Flavoring Old Dog Bones

Dogs will often lose interest in their rawhide bones after a time. You can try adding peanut butter in the crevices, boiling them in bouillon, or even tossing them into some of the stored food for a couple of days. This is a guide about flavoring old dog bones.

Keeping those rawhide chew bones interesting: A clerk at the pet store told me that instead of throwing them out, she rubs a small amount of peanut butter on cleaned doggie rawhide chew bones. She then puts them in a plastic bag in the freezer overnight. In the morning, the dog acts as though it's a brand new chew.

I haven't tried this yet, but it's one more idea to keep those expensive chew bones looking good to a dog that has lost interest. Just watch out for the carpet - this may be more of an outdoors treat.

Source: A store clerk.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Top Comment

Kato wouldn't chew bones or rawhides but I needed to keep his teeth from tartar build-up. (He had to be anesthetized for the vet to clean his teeth, brushing them wasn't doing the trick) I tried putting peanut butter in the rawhide grooves. Voila! Now if I fail to put peanut butter on his rawhide, he brings it into the kitchen and drops it in front of the cupboard where the PB is stored! He nudges me and won't leave me alone until I put the PB on his rawhide bone.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

Some CAUTIONS about rawhides - VERY IMPORTANT

#1 Never leave a dog unattended. They can choke to death on rawhide. Also too much can cause blockages.
#2 If giving them a rawhide outside, make sure you're with them because you don't want them to bury it, a buried rawhide later dug up can carry the BOTULISM toxin and kill your pet!
#3 Be sure your dog has plenty of water after chewing the rawhide.

My dog has some perfectly good dog bones (the chewy type you buy at the pet store) but he prefers the new $6.00 ones straight out of the package. Am thinking there may be something I can dip them in that will have a non-staining healthy flavored coating. Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

Best Answer

The last time I made bacon, I took my dogs 2 bone 'ends' he'd been neglecting and put them in the sink and poured the grease over them and let them drain for a few hours. He liked 'em again after that. I also found out that instead of giving him the small bones that he can eat one a day, i've been buying him the HUGE ones that last him a month LOL!