How Can I Tell If My Dog Is a Pit Bull?

Several dog breeds resemble each other. Determining the breed of a dog can be tricky. This is a guide about, "How can I tell if my dog is a Pit Bull?".

Is my dog a full Pit Bull or a Pit Bull mix?

Janessa

Answers

Best Answer

He looks just like my chopper only in this pic chopper was only 1 month old. Chopper is a American Pitbull/Boxer Mix. Looks like that is what your dog is. Don't listen to what everyone says about them they are a great breed and very loyal to the owners.

Without my knowledge, my teen daughter bought a puppy. She has pictures of the mom and dad and they both look like pit bulls to me, but I really do not know much about the breed. She is 15 weeks now and approximately 18 lbs. and woke up with one ear standing up today!

Our vet thinks there is no reason for a DNA test because in her opinion she's a full blooded Pit. I love her to death and she is the sweetest thing, but she is a handful. I guess my concern is with training her properly and what not. I think her breed type would come in handy since she is already bit challenging.

Answers

When a dog is small it goes through a lot of changes. Your dog can change in so many ways as he grows up. If you are interested in finding out the breed of your dog here is what you can do:

Step 1
Make an appointment with your local vet. While at the vet's make sure you have your puppy vaccinated. This is the most important step to a happy life for your puppy. Parvo is a deadly sickness and it affects so many puppies.

Step 2
Ask your vet to perform a DNA test on your puppy. He can give you an answer as to the breed or mixed breeds of your dog.

Step 3
If the test is too expensive you can find a home DNA test on Amazon. Order the test and perform the test at home. This is how you can find out the breed of your dog.

Thank you for your response. She has been to the vet and will have her 4 month ch this week. I wasn't able to take her last time my daghter did. The vet said she could do the DNA but didn't feel it was necessary after her evaluation. Guess I was questioning it.

Many people are curious if their dogs are pure breed or not. The test is expensive and I think it isn't necessary. I guess if you are a breeder then it would be necessary to find out if the dog was pure breed or mixed. If she is your home pet, love her and give her plenty of places to run. Larger dogs love to run.

Looks like a bit of a mix (my best friend here is an expert) but I would try an at-home DNA test kit :)

Thank you! Upon some Google searching there is a controversy with pits her color. Some say mix some say not so. I just wanted to pin it down some for training and what not. Too, they do change a lot as puppies. I have a picture at 8 wks and she looks diff just since then.

As puppies grow they change quickly both in appearance and attitude/behavior. A vet can usually tell more about a breed than the average person but they cannot tell for sure about a pure bred versus a mix. Perhaps the vet was talking to your teen age daughter about not needing a DNA test as they are expensive and they may have figured the puppy was close enough to a pure bred that in her case it would not matter. A DNA test from a vet is usually more expensive than a home test kit.

Step 1
It seems you have fallen in love with this puppy so you must have a reason for wanting to know more about the puppy. Do you feel that your daughter paid for a pure bred and may have been misled/cheated?

Step 2
There is more discussion about this color pit than about other types so that may be part of the problem.

Step 3
I do not know if your daughter purchased her puppy from a breeder, a pet store or a private owner but I feel sure you know that anyone of those could have "manufactured" the photos of the puppies parents so that is not a good "fact" to rely on.

Step 4
If you feel that you need more than private pet owner's or even your vet's opinion then you would have to get a DNA test.

DNA test kits are getting more popular so the prices have been lowered but tests still cost between $55 - $250.00. Test kits can be purchased from most pet stores, on-line (Amazon, eBay, etc) or from your vet.
Here is a link that explains about the test and also a link to a sample DNA test kit.

https://www.can  esting-for-dogs/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I want if my dog is a Pit Bull. She has the color and displays traits of a Pit Bull, but her mouth looks a bit too long, also her head isn't big.

Answers

Only a DNA test will tell. It looks to me like it has a mix of several breeds in her.

I do not think so but young dogs change very quickly as they grow so it is even difficult for an expert to tell breeds by a photo.
Doggie DNA test are really popular now but the cost is still $50 - 200 dollars for a test kit. These can be purchased from many pet stores, on line (Amazon, eBay, and others), and from your vet.
If your puppy is due to see a vet then they may be able to tell you a little but a DNA test is the only way to know for sure.

Here is a link that explains about the DNA test and a link that show a sample of on-line kit available.

http://www.akc.  -complete-guide/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I see some hound in the face, but a DNA test is the only way to know for certain.

This is a very common question on the site. Many people wonder what the exact breed of their dog is. Truthfully, it is hard to tell without a DNA test. You can either purchase a test online or ask your vet to do one for you.

Looks like a pit mix. Get an at home DnA test if you must know. Good luck!!

Anonymous

Thanks I was thinking the same!

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Janessa

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If you want to find out if your dog is a Pit Bull check out some of the canine DNA sites. Your vet can do the blood draw and send it to the laboratory of your choice. (03/30/2008)

By mmclift

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Looks like a pit mix to me. (03/31/2008)

By sandy63

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Could have boxer in it too! (05/27/2008)

By Courtney

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Take your dog to the vet and ask his/her opinion. (07/13/2008)

By VirtualCherub

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I have a puppy that's 1/3 Bull Mastiff and 2/3 Pit Bull and your little guy looks almost like mine did when he was that small.

Can't really say for sure, but with the markings I'd guess he's possibly a cross with something. So adorable! (11/21/2008)

By Mal

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

PetCo sells a DNA kit. You swab the dogs mouth and mail it to a lab. Results seem to come around 4-6 weeks and I've seen as many as 6 breed DNA's from a single dog.

Also, the locking of the jaw is a myth. PBT's have incredible bite strength and the will to hold on to whatever they have in their mouth. There is no biological mechanism that "locks" the jaw. It's just pure power and determination to not let go. (12/31/2008)

By Pitty Pro

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My puppy is 5 mo. old. She is a German Shepherd x Pit Bull Terrier. She looked almost exactly like the ones on here! We have a Staffy and my parents own a GSD. My baby mentally, so far, is like a GSD, with a calm temperament and likes to test my dominance! Very, very smart and loves to jump fences and wander. I wouldn't change her for the world! (09/08/2009)

By Victoria54664

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Here is Baby as a puppy at 5 weeks. (09/08/2009)

By Victoria54664

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

This is my dog Rocky at 6 weeks, 1/2 Boxer and 1/2 Australian Shepherd. Great dog! Very smart. He looks a lot like many of the pups on this page. Great mix. (09/10/2010)

By Rocky7

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Rocky, again at 7 months, 1/2 Boxer, 1/2 Australian Shepherd.
(09/10/2010)

By Rocky7

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?
I recently got a dog that I thought was a lab mix. Now she (Mocha) looks more like a pit every day. How can I tell if she is a pit?

Darnell from Lithonia, Ga

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If her fur is VERY short, unlike labs and if her jaws are more pronounced as she gets older. Labs are large breed dogs and Pits are medium sized so that should help you as she matures. To me she looks like a Pit mix. You can never really tell until she reaches about 6 to 7 months old. (01/11/2008)

By Flattopgrl

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well, this probably isn't frugal, but I read that you can now have DNA testing done on your dog to determine what it's ancestry is. There was an article and photographs of different dogs. In the captions it explained what was discovered, Australian shepherd, border collie, chow mix, for example. I can't remember where I saw the article, but it appeared recently in a magazine. (01/11/2008)

By SusannL

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Some breeds can lock their jaws. Our Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Kuma) holds on to rope (locks his jaw on) so well that you can lift him 1m off the ground.

Here is a picture of him at around 6 months old.

Your vet will most likely be able to tell you too. (01/12/2008)

By moncarroll

RE: How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I would sign up for obedience classes; a reputable trainer should be able to assist you both with breed recognition and assisting with any breed specific challenges or issues you might have. http://www.dogpro.org/ is a good place to locate a good trainer in your area. There are also many bull breed Yahoo groups that would be happy to look at photos and help you out. Good luck! Your dog is a cutie; please do not give up on her just because you think she might be a pit bull mix. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Depending on the way her head and body shapes as she gets older will help you determine whether or not she has pit in her. My pit/lab looked just like a pit until he was about 8 months then you could see the lab in him because of his longer legs. (01/12/2008)

By Boomer_Squirt

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My daughter has a "lab mix" 5 year old that started out looking like a lab puppy until the ears gave her away, lab ears lie flat against the head. Abby's ears go every which way depending on what's going on. She's the best, most loving friendly dog ever. It's all in the training. (01/13/2008)

By Chris B

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

To me you puppy looks like it has Pit bull in it. I am a Vet but, you can't always tell from pictures. Not all pit bulls ears stick up, you get there ears cut if you want the ears up, they're originally flapped down. But, look at the paws, and if it is about over 2 and 1/2 inches. It is most likely a pit.

(01/14/2008)

By BREANNA

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

What a cutie!
And she does look *exactly* like our Lab-Pit ... Our dog was completely black with big paws and was a great family pet for over 15 yrs!

She was very strong.. but never a problem to our family or to anyone else or to any other animal in fact she was a VERY friendly animal!

We miss her! :( (01/15/2008)

By Simply Joyful

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

A mature lab has a blocky head, and a Pit has a more triangular head. You need the opinion of a person who can see your dog in real life, not from a little picture. Sorry, but ask your vet whom to ask. Good looking dog! (01/16/2008)

By kimhis

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well she looks a lot like my pit mix did, he`s almost 2 years old now very strong big and about the sweetest dog you can ever meet.
If she is, don`t just give up on her with the right training from the start a pit is harmless mine plays with neighbor hood kids as well as my own kids and grandkids (01/23/2008)

By gaby

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

The ears are very like pit bulls ears. (02/28/2008)

By eggy.