Kenmore Washer Spins A Long Time

I have Kenmore front loading washer, model no. 417.43042200. My washer takes forever to run through its spin cycle. Sometimes the first load runs the normal amount of time. Usually the second load is were it hangs up, it typically gets to the final spin cycle and keeps going and going. If I advance the dial a tick it will finish out.

I have a couple questions: Is this a timer problem or the board that controls the timer? Is this something I could get parts for and replace myself without requiring a full compliment of specialized equipment? I bought this washer in 2002 for about $400, am I kidding myself with even thinking about repairing this unit?

By RCB

Best Answer

All new front load washers will spin until the suds sensor is satisfied all the suds are out. That is the reason for the new high efficiency laundry soaps because normal soaps cause a suds build up and causes longer running times in spin and sometimes when really over suds the rinse cycle is affected also.

We had a problem with an old washer in our rented house. We decided to have Sears check the washer for a fee of $75; our experience with Sears is good and, at the time, their special deal was that we would receive $75 off a new washer. A Sears service man checked the washer and stated the repair cost would be more than the cost of a new washer. After he explained what was needed, we agreed to buy a new washer. We received $75 off the new Sears Kenmore washer.

You do not say your washer's age, but you have had it for 12 years now. You can request a service find the problem for a fee. At least you will know your choices.