Menstrual Cycle in Dogs

My girl is 14, and has not had a menstrual cycle for about 2 years. It got shorter and shorter then stopped completely! She is in good health. Is it a normal process for canines to lose their menstrual cycle after a certain age?

Hormones may be done,check with your Vet!

My understanding is dogs do not go through menopause like humans and if she has been in heat and it stops that that is not normal and should be checked out by a vet.

That your gal has not had one for two years is odd...if the vet hasn't weighed in, I would ask.

Please post back with an update! Sweet pup face!! Prayers for health!

Dogs eventually stop going into heat. They are capable of breeding long into maturity

She seems to be in what vets call the 'silent heat' as the seasons do not actually stop but may not be noticeable. She could still get pregnant.

Comments from vets:

"Either when she's spayed or when she dies. Unspayed, a female never goes through doggy menopause and keeps going into heat until she's dead."

"Never. Dogs do not go through a dog form of menopause. As they get older their heats will still come, not clockwork like before but they will continue to have heats until they die or are spayed."

www.petcoach.co/.../?id=185632

vethelpdirect.com/.../

It is very important that you take your girl for check ups on a regular basis so your vet can spot health issues before they become serious.

Unless a dog is fixed they should go into heat 2 to 3 times a year. I would call your vet and make an appointment to have your dog checked out. If you never fix the dog the dog will always go into heat until they die. I had both of my females fixed because I did not want to deal with the heat cycle that lasts up to 30 days.

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 10, 2019
🌻
📓
🎂