When Do Dogs Stop Going Into Heat?

Many pet owners may wonder when their intact female dog will enter a doggy form of menopause and stop going into heat. This is a page about "when do dogs stop going into heat?".

How old is a female dog when she stops going into heat and menstruating? I have a 7 year old that can not be de-sexed due health issues and the operation is too high a risk.

By petlover

Answers

Anonymous

This is a great question! Dogs never stop going into heat although as they get older it may become less frequent. Even if she didn't go into heat for a year or more she will eventually go back into heat.

I feel badly she can't be spayed. Here's an explanation of what could happen if she has never been pregnant (posted by a DVM) so keep an eye on her the older she gets:

"After years of heat cycles without getting pregnant, the lining of a dogs uterus gets thicker and less pliable. Cells in that area may become inflamed, and potentially lead to a deadly bacterial infection called pyometra."

Your Veterinarian will answer this question. Why could she not have been de-sexed before she came into her first cycle?

#FARSTAR - To answer your question - I saved the dog at 3 years old. All i know is that she had been de-barked & has such severe scarring in the throat that no tubes or anesthetic can be used - as she may die. I have given her a safe & happy life - free from males & of course spoil her to bits - she is content & full of joy. I am hoping that her health stay's good for the rest of her life.

Thanks for your interest.

Sorry but you never stated your dog had been de-barked and left with "scarring" throat tissues. The Veterinarian in question needs to refresh their University degree. You get points for giving her a safe happy home. Hope you don't have the same Vet.

Anonymous

I have a 9yr old female when will she stop becoming in heat

Until she is spayed or is no longer around. She can be 20 and will still go through her cycle.

My girl is 14, and has not had a menstrual cycle for about 2 years. It got shorter and shorter then stopped completely!

She is in good health. Is it a normal process for canines to lose their menstrual cycle after a certain age?

Answers

Hormones may be done,check with your Vet!

My understanding is dogs do not go through menopause like humans and if she has been in heat and it stops that that is not normal and should be checked out by a vet.

That your gal has not had one for two years is odd...if the vet hasn't weighed in, I would ask.

Please post back with an update! Sweet pup face!! Prayers for health!

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 25, 2013
🌻
📓
🎂