Feeding a Puppy Cooked Eggs

Feeding your dog an occasional cooked egg is fine. They usually really like them. With a puppy, any new food might be given in small amounts so that they get used to it. This is a guide about feeding a puppy cooked eggs.

Can I feed my 6 week old puppy cooked eggs? It is half Sheepdog/half Pyreneese.

Paula from Townville, SC

Answers

By U*u*U (Guest Post)
Best Answer

An egg is a good source of protein, but with any new food, I suggest you do what you'd do for a baby. Introduce it gradually, just a small bit at first and watch for any adverse reactions, i.e., stool changes, lethargy, etc.
Because of the cholesterol content, it should be limited too, just a bit, to a few times a week.

I don't think it will hurt your puppy, but I don't see any benefits either. The most important thing to feed your puppy is a premium puppy food (one you get at a pet store, not WalMart or a grocery store) Premium dog foods ensure your puppy gets the necessary nutrients -- this is especially important for large breed dogs.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com/.../index.php

I'm surprised the breeder placed him so young. Responsible breeders won't place puppies till at least 8 weeks of age.

If you rescued him, good for you -- thank you!

When I got my puppy, I was told I had to buy the first bag of Innova dry dog food for puppies before I could buy the puppy from them. I didn't mind as it's all healthy ingredients and the puppy liked it.
Go to the ASPCA website which lists what people foods are safe for pets, but more importantly, puppies need all the good nutrition that's in a healthy pet food; so it's worth it to buy it and our puppy has gone through two bags and it took awhile. We are going to be getting another puppy and she will be eating the same puppy brand of food. Puppies can easily have upset stomachs and vomit and changing to people food can also create diahrrea. For a little snack once in awhile, you might provide a little nibble or two of safe people food, but I wouldn't encourage doing this too much. It's not hard to wean a puppy away from dry dog food to people food and they won't readily return to the dog food with all the nutrients they need.

I feed my 8month old dachshund a scrambled egg on occasion and it hasn't killed him yet. I also feed him baked chicken on occasion and I don't feel one bit guilty for it. He loves the cooked treat I make for him out of chicken livers.

Also, he still eats his dry dog food I get at PetsMart. He eats it because that's the only thing he'll get unless and NOT UNTIL I decide to give him the things I just mentioned. My vet know I'm doing this. I also give him sliced apple, green beans (no salt) and raw carrots.