or could have Lab in her. I don't know, but she is athletic and loves to play fight.

Answers

The only way to determine a dog breed is to have a DNA test done.

This is one of the most asked questions on the site:

1. A DNA test is actually the only way to determine if your dog is a full breed or mixed breed.
  2. Vet\s can do the test for you in their office and it is quite expensive.
  3. However, there is some good news. You can now purchase a home DNA kit online or at some local pet shops in your area.
  4. Purchase the test and do it yourself at home.
  5. You will have the answers you are looking for in a matter of minutes.

This puppy does look like pit bull Very cute.

It is at least part but it's hard to tell at this angle at this age. You'll need to watch as it grows, how its muscles develop and if it's got very bulky shoulders.

Can anyone tell if my dog is an American Pit Bull terrier?

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Janessa

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If you want to find out if your dog is a Pit Bull check out some of the canine DNA sites. Your vet can do the blood draw and send it to the laboratory of your choice. (03/30/2008)

By mmclift

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Looks like a pit mix to me. (03/31/2008)

By sandy

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Could have boxer in it too! (05/27/2008)

By Courtney

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Take your dog to the vet and ask his/her opinion. (07/13/2008)

By Robin from Dover, FL

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I have a puppy that's 1/3 Bull Mastiff and 2/3 Pit Bull and your little guy looks almost like mine did when he was that small.

Can't really say for sure, but with the markings I'd guess he's possibly a cross with something. So adorable! (11/21/2008)

By Mal

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

PetCo sells a DNA kit. You swab the dogs mouth and mail it to a lab. Results seem to come around 4-6 weeks and I've seen as many as 6 breed DNA's from a single dog.

Also, the locking of the jaw is a myth. PBT's have incredible bite strength and the will to hold on to whatever they have in their mouth. There is no biological mechanism that "locks" the jaw. It's just pure power and determination to not let go. (12/31/2008)

By Pitty Pro

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My puppy is 5 mo. old. She is a German Shepherd x Pit Bull Terrier. She looked almost exactly like the ones on here! We have a Staffy and my parents own a GSD. My baby mentally, so far, is like a GSD, with a calm temperament and likes to test my dominance! Very, very smart and loves to jump fences and wander. I wouldn't change her for the world! (09/08/2009)

By Victoria

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Here is Baby as a puppy at 5 weeks. (09/08/2009)

By Victoria

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

This is my dog Rocky at 6 weeks, 1/2 Boxer and 1/2 Australian Shepherd. Great dog! Very smart. He looks a lot like many of the pups on this page. Great mix. (09/10/2010)

By Kel

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Rocky, again at 7 months, 1/2 Boxer, 1/2 Australian Shepherd.
(09/10/2010)

By Kel

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?
I recently got a dog that I thought was a lab mix. Now she (Mocha) looks more like a pit every day. How can I tell if she is a pit?

Darnell from Lithonia, Ga

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If her fur is VERY short, unlike labs and if her jaws are more pronounced as she gets older. Labs are large breed dogs and Pits are medium sized so that should help you as she matures. To me she looks like a Pit mix. You can never really tell until she reaches about 6 to 7 months old. (01/11/2008)

By Megan

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well, this probably isn't frugal, but I read that you can now have DNA testing done on your dog to determine what it's ancestry is. There was an article and photographs of different dogs. In the captions it explained what was discovered, Australian shepherd, border collie, chow mix, for example. I can't remember where I saw the article, but it appeared recently in a magazine. (01/11/2008)

By SusannL

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Some breeds can lock their jaws. Our Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Kuma) holds on to rope (locks his jaw on) so well that you can lift him 1m off the ground.

Here is a picture of him at around 6 months old.

Your vet will most likely be able to tell you too. (01/12/2008)

By monica

RE: How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I would sign up for obedience classes; a reputable trainer should be able to assist you both with breed recognition and assisting with any breed specific challenges or issues you might have. http://www.dogpro.org/ is a good place to locate a good trainer in your area. There are also many bull breed Yahoo groups that would be happy to look at photos and help you out. Good luck! Your dog is a cutie; please do not give up on her just because you think she might be a pit bull mix. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Depending on the way her head and body shapes as she gets older will help you determine whether or not she has pit in her. My pit/lab looked just like a pit until he was about 8 months then you could see the lab in him because of his longer legs. (01/12/2008)

By Alaina Mason

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My daughter has a "lab mix" 5 year old that started out looking like a lab puppy until the ears gave her away, lab ears lie flat against the head. Abby's ears go every which way depending on what's going on. She's the best, most loving friendly dog ever. It's all in the training. (01/13/2008)

By Chris B

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

To me you puppy looks like it has Pit bull in it. I am a Vet but, you can't always tell from pictures. Not all pit bulls ears stick up, you get there ears cut if you want the ears up, they're originally flapped down. But, look at the paws, and if it is about over 2 and 1/2 inches. It is most likely a pit.

(01/14/2008)

By BREANNA

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

What a cutie!
And she does look *exactly* like our Lab-Pit ... Our dog was completely black with big paws and was a great family pet for over 15 yrs!

She was very strong.. but never a problem to our family or to anyone else or to any other animal in fact she was a VERY friendly animal!

We miss her! :( (01/15/2008)

By Joy

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

A mature lab has a blocky head, and a Pit has a more triangular head. You need the opinion of a person who can see your dog in real life, not from a little picture. Sorry, but ask your vet whom to ask. Good looking dog! (01/16/2008)

By Kim Churchman

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well she looks a lot like my pit mix did, he`s almost 2 years old now very strong big and about the sweetest dog you can ever meet.
If she is, don`t just give up on her with the right training from the start a pit is harmless mine plays with neighbor hood kids as well as my own kids and grandkids (01/23/2008)

By gaby

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

The ears are very like pit bulls ears. (02/28/2008)

By eggy.