How Can I Tell If My Dog Is a Pit Bull?

Several dog breeds resemble each other. Determining the breed of a dog can be tricky. This is a guide about, "How can I tell if my dog is a Pit Bull?".

Is my dog a full Pit Bull or a Pit Bull mix?

Janessa

Answers

Best Answer

He looks just like my chopper only in this pic chopper was only 1 month old. Chopper is a American Pitbull/Boxer Mix. Looks like that is what your dog is. Don't listen to what everyone says about them they are a great breed and very loyal to the owners.

Is this an American Pit Bull terrier?

Answers

It looks like its a mix with some pit in it.

Without my knowledge, my teen daughter bought a puppy. She has pictures of the mom and dad and they both look like pit bulls to me, but I really do not know much about the breed. She is 15 weeks now and approximately 18 lbs. and woke up with one ear standing up today!

Our vet thinks there is no reason for a DNA test because in her opinion she's a full blooded Pit.

I love her to death and she is the sweetest thing, but she is a handful. I guess my concern is with training her properly and what not. I think her breed type would come in handy since she is already bit challenging.

Answers

When a dog is small it goes through a lot of changes. Your dog can change in so many ways as he grows up. If you are interested in finding out the breed of your dog here is what you can do:

Step 1
Make an appointment with your local vet. While at the vet's make sure you have your puppy vaccinated. This is the most important step to a happy life for your puppy.

Parvo is a deadly sickness and it affects so many puppies.

Step 2
Ask your vet to perform a DNA test on your puppy. He can give you an answer as to the breed or mixed breeds of your dog.

Step 3
If the test is too expensive you can find a home DNA test on Amazon. Order the test and perform the test at home. This is how you can find out the breed of your dog.

Thank you for your response. She has been to the vet and will have her 4 month ch this week. I wasn't able to take her last time my daghter did. The vet said she could do the DNA but didn't feel it was necessary after her evaluation. Guess I was questioning it.

Many people are curious if their dogs are pure breed or not. The test is expensive and I think it isn't necessary. I guess if you are a breeder then it would be necessary to find out if the dog was pure breed or mixed.

If she is your home pet, love her and give her plenty of places to run. Larger dogs love to run.

Looks like a bit of a mix (my best friend here is an expert) but I would try an at-home DNA test kit :)

Thank you! Upon some Google searching there is a controversy with pits her color. Some say mix some say not so. I just wanted to pin it down some for training and what not. Too, they do change a lot as puppies. I have a picture at 8 wks and she looks diff just since then.

As puppies grow they change quickly both in appearance and attitude/behavior. A vet can usually tell more about a breed than the average person but they cannot tell for sure about a pure bred versus a mix. Perhaps the vet was talking to your teen age daughter about not needing a DNA test as they are expensive and they may have figured the puppy was close enough to a pure bred that in her case it would not matter. A DNA test from a vet is usually more expensive than a home test kit.

Step 1
It seems you have fallen in love with this puppy so you must have a reason for wanting to know more about the puppy. Do you feel that your daughter paid for a pure bred and may have been misled/cheated?

Step 2
There is more discussion about this color pit than about other types so that may be part of the problem.

Step 3
I do not know if your daughter purchased her puppy from a breeder, a pet store or a private owner but I feel sure you know that anyone of those could have "manufactured" the photos of the puppies parents so that is not a good "fact" to rely on.

Step 4
If you feel that you need more than private pet owner's or even your vet's opinion then you would have to get a DNA test.

DNA test kits are getting more popular so the prices have been lowered but tests still cost between $55 - $250.00. Test kits can be purchased from most pet stores, on-line (Amazon, eBay, etc) or from your vet.
Here is a link that explains about the test and also a link to a sample DNA test kit.

https://www.can  esting-for-dogs/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

She is 4 yrs old, allegedly a Pit Bull (mother rednose, father bluenose). She is with 35kg quite heavy for a female. She is also taller than the information about the breed says. What do you think, what is she?

I have brought this new pet. I have been told it's a Pit Bull. I have never kept one. Can anyone tell me if it's a Pit Bull or not?

I've just gotten an American Bulldog puppy, many people who meet her instantly start questioning me on if she's a Pit Bull, or even telling me she's a Pit Bull! I'm pretty sure she is not, but all the comments are making me doubt myself. Pit Bulls are banned where I live so I think that's why I just need some reassurance (my vets are useless they originally wrote down that she was a Staffy).

I want if my dog is a Pit Bull. She has the color and displays traits of a Pit Bull, but her mouth looks a bit too long, also her head isn't big.

Answers

Only a DNA test will tell. It looks to me like it has a mix of several breeds in her.

I do not think so but young dogs change very quickly as they grow so it is even difficult for an expert to tell breeds by a photo.
Doggie DNA test are really popular now but the cost is still $50 - 200 dollars for a test kit. These can be purchased from many pet stores, on line (Amazon, eBay, and others), and from your vet.
If your puppy is due to see a vet then they may be able to tell you a little but a DNA test is the only way to know for sure.

Here is a link that explains about the DNA test and a link that show a sample of on-line kit available.

http://www.akc.  -complete-guide/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I see some hound in the face, but a DNA test is the only way to know for certain.

This is a very common question on the site. Many people wonder what the exact breed of their dog is. Truthfully, it is hard to tell without a DNA test. You can either purchase a test online or ask your vet to do one for you.

Looks like a pit mix. Get an at home DnA test if you must know. Good luck!!

Anonymous

Thanks I was thinking the same!

Definitely not a pit in a breeder and thats a mix

She is 6 months old, and the previous owners told us she was a blue nose Pit Bull. We question it, can anyone throw us some knowledge?

I have one question. Can you help me figure out what kind of dog is this? Is it a Pit Bull or not? If so, what kind is it?

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I got her free and the owner told me it's an American Pit Bull Terrier. Can anyone help? Her ears are too big. She is the black dog.

Does my dog have much Pit Bull in him or more Lab? Does he have any Pit in him at all? I was looking more for a Lab mix.

He's 4 months old. He looks skinny because we just found him alone walking in a street.

I rescued my dog a few weeks ago from the county shelter. On her paperwork they have her listed as Boxer/Boston Terrier mix. I'm praying that she is because my HOA doesn't allow Pit Bulls and I'm afraid I may have to surrender her. I don't want to cuz she's as sweet as she can be and very animated. Does she look like a Pit or Boxer/Boston Terrier?

He is 3 months old. I have no idea of what breed he is. He was a rescue. Some people say he looks part Pit and part Shepherd.

Can anyone tell if my dog is an American Pit Bull terrier?

We found her couple of days ago. She is 3 months old based on what we have been told. She's really athletic, she jumps on me and my girlfriend a lot and she just likes to play 24/7. I felt kinda bad the other night because she saw a little dog and she just charged at him, but then again the other dog was barking at us. She just went for the dog, but I don't understand because we have been seeing her around and she was playing with same dog. Then a couple of days later she tries to attack the other dog. When we saw her around she was friendly with everybody that she saw. Also, she has a clean shiny coat and looks healthy.

And if it's a Pit do you know what type of dog food we should give her?

We also been told she's an American Pit Bull terrier or could have Lab in her. I don't know, but she is athletic and loves to play fight.

Answers

The only way to determine a dog breed is to have a DNA test done.

This is one of the most asked questions on the site:

1. A DNA test is actually the only way to determine if your dog is a full breed or mixed breed.
  2. Vet\s can do the test for you in their office and it is quite expensive.
  3. However, there is some good news. You can now purchase a home DNA kit online or at some local pet shops in your area.
  4. Purchase the test and do it yourself at home.
  5. You will have the answers you are looking for in a matter of minutes.
Load More