How Can I Tell If My Dog Is a Pit Bull?

Several dog breeds resemble each other. Determining the breed of a dog can be tricky. This is a guide about, "How can I tell if my dog is a Pit Bull?".

Is my dog a full Pit Bull or a Pit Bull mix?

Janessa

Answers

Best Answer

He looks just like my chopper only in this pic chopper was only 1 month old. Chopper is a American Pitbull/Boxer Mix. Looks like that is what your dog is. Don't listen to what everyone says about them they are a great breed and very loyal to the owners.

Is this an American Pit Bull terrier?

Answers

It looks like its a mix with some pit in it.

Without my knowledge, my teen daughter bought a puppy. She has pictures of the mom and dad and they both look like pit bulls to me, but I really do not know much about the breed. She is 15 weeks now and approximately 18 lbs. and woke up with one ear standing up today!

Our vet thinks there is no reason for a DNA test because in her opinion she's a full blooded Pit.

I love her to death and she is the sweetest thing, but she is a handful. I guess my concern is with training her properly and what not. I think her breed type would come in handy since she is already bit challenging.

Answers

When a dog is small it goes through a lot of changes. Your dog can change in so many ways as he grows up. If you are interested in finding out the breed of your dog here is what you can do:

Step 1
Make an appointment with your local vet. While at the vet's make sure you have your puppy vaccinated. This is the most important step to a happy life for your puppy. Parvo is a deadly sickness and it affects so many puppies.

Step 2
Ask your vet to perform a DNA test on your puppy. He can give you an answer as to the breed or mixed breeds of your dog.

Step 3
If the test is too expensive you can find a home DNA test on Amazon. Order the test and perform the test at home. This is how you can find out the breed of your dog.

Thank you for your response. She has been to the vet and will have her 4 month ch this week. I wasn't able to take her last time my daghter did.

The vet said she could do the DNA but didn't feel it was necessary after her evaluation. Guess I was questioning it.

Many people are curious if their dogs are pure breed or not. The test is expensive and I think it isn't necessary. I guess if you are a breeder then it would be necessary to find out if the dog was pure breed or mixed. If she is your home pet, love her and give her plenty of places to run. Larger dogs love to run.

Looks like a bit of a mix (my best friend here is an expert) but I would try an at-home DNA test kit :)

Thank you! Upon some Google searching there is a controversy with pits her color. Some say mix some say not so.

I just wanted to pin it down some for training and what not. Too, they do change a lot as puppies. I have a picture at 8 wks and she looks diff just since then.

As puppies grow they change quickly both in appearance and attitude/behavior. A vet can usually tell more about a breed than the average person but they cannot tell for sure about a pure bred versus a mix. Perhaps the vet was talking to your teen age daughter about not needing a DNA test as they are expensive and they may have figured the puppy was close enough to a pure bred that in her case it would not matter. A DNA test from a vet is usually more expensive than a home test kit.

Step 1
It seems you have fallen in love with this puppy so you must have a reason for wanting to know more about the puppy. Do you feel that your daughter paid for a pure bred and may have been misled/cheated?

Step 2
There is more discussion about this color pit than about other types so that may be part of the problem.

Step 3
I do not know if your daughter purchased her puppy from a breeder, a pet store or a private owner but I feel sure you know that anyone of those could have "manufactured" the photos of the puppies parents so that is not a good "fact" to rely on.

Step 4
If you feel that you need more than private pet owner's or even your vet's opinion then you would have to get a DNA test.

DNA test kits are getting more popular so the prices have been lowered but tests still cost between $55 - $250.00. Test kits can be purchased from most pet stores, on-line (Amazon, eBay, etc) or from your vet.
Here is a link that explains about the test and also a link to a sample DNA test kit.

https://www.can  esting-for-dogs/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I keep trying to add my answer, but it disappeared. Anyway I have had 3 and I don't think your baby is mixed. Seeing her Jaws from the side view she looks like my girls, they were different colors and I now have a blue nose ;they tend to be "leggier", but I can't tell how much taller yours will be, but love the color. Be careful for sunburn especially in her pretty ears, use sunscreen! You'll definitely be able to tell if you get her around another female or... They aren't as dog friendly as they are people friendly. They are fun, energetic pets, work on obedience EARLY. When they say "bull headed" they are Talking about them. They love most kids but don't like teasing don't fetch well, they'd rather have you chase them super easy to house break because they are people pleasers so don't get too angry at them if they make a mistake, they'll actually mope and sigh. Your family is just going to have lots of fun and love and be diligent about parvo. Enjoy her shes too beautiful... Be careful about thieves. MY trainer Uncle Matty warned me to look out for them

She is 4 yrs old, allegedly a Pit Bull (mother rednose, father bluenose). She is with 35kg quite heavy for a female. She is also taller than the information about the breed says. What do you think, what is she?

I've just gotten an American Bulldog puppy, many people who meet her instantly start questioning me on if she's a Pit Bull, or even telling me she's a Pit Bull! I'm pretty sure she is not, but all the comments are making me doubt myself. Pit Bulls are banned where I live so I think that's why I just need some reassurance (my vets are useless they originally wrote down that she was a Staffy).

I have brought this new pet. I have been told it's a Pit Bull. I have never kept one. Can anyone tell me if it's a Pit Bull or not?

I want if my dog is a Pit Bull. She has the color and displays traits of a Pit Bull, but her mouth looks a bit too long, also her head isn't big.

Answers

Only a DNA test will tell. It looks to me like it has a mix of several breeds in her.

I do not think so but young dogs change very quickly as they grow so it is even difficult for an expert to tell breeds by a photo.
Doggie DNA test are really popular now but the cost is still $50 - 200 dollars for a test kit. These can be purchased from many pet stores, on line (Amazon, eBay, and others), and from your vet.
If your puppy is due to see a vet then they may be able to tell you a little but a DNA test is the only way to know for sure.

Here is a link that explains about the DNA test and a link that show a sample of on-line kit available.

http://www.akc.  -complete-guide/

http://www.wisd  isdom-panel-4-0/

I see some hound in the face, but a DNA test is the only way to know for certain.

This is a very common question on the site. Many people wonder what the exact breed of their dog is. Truthfully, it is hard to tell without a DNA test. You can either purchase a test online or ask your vet to do one for you.

Looks like a pit mix. Get an at home DnA test if you must know. Good luck!!

Anonymous

Thanks I was thinking the same!

Definitely not a pit in a breeder and thats a mix

We've been blessed with a new little pup that we adopted from the local shelter. They picked him up running loose with another dog so there is limited information about the pup's background. They called him a Pit Bull mix, possibly Terrier Pit mix.

I've studied many photos of some of the older and smaller Pit Bulls from well known bloodlines in the 60s going clear back the the Colby dogs imported from Ireland in the late 1800s. Many of them had very similar physical appearances as well as those cute upright ears that curved forward.

Is it possible that Styx could be a pure blood Pit? Possibly one that has the old small blood line that was common 100 years ago or more likely just a runt? Styx is estimated to be right at a year old and is right at 30 lbs. He shows some incredible wrestling ability when he spars with our Rat Terrier mix and doesn't show any fear when approached by larger aggressive dogs.

We also successfully house broke him in less than two weeks and he absolutely loves our kids and anyone else who will give him attention. I told my wife if we could clone him we'd sell a million of him.

If anyone wants to weigh in on whether he's full Pit or a mix and what the mix may be we'd love to hear.

Thank you

She is 6 months old, and the previous owners told us she was a blue nose Pit Bull. We question it, can anyone throw us some knowledge?

I have one question. Can you help me figure out what kind of dog is this? Is it a Pit Bull or not? If so, what kind is it?

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I got her free and the owner told me it's an American Pit Bull Terrier. Can anyone help? Her ears are too big. She is the black dog.

Is my dog a pitbull?

Please tell me.

I just got this puppy a few days ago. I am pretty sure she's 8 weeks old from what the people said. They also stated that she's a Boxer/Pit mix, but the mom was a Boxer and red nose mix and dad was a blue nose. I wanna be sure she's actually Pit though. She's got the red nose. I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation. She's got the pit color I think.

Does my dog have much Pit Bull in him or more Lab? Does he have any Pit in him at all? I was looking more for a Lab mix.

He's 4 months old. He looks skinny because we just found him alone walking in a street.

Load More