Washer Not Spinning Properly

washing machine
When your washer stops spinning properly, you are often left with a machine full of wet laundry. This is a guide about a washer not spinning properly.

Well guys, I got the same problem yesterday night. My washing mashine didn't spin the water out. In the morning, I opened the small door on the front of the machine, in the right down corner. It was not easy, but finally opened.

After I twisted the cap and pull out a very very stinking and disgusting black thing. Bleah!

At first I thought I finished, but after I checked inside with a flashlight, and saw, there is some more of this disgusting black stuff. I pushed inside a fork and got it out. At the same time all the water came out to the floor. So I think the water couldnt leave, because the filter was totally full.

Now I am testing it and hope it was the only problem. I hope I could help you guys! Have a nice day!

Having a washer full of wet clothes because it is not spinning all of the water out is frustrating. This is a guide about washer does not spin water out of clothes.

A washer full of clothes and water.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about Kenmore washer not spinning. It is frustrating to be left with a wet load of laundry when your washer won't go into the spin cycle.

Washer Not Spinning

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What's wrong with the spin feature? It doesn't seem to spin water out and smells like rubber/plastic burning.

By creek girl

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Late to the party here, but it sounds like your drive belt is worn out and the pulley has rubbed against it causing it to overheat. When this happens the belt is compromised and needs to be replaced. When you replace the belt with a new one the tensioner may need to be adjusted depending on how tight/loose the belt is. If the motor spins but the tub doesn't, the tension needs to be tighter. If the whole thing spins fine, you should be good to go.

*Some washing machines are belt driven, some have the tub mounted directly atop the motor. It just depends on the model.

Hope this helps.

I have a Kenmore washer/dryer model# 110.88762793. It will fill with water and go through a whole wash cycle. When it's time for it to spin the water out it stops and will not do anything else. It will not pump the water out either. Can someone help me figure this out?

By Lowery

Best Answer

Check that nothing is blocking the washer door from closing all the way. There is a sensor that stops the cycle when the door is open.

My Frigidaire front load washer won't spin all the water out on my clothes. They come out soaking wet. Can some one help with the part I need to change?

By Lena R.

Best Answer

Check part select.com. They have great prices on the parts you need plus help you figure out what's wrong.

My washing machine still washes, but it doesn't do the hard spin it's meant to do, so the clothes still are very wet. There isn't any excess water and there are no blockages. Can anyone help?

By Julie from Wick, Caithness

Best Answer

No smart alec answer from me. The motor is weak. Most of the time it is the brushes are worn down to almost nothing. The brushes cost about $10.00 a pair and are very easy to replace. Make sure you UNPLUG the washer. If the brushes are not shorter than 1/4" or so, the motor may be worn out. The motor is also easily replaced if everything else is good. I replaced my pump (easy) and the brushes and got a "brand new" washing machine for $60.00 instead of $600.00. Google "how to replace washing machine motor brushes" for more info.

Why is my Roper washer not spinning as well as I used to? The clothes are still very wet.

By Allen from St. James, MO

Best Answer

It's possible the belt is wearing out and needs replacing. If all else works great, that's my best guess.

I have a Frigidaire front load washer, model gltf2940fs1. The problem started with water not pumping out, so l ordered a new drain pump. I put it on and now it pumps water out OK, but now it won't go into high spin to remove excess water from clothes. It will go thru all cycles OK except final spin cycle and will not complete final spin cycle. It shuts off with about 7 or 8 minutes left.

By John from Rockford, OH

Best Answer

You can contact the manufacturer for help online or by phone:

http://www.frigidaire.com/

CALL US

Mon - Sat, 8am - 8pm

1 (800) 374-4432 (EST)

The spin cycle spins, but the clothes are still quite damp.
Does it still need a new belt?

By Laurie

Best Answer

I don't think washers have belts any more. Call a repair person, and get it fixed in a jiffy.

My washer doesn't spin fast enough and leaves my clothes wet. How do I fix it with household tools?

By Jonathan

Best Answer

Sounds like your belt is too loose.

I have an Amana top loading heavy duty washing machine, probably 5-8 years old. It does not seem to spin clothes as dry as usual. Is there anything I can check or do before calling a repair person?

By KS from Mountain Home, AR

Best Answer

I'd check the condition of the belt. Perhaps it's stretched a bit or worn. This would mean it's not as tight as when new.

When my Samsung front load washer goes into the spin cycle, it acts like it can't balance itself out, therefore it doesn't get up to full speed. Therefore the clothes are not getting rung out all the why. Any solutions to this problem?

Answers

Reach into the washer and try to turn the basket. It should be hard to turn. If it is easy to turn, you have a problem with the drive block. If it is hard to turn, there is a problem with the clutch.

Anonymous

It turns fairly hard so I assume it must be the clutch. Thanks

My washing machine is spinning, but not at the speed it should. What's the problem?

I have a 20 - 30 year old Kenmore 110 washer. They do not make the washers and dryers last anymore. Both my washer and dryer are working well, except the washer does not spin all the water out on the permanent press spin cycle. It will spin all the water out properly on the sturdy cotton cycle. What might be the problem?

Answers

If you phone a repair person, most will tell you that your washer is too old to bother fixing. Mine was only 16 years old and washed clothes for only 1 or 2 people most of those years. I could not get anyone to fix it since out regular repairman closed his business. I might suspect that there is something worn out in the switch/dial/ whatever you have that controls the cycle. If I were you, I would simply wash my clothes on the cotton cycle, or wash them on the Perm/press cycle, and then switch over to the cotton cycle for the spin. If your machine is 30 years old, you are not going to get anyone to come and look at it, unless you have a saint for a repair person.

Thank you for your quick response. I have looked at new washers and dryers and am constantly told by the sales person that I should only expect 8- 10 years at the most. What a sorry statement. Several salesman have told me just to keep what I have until is completely breaks. It is not the money so much as the fact that they have built in planned obsolescence that makes me want to keep the washer just for spite.

Replace the belt. We had that problem a while back.

The timer may be off. We had that issue with one of our washers. Out of warranty, of course.

I have a Maytag Atlantis MAVT634AWW. It spins slowly and slightly off balance and is making a little noise. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom. I put in a new thrust bearing kit today, but it was no help. Do you have any idea what's going on? The tub bearing was changed last year, as well as, the belt.

Is it level? I know my Bosch had issues once when it was not level.

My mother had a washer off balance. It made a lot of noise. There are feet on the bottom of the machine that you can adjust.

My, just about two years old, washing machine has just died on me! It is running and stopping, but doesn't spin or get the water out. Only when I force by using a button it does the specific action but again, not for too long. Shall I throw it and buy a new one or is there a way to replace the computer within?

By Joseph Di T.

Have you tried cleaning the drain? Look at your manual for the location and instructions. The drain flap should be at the front, on the lower part of the machine. Sometimes a coin or something gets stuck there and prevents the spinning. It's very easy to clean.

Now sure I understand about the button thing but I do know that my washing machine won't spin if I have the lid open.

I have an Estate heavy duty washer and it will not spin with a large or even medium load. Small loads without towels will spin just fine.

What should I look for to be the problem?

My 2000 KitchenAid washer will not spin the last cycle to remove all the water!

By Betty from Terrebonne, OR

I got the same problem yesterday night. My washing mashine didn't spin the water. In the morning I opened the small door on the front of the mashine, in the right down corner. It was not easy, but finally opened. After I twisted the cap and pull out a very, very stinking and disgusting black thing. Bleah!

At first I thought I finished, but after I checked inside with a flashlight, and saw, there is some more of this disgusting black stuff. I pushed inside a fork and got it out. In the same time ALL THE WATER came out to the floor. So I think the water couldnt leave, because the filter was totally full.

How do you know if it's the lid switch not working or spin filter clogged? Washer dial stops after water goes in, but is spinning some. Washer is not full of water when stopped, but enough water to not allow clothes to go into dryer. I then manually start agitation and sometimes have to do it twice to get all the water out. How do I unclog the spin filter if it's that?

By agitated from USA

My washing machine is not spinning all the water out of my clothes.

Charlie

Answers:

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

Before calling a technician or replacing the machine, find a friend that knows how to use a carpenter's level and see if the machine is operating on a level playing field. (Believe me, please, we live in a very old house with floors that aren't level and can cause chaos on mechanical, electric devices.)

Many older models of washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, and free standing ovens/ranges have adjustable "feet" so that they can be adjusted to work on non level floors. (Don't know about the newer appliances as all of ours are old.)

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but just it case it does, you could save a bundle of money! Even if your home and appliances are new, there is always the possibility that something is not working well simply because it is not completely level. Good luck! (11/12/2010)

By KansasCindy

Our washing machine is not spinning all of the water out of the clothes. We often have to run it through an extra spin cycle to get the rest of the water out. It is draining, however, so I don't know if a clog is the problem. Does it sound like a belt problem? Is this something I can fix myself?

By Jana from Pleasant Hill, CA

Answers:

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

It sounds like it's time to call someone to repair your washer. (05/26/2010)

By MCW

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

I just had this same problem and it cost me over $250 to fix it. The transmission and clutch was out on mine. (and it's not even 4 yrs old!) It is fixed now and working better then ever. Guess ya just gotta get some American sweat in it to get em to work right! (05/26/2010)

By shetobka227

My rinse and spin cycle won't wring out the clothes.

By Nancy from Bronx, NY

Answers:

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

I just had mine repaired with the same problem. He replaced two belts on it. (01/07/2010)

By cathyphelps

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

This is not something that you can fix yourself, unless you are an appliance repair person. It could be belts. Or it could be a small part that goes on the motor. Call a repair person. It cost me $100 for the part and the house call, but it was fixed within two hours of making the call to the shop. Small price to pay to have the thing fixed. (01/08/2010)

By louel53

My washing machine is not spinning properly. The clothes are soaked at the end of the cycle and the fabric softener ball is not emptied. Any ideas that I can try before paying for a repairman to come to the house to take a look?

Thanks in advance.

Kerry from MA

Answers:

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

Are you sure it's not spinning? Sometimes the hose or the drain pipe gets clogged and the water just doesn't have a place to go. So check it out before you give up. (09/12/2006)

By pam2cats

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

This has happened to our machine many times. What is happening is your filter is blocked so the water cannot drain away no matter how many times the actual drum turns round in a spin.

What you need to do and its quite easy, is locate the filter at the back of the machine and clear it of all debris. Then you will find it will spin and empty properly. (09/13/2006)

By

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

It sounds like either your hose could have a crimp in it or your pump isn't working properly, if the pump was working, it would pump the water out as it spins. The hose may be clogged as was suggested before, so you'll probably end up getting a repairman out after all. (09/13/2006)

By Foxfire

Washing Machine Not Spinning Properly

When this happened to me, I turned my empty washer over and found a broken belt lying on the floor. I called the local supplier for such and reinstalled it myself. It's been about 10 years, so I don't remember if it was too hard, but I believe it was not too hard with proper tools, otherwise I would have called repair because I had money then.

God bless you for being willing to ask around and to try to DIY first to be more frugal. (09/13/2006)

By Lynda