When Does a Dog Stop Going Into Heat?

1
Share
9
Save
Follow
Print

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 128 Feedbacks

How old is a female dog when she stops going into heat and menstruating? I have a 7 year old that can not be de-sexed due health issues and the operation is too high a risk.

By petlover

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts

This is a great question! Dogs never stop going into heat although as they get older it may become less frequent. Even if she didn't go into heat for a year or more she will eventually go back into heat.

I feel badly she can't be spayed. Here's an explanation of what could happen if she has never been pregnant (posted by a DVM) so keep an eye on her the older she gets:

"After years of heat cycles without getting pregnant, the lining of a dogs uterus gets thicker and less pliable. Cells in that area may become inflamed, and potentially lead to a deadly bacterial infection called pyometra."

Anonymous

I have a 9yr old female when will she stop becoming in heat

Until she is spayed or is no longer around. She can be 20 and will still go through her cycle.

What is the percentile of dogs that get thickening of the uterus and the bad infection?

My pomeranian is 14 and just went into heat. Both of my pomeranians have trachea problems so surgery is dangerous

Your Veterinarian will answer this question. Why could she not have been de-sexed before she came into her first cycle?

She is a rescue they dont know how old she is they figure about eight thats why I believe the previous owners didnt have her spayed she was left out on the streets.

#FARSTAR - To answer your question - I saved the dog at 3 years old. All i know is that she had been de-barked & has such severe scarring in the throat that no tubes or anesthetic can be used - as she may die. I have given her a safe & happy life - free from males & of course spoil her to bits - she is content & full of joy. I am hoping that her health stay's good for the rest of her life.

Thanks for your interest.

Sorry but you never stated your dog had been de-barked and left with "scarring" throat tissues. The Veterinarian in question needs to refresh their University degree. You get points for giving her a safe happy home. Hope you don't have the same Vet.

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 29, 2012
🌻
👔
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/When-Does-a-Dog-Stop-Going-Into-Heat-.html