Washer Only Spins When Empty

An empty front loading washing machine with the door open.
Determing the reason for a washer to stop working properly during the spin cycle may be beyond the skills of the typical consumer, at least without some research. This is a guide about washer only spins when empty.

I rent an apartment with a GE top load washer. Lately it will not spin with a load of clothes in the washer. When I take the clothes out and test the machine still no spinning. But if I let it sit overnight then it will spin with an empty drum. I've read my manual and done everything suggested. I'm frustrated and perplexed, is it me or the washer?

Answers

Sounds like maybe your belt stretched out or just bad or it could be a baring in the drum

It could be as simple as a tub nut, or as extensive as a transmission. Does it make noise too?

Your landlord or landlady is responsible for the washer, not you. They should fix or replace.

Let's face it, a washer that won't spin the water out is of no value. It could be that the washer is out of balance or a number of other things. Let your landlord know that the machine is not working properly. It is his responsibility.

It is not noisy, other then the spin, it goes through all the other parts of the wash cycle and makes the appropriate noises.

I am just trying to determine whether it is a user issue as my manual indicates if the washer spins when empty but not when full then that is likely what it is.

You rent? Contact the landlord.

https://www.you  ch?v=kmBy80vgHY0 how to fix a GE washer that wont spin... hope this helps.. of course the apartment mgt. should be responsible I would think, they should fix it.

Our GE washer will not spin when it has a load of clothes. It washes, rinses, and drains but will not spin. However, if you run it empty all cycles work fine. Any ideas?

I had a wonderful repairman in my community. My idea is to call a repair shop and talk to someone there. If you have access to a good repair person, it will likely be an easy thing to fix for someone who knows what they are doing. These people train for these jobs; I always think it is best to consult an expert.