Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer

It is truly frustrating to have the spin cycle on your washer quit working, leaving you with a sopping load of laundry. This is a guide about spin cycle not working on washer.

Determining why your washer will not begin the spin cycle after draining will require some research on your part or a call to a repair service. This is a guide about a washer that drains but won't spin.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Determing the reason for a washer to stop working properly during the spin cycle may be beyond the skills of the typical consumer, at least without some research. This is a guide about washer only spins when empty.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My washer will not go into the spin cycle after draining. It will just agitate and the timer doesn't desend.

Answers

You probably have to replace the timer. That happened to our washer once.

Have you tried it in every wash mode possible? You could start troubleshooting from there. Maybe there is something wrong with the door sensor.

Frigidaire Affinity - you can reference YouTube. Seems like a lot are experiencing spin or final spin.

Hope this may work for you: https://www.you … ch?v=AekMgGpjMe8

I have a Whirlpool washer model #wtw5500xw2 that won't spin all the water out of the clothes. Can someone tell me what could be the problem? It's driving me crazy.

By Mrs N

Answers

Best Answer

You can contact Whirlpool customer service via email or phone-see the information below:

WHIRLPOOL
Save time by checking your appliance information before contacting us. Manuals & Literature

PHONE:
US: 1-866-698-2538
Canada: 1-800-688-2002

Hour of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST

Please locate the appliance's model and serial number before calling.
Need help finding your model and serial number?

EMAIL:
http://www.whir … .com/contact-us/

I have a Kenmore, model 10502 990 top loader, type 110. The year it was installed was 2001. It works well, but the washer's spin cycle does not get out sufficient water from the clothing.

What is your best guess with what is wrong and should I just call repair rather than try to fix it on my own?

Answers

The average working life for a top loading washer is about 14 years so your washer is well beyond the average. The possibility of fixing the washer yourself versus a repair service may be moot at this point. We had a similar aged washer needing repairs recently so called in a service; the repair tech said it would cost more to fix than to buy a new machine. So we bought a new machine that performs well and the new machine's technical advantages are a "new world" after our old and basic 15 year old model!

Thank you for your reply. I still would like to know or have someone guess at what may need to be fixed...

I think it depends on the cost of repair services in your community. I have a similarly aged machine, and a few years ago the spin cycle quit working. At that time, our local repair person popped over, fixed the machine in less than 30 minutes, as it is a very common problem, and I have been washing merrily ever since. The bill was less than $100, including the new part. As well, a few weeks later, it happened again, and the fellow repaired it again, free of charge, as he said it should have lasted longer! If you have such a repair person, call them in.

My fellow was able to diagnose the problem over the phone. I always think it is a good idea to call in someone who knows what they are doing rather than fool around for hours and days trying to do such repairs by oneself. Be sure that the advice you get from a repair person is valid. I've had advice from a car dealership regarding the price to repair my car vs. the cost of a newer model. The dealership was really interested in selling me the newer car. A repair shop that only did repairs fixed my car, with quite major repairs, but much less than the cost of another one. And the car ran for several more years.

What would make a was being machine stop working on the spin cycle it will spin if you do it manually

What is that little plug under the lid of the washer? It has come loose, could that have something to do with the clothes not spinning out

I have a Kenmore 90 series washer (110-C28922790). Washing, rinsing, and draining are no problem. But when it comes to the spinning cycle, it doesn't spin. I need to start it spinning manually until it starts spinning and then depress the timer off and turn it to the spin cycle to turn it on and at the same time (doing this step a few times) manually spin it.

Eventually it will start spinning to its full speed. I checked the coupling and it had no problem. The agitator is a little worn, but I will replace it. Can you tell me what's the problem? Thank you.

Answers

If you haven't gotten an answer from other postings or still need help the best place is to ask is Sears Service Center. You can find your local shop on Google Sears Service Center and your zip code. They are always helpful and have any parts available if needed.

Here is a link if you want to call them or a form to complete for email message. They are usually very prompt with answers.

https://www.ken … om/customer-care

I'm pretty sure it's the timing. It's either a belt or a switch. You can get the parts from Kenmore if you can fix it yourself. Otherwise, you will have to call a repairman.

I have a top loading GE washer that I purchased in January 2015. The washer will not spin and leaks water from the bottom. It of course is not under warranty. Any ideas on what can be causing this and if it is worth fixing?

My washer is washing, but will not spin. I got new motor couplers, but it is still not working.

By Lisa

Answers

You can contact the manufacturer-most companies have assistance for owners. You do not state the manufacturer's name, however, you can search online for the website. The big question in major appliances is whether to repair or buy new. This article, from the very helpful "how stuff works" site, can help you decide:

http://home.how  hing-machine.htm

This sounds like there may be a belt broken. You can purchase a new belt from either the manufacturer or even sometimes local repair and parts places have them in stock. They are fairly easy to replace yourself.

My machine had one small part that wore out that controlled the spinning. For all those people who say it is a worn out belt, my Kenmore machine did not have any belts. I called a local repair man who replaced the part, had special little tools he had made for just this job, and was in and out in less than half an hour. When the part broke down a few months later, he fixed it again, for no cost as he said it should have lasted for years. It has been a few years, and the machine is still working just fine. My machine is 14 years old, and the repair was done about 4 years ago. I consider the money I paid to the repair person to be very well spent.

My washing machine will wash but the spin cycle will not spin or drain the tub what do I do to repair that?

By Shelly H. from Manteca, CA

Answers

Try Youtube. I've said a ton of money watching DIY videos.

You call a repair man.

Sounds like the lid switch has gone bad. Google your model number and look for lid switch. Most can be found for about 15 dollars.

My washing machine whirlpool model wtw4950xw3 stopped after the rinse. It's not spinning.

I have Kenmore front loading washer, model no. 417.43042200. My washer takes forever to run through its spin cycle. Sometimes the first load runs the normal amount of time. Usually the second load is were it hangs up, it typically gets to the final spin cycle and keeps going and going. If I advance the dial a tick it will finish out. I have a couple questions: Is this a timer problem or the board that controls the timer? Is this something I could get parts for and replace myself without requiring a full compliment of specialized equipment? I bought this washer in 2002 for about $400, am I kidding myself with even thinking about repairing this unit?

By RCB

Answers

We had a problem with an old washer in our rented house. We decided to have Sears check the washer for a fee of $75; our experience with Sears is good and, at the time, their special deal was that we would receive $75 off a new washer. A Sears service man checked the washer and stated the repair cost would be more than the cost of a new washer. After he explained what was needed, we agreed to buy a new washer. We received $75 off the new Sears Kenmore washer.

You do not say your washer's age, but you have had it for 12 years now. You can request a service find the problem for a fee. At least you will know your choices.

All new front load washers will spin until the suds sensor is satisfied all the suds are out. That is the reason for the new high efficiency laundry soaps because normal soaps cause a suds build up and causes longer running times in spin and sometimes when really over suds the rinse cycle is affected also.

My washer will wash, but won't finsh doing the rinse cycle or the spin cycle. It leaves all the water in the washer. What do I do?

By Amber H

Answers

The washer problem could be many possibilities and would probably be difficult for someone to answer from this site. Suggest an evaluation by a repair service.

My washer will wash, but won't finsh doing the rinse cycle and the spin cycle. It leaves all the water in the washer.

My washing machine completes the wash cycle, water drains, then it starts the spin cycle, it fills up with water, but when the water is in the tub instead of spinning it stops, with water left in the tub.

By henryj from Norman, OK

Answers

If you can't fix it yourself, call in someone to repair it.

You can look up on You Tube. They show step by step how to repair certain brands. Hope yours is one of them. I found out why my washer wasn't working. It turned out the pump just needed cleaning out. Washers are easy to repair everything is replaceable in it but you must be mechanical inclined,

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By arturo from San Diego, CA

Answers

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

The washer won't spin if you have a plugged i[ drain. Did you wash something and it fell apart in the washer? That would do it. Another thing is to find you reset button it's usually on the top of the washer - it might look like an open small hole. Take a screw driver and put it inside to click the button. If all else fails it's probably the belt on the motor. If you don't have anyone to take apart your machine call a repair guy - cost appx. $109.00.

I have 2011 Maytag washer model MVWX700XL1, serial number C14430412. It will not spin during the last cycle, however if I change the setting to drain and spin it will spin like crazy like it is going to take off. The machine is not unbalanced! Thanks.

Answers

This happened to me. The timer was off and had to be replaced.

My washing machine drums, started to make loud beating noise and after awhile stopped working.

By Gianni

Answers

If you do not know how why your washer stopped working, it would be difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. There are many factors to consider and you have not provided any additional information. If your washer is more than 4-5 years old, the most probable solution is to replace the broken washer. Your best plan would be to have a washer repair service check the washer and suggest a solution.

My washing machine will wash, but it won't spin. I have to put it on a spin only and it works fine then. What could this be?

By Louise from Rhondda

Answers

I wonder if it is not the dial. If you can afford a repairperson, get one in to check this out. If you can not, just run the washing machine the way it is; it will not be as convenient, but it should work for you.

My machine was washing then it just stopped. I can hear it trying to empty but nothing. I switched it off then switched it back on and it started to fill up again, then stopped. Any help is appreciated. It's an old machine, but I never had any problems till now. It's an Indesit 1500 wil153. I can hear the sound of the motor trying to work, but nothing. It keeps stopping.

By Paula

Answers

I had that problem as well. I do believe it's your pump. I use to lower the hose to drain in a giant bucket during that part of the cycle but that became old after awhile. I had to keep dumping the water from the bucket. I picked up a used one at the Salvation Army for about $25 and I'm now back in business. You can also get a repairman to fix it but not sure how new your machine is and if it's worth the price. I'm sure that would be at leat $50 to repair.

I have a 20 year old Maytag washer that has a two cycle. One cycle, the spin dry will not work. On the other cycle it works fine. Any thought why the one cycle will not spin?

By Tom W.

Answers

I had the same problem, a repairman replaced the door switch motor in my washer and that resolved it.

The spin cycle does not work on my machine. It washes and rinses fine, but will not spin.

By Wanda from Greenwood, SC

Answers

How old is your machine, and is it still under warranty?

If still under warranty the cost to have a factory trained repair tech come out will be very reasonable (and may even be free) but be aware that some things are not covered under even a comprehensive warranty if the tech determines the fault is yours (overloading, using too much detergent, incorrectly installed by a DIY installer, etc).

The age matters for things like belts and drives - on one older machine of mine it was the belt, on another newer model it was the 'transmission', and on another it was an accumulation of lint.

Too, this really is a job for a trained repair tech because it involves pulling the back panel and being exposed to dangerous static electricity build up. The tech will know how to keep from being badly shocked (goes far beyond merely unplugging the machine, btw), and has the training to get your machine spinning again.

Depending on the age and make of your machine it may actually cost you less to replace it with new machine. However, if your machine has specialty features it may be more cost effective to have it repaired.

Telephone around and get some over the phone estimates of the costs involved. No matter what they try to say over the phone ("Oh your problem could be so many different things it's best if I come out and have a look..." and variations on that theme), stick to your guns and ask them for a rough estimate over the phone so you can decide if you want to spend the money on repairs or replacement. A good repair tech will respect that and will give you a rough idea of the costs based on best and worst case scenarios.

Repair tech charges are based on making the trip to your house+labour to fix the machine+the parts needed.

My Whirlpool top load washer spin cycle is not working. What should I check before I call the repairman?

By MW

Answers

If your top loading washer doesn't spin it probably needs a new belt, and if your handy you can do it yourself, you can order the belt you need through your washer brand, call their number and they can order it for you and you can put it on the same way you took it off and save yourself some money. I feel you can also do the same thing for a front loading machine too. If you are not a handyperson call a repairman to do it for you. Sometimes you can also order the part through anyplace that sells them as well.

I have a Frigidaire stackable washer and dryer. The washer keeps filling during the spin cycle leaving water in the machine. The machine still spins and empties but continues to fill.

By Kristin from Charleston, SC

Answers

Once the machine is in the spin mode and is rinsing out, turn off the water to the machine. Hope this helps you short turn. Obviously there is a problem with your washer and you need a service call. Depending on the age and cost of repair you might opt to shut off the water.

My Bosch machine is 3 years old and I have tried every cycle to see if they react differently, but I am not getting drier clothes. They just come out soaking.

By Teresa

My top load washer drains, but does not spin. It leaves the clothes very damp.

By Jack

Front loader will not do a final spin to remove or spin out last bit of water. Appliance works, but does not do the fast spin at end of any cycle.

By Kevin C. from Ventura, CA

The washer works fine on all other cycles, but will not spin on any part of cycle 3 (30 degree wash). Any ideas?

By Terry

My Kenmore washer does everything, but will not go into the spin cycle. I replaced the clutch, but this did not solve the problem. I am now finding that, if I manually move the was tub an inch or two clockwise, the washer will go into the spin cycle. The tub is difficult to move, but this trick has worked every time for the last 12 loads of laundry.

By Harry B

I have an Amana NAV 6800aww washing machine. The tub tries to spin clockwise in the spin cycle, but the brakes are on. Is the tub suppose to spin counterclockwise in the spin cycle?

By Ken H. from Livonia, MI

I have a Frigidaire Infiniti front loader and it does not spin. It leaves my clothes wet. What could I do?

By Rose

My Hotpoint washer was making a clucking sound when it starts on a spin cycle. Now it has stopped the sound, but it won't spin out at all.

By Wanda from Campnellsville, KY

I have a model GLWS1223AS1 washer. The the spin cycle is not working correctly. I went to check on it because I heard a strange noise coming from it. I noticed a rubber smell as well so I popped the top off and checked all things mentioned here. The closed the lid and did a test cycle. Halfway through it stopped. So I gave it a little help and it finished the cycle. What should I check for now?

By Jeremy

The machine won't drain or spin. The front panel reads pau/door.

By Andy

I have a Frigidaire Gallery stackable washer/dryer and the the washer will not go through the spin cycle. What's involved in that kind of repair?

By tlaborde from Baton Rouge, LA

I overloaded my Kenmore stackable washer and on the spin cycle it quit working and won't start again. What can I do?

By denise young from Rockport, TX

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

Call someone to service it! (08/21/2010)

By Marjorie

My washing machine is a GE. The final rinse and spin does not work, leaving the clothes completely soaked. Is it fixable or should I buy another machine?

By k crowe from Massapequa Park, NY

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

At the price of new washers, it is always cheaper to have it fixed. (05/15/2010)

By Marjorie

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I had a Kenmore that developed a similar problem of not working when it came to a certain point in the cycle. It was a bad timer. My husband called Sears, ordered a new timer for my particular make and model, we picked it up the following week, and he changed the timer. Worked for years! (05/15/2010)

By Lynda

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

This happened to me at one time, and it was the pump that pumps the water out. This caused the spin cycle to not kick on. I fixed this myself. The part was about 20.00. Just take the front panel off the washer. The pump was located near the bottom. Good luck! (05/17/2010)

By kimnwill88

My washing machine will not spin on the spin cycle. It just "squeals" like something is moving, but it is not the agitator. Do I need a new belt? If so, is this a DIY project?
Thanks.

By Jim from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I have fixed this same problem for several people, not too hard for the do it yourself in you. First, your machine is probably a direct drive, most are in the last 15 years. You need to take the cabinet off the frame, there are 2 snaps that hold the water pump to the (shaft). Behind that is a coupler with three prongs on it, one or all have worn out, so it will never spin out. Get on Sears Direct Parts site and order that coupler around $15.00. You will find that this is relatively an easy repair that saved you more money for Christmas. Good luck. (12/14/2009)

By Everett

Load More