Lentil and Ham Soup
Ham and lentils go very well together in this classic soup. This page contains lentil and ham soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I love lentil soup and decided to make a pot using up some of my leftover Christmas ham.
Total Time: Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups dried lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 cups water
- Dice ham. This soup can be made with other types of meat, such as bacon or sausage. Or you can go vegetarian and add spinach or other greens.
- Peel and chop onion.
- Clean, peel, and slice carrots.
- Saute onion and carrots in olive oil until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to soften.
- Add ham and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Sort and rinse lentils.
- Add lentils to pot.
- Add oregano and garlic powder. You may also add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 45 minutes. Add more water if needed, continue simmering until done.
- Optional: When the lentils are cooked I mash up a cup or so of the soup and add it back to the pot. This helps thicken it.