Making Chicken Broth From Rotisserie Chickens

Category Soups
Once you have eaten most of a rotisserie chicken, its time to make chicken broth. you can remove most of the leftover meat. Then either roast the bones first or just add the bones to a pot of water and make a broth.

I know this is so simple it seems silly to write a recipe for it; however, I've been cooking for a family of 9 for over 25 years now, and I've thrown away many rotisserie chicken carcasses before it dawned on me that I could save $1.50 per quart by just taking a few minutes of my time. It makes the cost of our dinner of roasted chicken almost pay for itself

Can be prepared in crockpot.

• Extremely simple
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken Carcass ($5.00)
  • 8-10 cups water ($0)
  • 1-2 cup diced carrots, celery/onion ($0)
  • 1-2 tsp salt/pepper ($0)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice/or vinegar ($0)

I let the broth cool just a bit, then strain it and use a funnel to fill quart mason jars, tighten lids, then store for a week or so in my refrigerator.

1. Place all ingredients in a large stock pot, or crockpot.
  2. If cooking on stovetop, bring to boil, then turn down heat, cover, and simmer for 2-3 hours. Or, cook in crockpot on High for 4-6 hours.
  3. Strain broth by using a slotted spoon; store in refrigerator and use within 1 week.

Because I keep kosher (organic), everything is much more expensive and I simply can't afford to waste anything. When I purchase a rotisserie chicken, I strip the meat from the bones and use the bones and non-meaty part of the chicken wings to make chicken broth for my next batch of chicken soup, some of which I freeze in ice cube trays for a quick cup-of-soup. I save the skin to add as "seasoning" in my fresh veggies and afterwords, a nice "treat" for my dogs.

By Solartea from Tallahassee, FL

Have you ever bought one of those delicious seasoned roasted chickens from the supermarket? After the chicken meat was gone and picked clean; I mean really clean, what did you do with the rest of the bones, skin and stuff? I used to throw it away. What a WASTE! Ms. chicken gave her all for you (not that she had a choice) but I think we should do some justice for her sacrifice.

Put all of the chicken left-overs in a pot and add 2 quarts of water combined maybe with some canned chicken broth (your preference) and simmer for an hour or so until you get a perfectly seasoned broth. Add your own seasonings if you wish. Strain out all of the solids and freeze the resulting soup base and add to any chicken dish that calls for stock.

Bok, bok, good eating!

By cecile marie buteau from Oroville, CA

Answers:

Make Chicken Broth From Rotisserie Chickens

I always do this. I find that it is about the same price at Costco to buy a rotisserie chicken as it is to buy the uncooked whole chicken. So, whenever I want an easy roast chicken dinner, I grab a couple of these. We eat the meat (boys love the drumsticks!) and strip off the rest for soups and other recipes. I pick the meat off the bones but I don't worry about getting every bit, it will just add flavor to the broth.

I just throw anything left (bones, skin, even the drumsticks from the boy's dinner) into my stockpot. I cover the carcass with water and add an onion (including skin), garlic, celery, carrots and spices. Yum! (04/15/2010)

By Jess (TF Editor)

If you roast the bones in the oven until they are a nice brown color and then make your broth, it makes for a really yummy broth! (04/15/2010)

By Barbara Huggins

We've done this for years with home-baked or store-bought baked or rotisseried chickens. Even if you're not into making soup, the broth is wonderful for cooking rice or vegetables or making gravy.

Our GrandDoggie Sadie Belle wants me to tell you that it's also just the greatest for pouring over your doggie's food especially if you're feeding just dry dog food. If I were making it just for a pet, I'd leave out the onion as doggies are not supposed to have onion in any way. Don't know about kitties and onions, other than to say that I know for sure our Sir Catty-Kit wouldn't be caught dead eating an
onion. LOL

Great tip.Sue. Thank you.
(04/24/2010)

By Julia

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes SoupsJune 28, 2020
🎆
🌻
😷
😎
🐛