Washing Machine Not Spinning During Wash Cycle

Automatic washers spin as part of the wash cycle prior to the rinse and spin cycles. If your machine is not spinning there may be an issue with the lid switch. This is a guide about washing machine not spinning during wash cycle.

My old Kenmore portable washer does not spin in the wash cycle. If I keep the safety switch locked down, when it comes to time of spinning, and I start to spin the tub by hand it starts to work. After a couple of washes it will do it automatically, but only with the switch held down.

What is wrong? It can not be switch and the belt is not broken. I need to know if I should just buy another portable washer. Thank you.

By Bronxboy from Mesa, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

In my machine, there is a plastic pin under the machine lid that forces the switch down in the spin cycle when the lid is closed. That pin has probably broken. You can get the replacement part online, probably. When it happened to me the machine was still under warranty so I was able to have it fixed for free.
The pic is of the lid, about to be closed, with the pin directly over the switch hole.

Best Answer

If the safety pin is working, and it sounds like it is, you probably need a new belt for the drum. The fact that the tub spins once you start it means the belt is still there, but may not be tight enough to generate the friction necessary to start the spinning process.

Take the back off the washer, and you should see the belt at the bottom of the tub. You can probably even get the Kenmore manual from their website if you need more help.

I have an 8 year old Kenmore washing machine. It will not spin after a wash cycle, on it's own. Every now and then it will. However, if I turn it to the spin cycle, it will spin out just fine. I have replaced the transmission and that wasn't the problem. Now what?

By Annette from Mesa, AZ

Answers:

Did you replace the belts? They stretch out. (12/18/2010)

By Grandma J

Most washing machines built in the last 15 years are direct drive, so they do not have belts. When it stops spinning it usually is the coupler between the motor and the water pump!

People can order parts at Sears Direct.Com they will need to know the make and model, usually located inside the lid on a riveted tag. It saves a lot of money. I only paid $15.00, an hour, and a little patience.

Source: My own information. I use to be a service technician for a gas company, and figured out a lot.

By Everett from Hornell, NY

Answers:

This is true. My husband just replaced the coupling on our washer. The replacement part is stronger and a better quality than the original. He bought the coupling for $7 on eBay. Sears wanted $20. (12/20/2009)

By Lori

My Maytag washing machine, model#sav405daww, doesn't spin on any wash cycle. The pulley on the motor turns and the belt is intact. All of the other cycles work including agitate.

SKWolf from Imperial

Answers:

Try putting something heavy (e.g. a large, full bottle/box of laundry detergent) on top of the machine (if its a top loader). I had the same problem with a top loader that has a latch. You can't open the lid, until a minute after the agitation stops, its a safety feature. Somehow I discovered that if something heavy was on the lid, right above the latch, it worked. Good Luck. (01/03/2009)

By

Hi, My mother's washer had that problem and it was a clog in the drain hose. There wasn't anyplace for the water to go, so it wouldn't spin the water out. We got rid of the clog and it works great. Loretta (01/05/2009)

By Loretta B.

Mine acted that way once long ago and it was as simple as a kink in the hose that wasn't noticeable until it tried to drain the water and spin! It cost a service trip to find that out. Good Luck! (01/06/2009)

By cedartree

Mine throws out the water, goes through all the cycles just won't spin. Sounds like if it's spinning but it's not. (02/20/2009)

By raul hoffman