Feeding a Puppy

Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By fuzzytufts from south GA

A six week old puppy is a bit young to be away from its mother. Feeding it in lieu of it being nursed, may require some experimentation and special food for awhile. This is a guide about feeding a 6 week old puppy.

6 Week Old Puppy

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Please give me tips to take care of a dachshund. What kind of food should I give to a 5 months old puppy?

Sally from Cebu, Philippines

Answers

Lucky you! Doxie's are my favorite dog. My husband is a retired veterinarain and in his practice he always recommended Science Diet foods. There are many good foods out there but we just knew more about SD and liked the results it gave. All of our dogs have lived their entire lives on SD. I would give a doxie puppy food until it was about 18 months old and ONLY dry. If you give a good quality food there is no need for vitamins. We use dry becasue it's helpful in cleaning teeth and easier for owners. My doxie has never had canned and is 4 years old and loves iher dry food. Also, they should have no table food. Sometimes this spoils them so that they will give you a hard time about eating their food. Doxies especially should avoid getting fat. Look at them. That extra weight will be right below that long back and FREQUENTLY causes back problems. At 5 months I would feed twice daily but not free choice. Start with your morning feeding. Put down about a half cup of food. Watch. What has been eaten in about 10 minutes is what is needed for a meal. Take up the rest and measure so you know what to offer next time. At the evening feeding put your half cup down again and watch. The amount eaten is then what you should offer at the next morning feeding. As the dog grows/ages you may see that gobbled down quickly and then the little guy will give you clues that he's still hungry. Give a little more. Sort of play it by ear and watch closely. The reason for not leaving it down all day is the same reason I can't have a full plate of cookies setting out all day. Every time I walk by I MUST have a cookie. By the time the day is over I've pigged down the entire plate of cookies. Dogs also over eat if allowed free choice. Of course, somebody is going to say, "My dog eats free choice and isn't fat." Yeah, my husband can walk by cookies all day and eat only one but how many of us are like him!!? Well, I've told you much more than you asked for but I tend to get on a soap box when somebody asks about dogs and especially doxies so there you have it. Enjoy your new love. We're really enjoying ours! =(^.^)=

Our little girl (long hair, mini) is 9 and a such a blessing! When I had pneumonia 5 years ago which caused sleep apnea, she would wake me up when my breathing changed. She would come right up and nose me until I woke up and started breathing normally. As for hints; always watch your new pup's weight because of back problems, DISCOURAGE jumping off of beds, couches, chairs, etc, as it puts strain on their backs also. It took a while, but our girl is trained to wait to be moved from the bed/couch/chair to the floor (at least most of the time ...if someone is at the door she throws all caution to the wind).

If your pup is social with other dogs always keep a good eye on her when she is with bigger dogs as they may accidentally step on her and hurt her. Our girl's best friend was a huge Boxer mix who was gentle with her, but we still had to be careful. Our vet recommended dry food mixed with wet for her meals as she aged. It is better for her teeth. Doxies are prone to teeth problems also. Stay away from bones--beef or otherwise, which can break apart and be a choking hazard. We wish you many years of love from your new furry child!

If you can afford it, Science Diet is the healthiest dog food on the market = it comes in several different varieties, from puppy to old age and everything in between.

I wouldn't feed my dog Science Diet. It's actually one of the worst dogfoods out there, if you do some research. We feed our dogs and puppies Eagle Pack, which you can find at pet stores. It's pricey ($40 for 33lb bag of premium) but a good food. Do some research. It may surprise you. :-)

I have my doubts about the quality of Science Diet. All vets carry it in their clinics; there has to be a reason because there are other pet foods on the market just as high in quality. My quess is that the vet/clinic has a monetairy motive for carrying SD. Althought they carry it, I've NEVER had a vet suggest I feed my dashund SD. My two cents worth!

I wonder where tesmom got her info on SD. Tesmom, plrease respond.

To the guest post of 9-15 from a veterinarian's wife: Unless other vets get something we never did they aren't getting any kick backs from selling or recommending Science Diet. When my husband first became involved with pet foods he quickly discovered that other companies were doing a copy cat thing with SD and advertising their foods as 'good as Science Diet". They were in the beginning the leaders in animal nutrition. Things have changed over the years and there are several good pet foods now.

We've fed our dogs and cats only SD for over 23 years and have seen good results with all including young and old. To say that vets have a monetary motive for selling/recommending something is not fair. We carried foods that we could feel confident were of good quality and healthful to the animals. Yes, we made some money selling it. That's the way it works but we didn't get special consideration, just regular mark-up; the same way the grocery store and feed store does except less. Be fair, please.

My puppy is 4 months old and doesn't seem to be satisfied with puppy food. Is he too young to have adult food?

By Gretchen from Cleburne, TX

Answers

A four month old puppy still needs the extra protein in the puppy foods in my opinion. What kind of food are you feeding the puppy?

I would get him examined by a vet and then go on and feed him a higher quality food that doesn't have a lot of corn and by products in it like Diamond foods at Tractor Supply or other feed stores.

Blessings, Robyn

My Yorkie is 6 months old. Which is best, soaked or dried puppy food? He loves both. He likes a slice of apple, carrot, and frozen peas. He is fit healthy full of energy.

So my family has a teacup Morkie and she is about 11 weeks old and is only 1.5 pounds. We would like her to grow so she will gain some weight. Help!

Please help me. I got a Doberman pup (Taz) who is 27 days old. He doesn't drink milk at all. He has been hungry for for 2 days. I am very tense about it. Please give me some suggestions on what and how to feed him.

By Owais M. from Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Answers

Have you tried to bottle feed the pup with a half and half mixture of canned milk and water? You can use a regular 4oz baby bottle and nipple for him. You can also soak some puppy chow in the mixture until it is soft and feed that to him from you hand a little at a time.

Use baby bottle with puppy formula. Puppies that young need to eat every 2 hours.

You never explained how you came to have a 27day old puppy. And with no disrespect if any animal irrespective of age has not eaten for two days the sensible thing to do is contact your Veterinarian but to leave one so young with out treatment is disastrous.

My 14 week old Maltese will only eat if she is hand fed. We got her 2 weeks ago and rescued her from what we think is a puppy mill. She is healthy, weighs 43.5 oz today (9/26/15). She runs around, plays, and has lots of energy. I am soaking her puppy food until it's very soft and that's what she eats. She also won't drink. I give her liquids from a syringe.

How do I get her to eat on her own? I'm afraid to just stop feeding her as I worry about hypoglycemia and dehydration.

I put pieces of her soft food on the table for her to eat on her own, but she won't touch it. She has no idea that eating is something that she can do on her own.

When we went to pick her up from the breeder she was squeezing honey water into her mouth from a pointed squeeze bottle. She told me that she had been feeding her cooked chicken. My vet had a fit and told me that it was a poor diet and get her on a good food, which I did.

How can I train her to eat on her own? Thanks!

Answers

Your dog is used to being hand fed. She has never really had to eat on her own.

I would suggest giving her plain water by syringe so she doesn't dehydrate in the meantime. Stop hand feeding her. Put her softened food down where she can get it. Lead her over there about every hour.

Don't worry if she doesn't eat for more than 24 hours. Dogs can go that long without eating. There is no need to worry about blood sugar if she doesn't have diabetes. Humans and animals can handle occasional fasts.
Scatter food around if you need to but don't hand feed. When she gets hungry enough she'll eat.

Once she gets the hang of the food, give her a water dish as well. When you're teaching her about the water, give her a bowl of fresh water and change it twice a day. Put it near her food. To be sure she doesn't dehydrate completely, give her one or two syringes of water a day but not too much. if she doesn't get really thirsty she won't drink it.

The idea is that she has to get hungry and thirsty enough to eat and drink of her own.

I agree with Abigail's statements. Also, you could play a game with some of the food to encourage pup to eat it. I would do that with my pup and he would have fun and eat it too and created more bonding time. However, I've read extensively online about giving a pup soft dog food as it will eventually cause gum/teeth problems. Use one of those vinyl finger brushes and doggie paste to clean its teeth after it eats. My pup enjoyed chewing on it too which helped to keep teeth/gums clean.

I have two puppies that where taken by two very young children I have a feeling without permission. They were trying to sell the puppies and I talked them into letting me keep the puppies. I, along with a pastor, am trying to find the owners. I have decided I will pay them for the puppies if they tell me who they belong to. Meantime I have fed them chicken and beef broth mixed with Purnia chow because I did not have money to buy puppy chow. One is throwing up and has runny stool. I know it is because they both need to be with their mother. I am so scared for the babies. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this problem? I can't see anyone in their right mind giving puppies to children this young. They appear to be maybe 7 and 8 year old children!

Answers

Most pet stores carry a milk replacement product for puppies. That might work or they can be taken to a shelter where they can be fostered.

Take them to a no-kill shelter where they will be fostered with the correct milk-replacement formula. You can't afford this formula. Do it quickly or they could die.
Legally since you have possession of the puppies you are the owner.They will need you to sign them over.

DO NOT PAY THE CHILDREN ANYTHING. That is buying stolen merchandise, first of all. Most importantly, if they get the idea in their little pea-brains that they can get money for puppies there won't be a safe puppy in town!
Never reward criminal behavior in children!

How often do I feed an 8 week old Pit puppy? She eats dry food soaked, but I just want to know how often she should be fed?

By Jennifer from Ellijay, GA

Answers

Puppies that age should be fed 3 times a day and just the amount they will readily consume. This means they should have food put down and given 10-15 minutes to eat and then pick it up. If food is left down all the time they tend to overeat. Just like I do when there is a plate of cookies out all day!

Thumbs up to Glenn's Mom's answer; just want to add to this that your pup isn't too young to handle the dry food without wetting it ( as long as he's getting plenty of water).

Getting him accustomed to the dry kibble will help him in his teething process, and also help scrape tartar from those baby teeth.

My son got a 8 week old Pit Bull puppy. He was feeding her a cup of dry food in the morning and a cup at night. She would gobble her food in minutes. She is now 11 weeks old and does not seem nearly as interested in food. She went from 8 pounds to 14 pounds and seems healthy. She probably eats about a cup and a half a day now. Should we be concerned? She drinks lots of water, but seems not as active. She is up to date with her shots. Her next set is July 8th which will be her 3rd set of shots. Thank you!

I just got my baby Shih Tzu puppy and I'm scared she will get sick if she doesn't eat. She'll take in a lil then doesn't want any more. I bought milk replacement, I'm just not sure what to do next or if I should put in anything else with the replacement milk to please my lil diva.

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

I have a 7 week old Chiweenie puppy. Mom has dried up and she was eating watered down soft puppy food for this last week. She will not take a bottle, but will drink water. As of today she will not eat and seems weak. What can I do to help this little one?

Answers

If it's not too late take her to a Vet.

I have a month old Cocker. What should I feed him? He is my first pet.

By Mahima

Answers

You have a puppy that has been taken from its' mother too early. I would try to feed it canned dog food or softened dry food. It may take your puppy awhile to learn to eat so be patient. You can buy dog food especially for puppies. Just make sure it is soft and moist. Keep a dish of water close by. The puppy needs to be fed 4 or 5 times a day. Feed it all it will eat. It needs a warm bed with blankets that can be washed. Be careful of using heating pads, as they can be too warm for a puppy. Be sure to give your puppy lots of attention to make up for losing its' mother so young. There are many good posts on this website about raising young puppies. Do a search.

What is the best food to feed my 8 week old German Shepherd Husky mix? We want to give him the best food to keep him lean and in good health.

By Jourdann

Answers

Here are some healthy food names: Wellness, Natural Balance, Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Castor and Pollux, Honest Kitchen, AvoDerm, Evo

Do not go with: Ol' Roy, Purina, Alpo, Old Glory, Kroger Value, Old Yeller Kibbles and Bits, Beneful, Eukanuba, Royal Canin

Is my Pug puppy not eating enough? I feed him about a handful a meal. He is about 11 weeks old.

By Katie

Answers

Just look at the back of the package and it should tell you. Or, just call your local Vet!

I have a 8 week old Husky/Shepherd; how many times a day should I feed him and how much?

By Ed M

Answers

You should ask for the long term feeding chart from whoever you obtained the puppy from. It's mandatory for registered licensed breeders to supply this information when the puppy leaves at eight weeks.

I would also contact a veterinarian. This is the most critical part of your animal's life that can affect it for the rest of it's life. And please don't forget it's annual vaccinations are imperative for a long healthy life.

I have a 3 month old Pit/Lab mixed puppy. My neighbor gave him to me with adult dog food (Gravy Train). So I have been feeding him with it and he seems to love it. When I take him out to bathroom, his poop comes out thick and soft like ice cream (sorry). I am wondering if that's OK to give him, cause I never know what brand of puppy food is best. I don't want to have to constantly switch between different brands, as I have been with previous brands? So any suggestions on type and brand of puppy food for my little guy?

By James B from Columbus, GA

Answers

Hello,
Congrats on your new fur baby. Gravy Train has been around for many years and is one of the cheapest brands you can feed your dog, especially a puppy. Your puppy needs to have a puppy food diet until he is at least 8-9 months old. He needs all the nutrients that are in a puppy food to help him grow and maintain good health.

Gravy train will make his stools soft because of all the junk they put in it. If you put him on a better diet, you will have non loose stools, less smell, less gas, and more, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. i have worked for a Veterinarian for many years and our Doctor's always suggest a brand called Wellness, or Blue Buffalo. these brands also have a puppy food.

I have been feeding my 2 dogs Wellness for many years, and they are happy & healthy. You can call the Wellness company and they will send you a puppy package for your puppy. It will have "How to Care" for your puppy and also some coupons. Good luck. Please don't forget to vaccinate your puppy as the breed he is is prone to the parvo virus.

They gave me a small puppy and she has got baby teeth. I don't know how old she is. She was hungry so I gave her 2% milk; is that good for her?

By EG

Answers

2% milk in not the best choice to feed your puppy. You need to know how old the puppy is to know what to feed it. Find a local Veterinarian and take the puppy to see him/her. They can tell you how old the puppy is, what to feed now and in the future. The puppy needs shots too. Get a good puppy food at the pet store and soften it with water until it is soft enough for the puppy to eat. Good luck with your puppy.

I have a baby Chihuahua puppy. I do not know how old it is, but it doesn't have any teeth and it still acts like it's trying to nurse on its mother. The people who gave it to me were gonna take it to the pound so I took him.

He acts like he is fine with the puppy milk I've been feeding him. I put a little bit of puppy food in it and warm it up and feed it to him. I just want to make sure he is gonna be okay if I feed him that. Please help me!

By Trina

Answers

Vet immediately. Pup will die in hours if there is wrong formula or no feed. Probable need is milk replacer from pet food store. Please, immediate action.

I have a 7 week old Bichon Frise; how many times a day is it best to feed her?

By Mo

Answers

What does your vet say?

I've never had that breed but have raised puppies for years (Boxers). Our pups that age would still be getting a lot of their nourishment from Mum although I would be offering a quality kibble moistened with water or a puppy milk replacement every three or four hours, too.

If you decide to try starting your puppy on moistened kibble, be sure to supervise-watch for choking, gagging, and yes, drowning/suffocating. If he falls asleep during feeding and lands nose first, he may lack the ability to wake-up and move his face. Puppies of different breeds grow and develop at breed specific stages and not all 7 week olds have strength and instincts in equal measure.

Also remove the kibble once the puppy loses interest, and don't try to economise by saving it over to the next feeding time because it could spoil even in a short time, causing tummy troubles for your puppy.

How much should a Chihuahua/Pug mix puppy eat per day? My Chug, as they're called, is 6 weeks old (too young, but things happen) and I'm worried about her overeating, as Pugs tend to do. On January 15th, she was 5 weeks 4 days old and weighed 1 pound 4.2 ounces. Today, January 19th, she weighs 1 pound 9.6 ounces and her belly looks a bit fat to me. Currently, I give her as much dry puppy food (soaked in water) as she'll eat 4 times in a 24-hour period. But 5.4 ounces seems like a lot of weight gain in four days. I've never had a puppy this young before. Any advice or tips on what to do?

By Grumblesnort

Answers

When puppies are this young, they will not overeat. Everything in them says 'grow, grow, grow'. Being a small breed, your dog will reach her adult size by roughly 6-8 months. Then you can use the information on the side of your dog food container to figure how much food to feed. We have small dogs and use their optimum weight as a guideline, figure the amt, then feed half in the AM and half in the PM. Best wishes with you new puppy!

My pug puppy is 12 weeks old, and she won't eat the required measured amount of food that she needs. She turns her nose up at it.

By Jacqui G.

I have adopted a very young puppy (4-5 wks old) that was either abandoned or lost her mama. She's actually a wonderful puppy, extremely smart and very laid back...except when it comes to eating. OMG, it is unreal!

My sister found her and fed her canned food for the first 5 days. My sis warned me that she was crazy when she ate. I switched to giving her dry food soaked in water. But the first day, I just got it wet and let it sit for about 5 minutes. She ate it so fast!

I didn't realize there was a problem until her next few stools; they were loose with a pinkish/clear liquid. I was immediately concerned that the food was too hard on her little tummy, not to mention the fact that she couldn't possibly be chewing the food. I then let her food completely soak up the water so it was soft. That seemed to help as far as her stools go, they have been normal.

I just cannot get her to slow down! I've tried hand feeding a few kibbles at a time and letting her eat from the bowl while I hold it, then taking it away to make her take a breath. But, as soon as she can she's inhaling again. I've read to keep food down where she always has access to it (this is what I've always done with my other pets), but I'm afraid she might hurt or kill herself if food was available all the time.

I have two main concerns with this: she's not chewing the food at all, (there are a few pieces of kibble that don't get completely soft and I worry she's going to choke). I'm afraid I'll never be able to give her dry food if this continues. The other is, I'm afraid that when she's older, she'll be food aggressive. I'm hoping to have her certified as a therapy dog or at least an emotional support companion. And she "cannot" be aggressive at all to be certified.

The common theory would be that she had to fight for food from her litter mates, but she wasn't underweight when we found her nor was she old enough to fight for "regular" food. She'll try to take my food from me, right after she's eaten, so it can't be from hunger; can it?

She still wants to suckle. Would bottle feeding her help? I was thinking once a day? I'll do whatever it takes to break her from doing this. If not bottle feeding, what else can I do?

I've already fallen completely in love with my DaisyMae, and I want the best for her. I just need her to slow down enough to at the very least, chew her food.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much!

By MaryAnn M.

My 8 week old Pit Bull pup doesn't want to eat or drink anything today. I'm taking him to the vet when they open, but until then idk what to do. He's still active and what not, but his tummy is making a bubbly noise like it does when you're hungry.

By Crystal

I have 3 six month old Pit Bull puppies. How many times a day should I feed them?

By Karlis from Louisville, KY

How do I get a 5 week old puppy with a splint, to eat?

By Ashley from Upland, CA

I need help. I don't know what to do with our new puppy. She's a half and half breed of something but we don't know what it is or her age. We can tell she isn't weaned. I need to know what to do. There is no way she can eat regular dry food, her teeth are barely starting to come in. Can she drink regular milk? Help.

Kesley from Oklahoma

Answers:

Feeding a Puppy That Can't Eat Dry Food Yet

You're not supposed to give puppies "people" milk. If you will check at your local Wal-Mart or contact your vet, there is a milk replacement for puppies. I raise Yorkies and what I do when they first start on food is to put a small amount of dry food in a bowl with hot water, make sure the food is covered. Let this sit until it cools off to lukewarm and it should have absorbed the water by now and it makes a soft dog food they can eat. Don't give them canned dog food, this will often times give the little guys diarrhea. Good luck with your puppy!! (05/06/2005)

By kountry_kraftin

Feeding the puppy can be quite simple and easy. If the teeth are showing then they have some ability to chew. Simply take puppy food and saturate it with water, whisk or blend with a mixer or blender after water is absorbed and serve to puppy. Start with a really soupy mix and gradually thicken as the days go on. Placing the pup's front paws in the food will entice them to eat. By 4-5 weeks they will be able to eat unblended moist kibble and 5-6 they should be able to eat dry kibble. Be sure to serve plenty of water and never feed a puppy people food or milk products unless specially designed for puppies. Good luck and have fun. (05/07/2005)

By Barbie

Talk to your vet or local pet supply store about Nutri-Cal. It comes in a tube and is a feeding supplement for puppies too young to feed. Also, you might try getting Gerber baby food meats. There's beef, chicken, turkey, veal, ham. Give a little of this mixed in with some kibble mush. No milk! Our teacup chihuahua weighed only 11 oz. when we brought her home 2 years ago and these things seemed to work great for her.

Also, watch the pup's water intake as very young puppies can get dehydrated quickly. Our vet gave me a syringe with the needle removed so I could shoot some Nutri-cal and then some water (not too much at a time!) into Mitzi's mouth. She's now a robust 2 year old and weighs in at a whopping 4 lbs! Also, she still likes her baby food and won't eat her meals unless I put just a little on top and smear it around. What a spoiled brat! (05/07/2005)

My family raised 21 puppies totally by hand from the time they were two weeks old. The vet's office gave me a recipe consisting of evaporated milk, boiled water, white corn syrup and infant vitamins instead of suggesting I buy the prepared formula (he knew we couldn't afford that for 21 pups). When the pups reached about 6 weeks of age we started feeding them puppy chow that we had sogged with warm water. All of the pups survived, and we kept one who is still quite healthy. I can't remember the ratios, but I'm sure most, if not all, vets know this recipe or something similar. (05/07/2005)

By terdralynn

Our local Walmart carries Bitch's milk and bottles. It mixes up just like powder baby formula. You will find it in the pet supply area. You will probably need to puncture the nipple with a hot straight pin. Most do not have holes in them. Start off with that for a few days then introduce some wet can food a little bit at a time. Don't except the pup to drink from a bottle just like a baby. They usually suck a bottle from the corner of their mouth. I feed our puppy around every 4 hours while bottle feeding. You will know when the pup is hungry because she will whine and cry. Now is a great time to start paper training the pup if she's going to be a house dog. Buy the puppy training pads and place the pup on it every time you take her out of her basket, carrier or etc. We have had our pup for 2 weeks and she will whine when she has to potty too. Good luck (05/07/2005)

The Mother dog slows down on breast feeding puppies when they are 2 weeks old anyway. I take canned dog food and put some on my finger and let the puppies start sucking it off. I do this several times a day. It takes about a week doing this before they learn to eat. The 3rd week of their lives the puppies are eating and the mother is nursing them even less. By the end of 3 1/2 weeks they are eating soggy dry dog food. (05/08/2005)

I would try slightly warmed baby food such as the liver or chicken flavors. Later, I would start mixing in dry food, letting it stand long enough so that the dry food softens (or soften with water as stated above or with chicken or vegetable broth). Then I'd gradually lessen the amount of baby food, until the dog is on dry only. This gradual approach will assure that the pup's stomach doesn't get upset with the abrupt change in diet. (05/09/2005)

By Claudia

It seems that bit about not feeding dairy products or any people food to dogs is simply a myth.

Several veterinarians have advised us to feed a mix of evaporated milk and corn syrup. Veterinarians have also told us to add scrambled egg to the mix as the puppies get a little older.

We adopted a new family member from the shelter and he had more bacteria in his stool than what the vet said he should have. He advised feeding a spoon of yogurt every day. Raw meat may be one of the best things to feed a dog. (05/20/2005)

By Coleen

I've raised plenty of litters and the best thing is to get a formula from the vet and mix it with Weetabix until it's a sloppy mixture. Make it about body temp, never cold (remember Mum's milk was body temp, so that's what they need) and give it to the pup. They love it!

Good luck. 05/21/2005)

By ladyshot

Try mixing her dog food with water and letting it set until it gets soft then you can mush it up with a spoon and you might have to force her to eat at first but she should get the hang of it. If not there is the baby bottle, just make sure you get pet sized. You can usually get them from a farm and ranch store, and if needed there is milk substitute for animals. (05/23/2005)

By Jessica

Our Sheba Inu mother dog was let out to go pee one day, and never returned. Long story short, we were left raising 4 sweet one week old puppies. So I also went to Walmart and bought the puppy formula they sell, and began bottle feeding them. Right now they are almost 3 and a half weeks old. So cute, but this is getting very expensive, since we go through a can every week or earlier. So reading all these entries have made me feel so much better knowing I can soon start feeding them dry food, and just moisten it. Yea! Thank you! (11/14/2005)

By Stef

Contact a vet and get professional advice. And don't give your pup cow's milk! Contrary to popular belief, cats aren't supposed to drink cow's milk and neither are dogs. Your pup is too young to eat dog food also, so please call your local vet. (01/22/2006)

By Anonymous

I fed a litter of great Pyrenees pups from the time they were 5 days old. A breeder gave me a recipe for formula that worked great. It was a can of pet milk, 1 cup of plain whole fat yogurt, 1 can of baby food beef, and a can of water. Just mix up in the blender. They grew fine and seemed very satisfied. (05/28/2008)

I had this problem this week. We adopted an 8 week old puppy on Monday and it's Thursday. She hadn't been eating well and was constantly whining. So I thought and thought. I didn't have time to go to the store, not until later tonight.

I opened a can of Veg-All and warmed it up in the microwave. I put some of her kibble (Blue Buffalo puppy) in her bowl and put 2 spoonfuls of the veg-all on top. Then I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil on top, stirred it up and let it sit to soak in. She gobbled it up. Thankfully, she now has a full tummy and is taking a nap. =) (05/29/2008)

Never give a pup cow's milk. I'm a breeder and when I get pups that need to be bottle fed I use goat's milk. You can buy it in a can in the grocery store down most baking aisles. Or sometimes in the milk case. Fresh goats milk by the quart. You will need to dilute it half and half so it's not too strong. At 3 to 4 weeks old you can start the pup on dry food moistened with warm goats milk to make it soft and add a little bit of baby jarred meat from gerber- prefer turkey or chicken, it's easier on tummy.

At first put a little on your finger to get them to lick it. Make sure if pups don't have teeth yet to smoosh it up and add more liquid like thinned out oatmeal. As they get use to it over the next couple weeks thicken it up. And by 8 weeks old you should be able to just moisten the dry puppy food with warm water. I have raised many of pups like this and they all turned out healthy! Good luck!

Oh yes. In a previous post someone mentioned nutri-cal. You can get this from Petco or Petsmart as well. If a puppy was small or a small breed I would use this once a day as well, too. Its great source of vitamins and minerals also provides protein, and calories for the pup as well as glucose (sugar) for small pups so they don't go into hypoglycemic shock. Good luck. (01/17/2009)

By Maria