Feeding a Puppy

Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By gbk from south GA

Young puppies that are no longer nursing, won't or can't always begin eating dry kibbles right away. There are products made especially for this situation, your vet may also have advice on homemade alternatives. There are several ideas offered on this page, as well. This is a guide about feeding a puppy that can't eat dry food yet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

A six week old puppy is a bit young to be away from its mother. Feeding it in lieu of it being nursed, may require some experimentation and special food for awhile.

This is a guide about feeding a 6 week old puppy.

Please give me tips to take care of a dachshund. What kind of food should I give to a 5 months old puppy?

Sally from Cebu, Philippines

Answers

Lucky you! Doxie's are my favorite dog. My husband is a retired veterinarain and in his practice he always recommended Science Diet foods. There are many good foods out there but we just knew more about SD and liked the results it gave. All of our dogs have lived their entire lives on SD. I would give a doxie puppy food until it was about 18 months old and ONLY dry. If you give a good quality food there is no need for vitamins. We use dry becasue it's helpful in cleaning teeth and easier for owners. My doxie has never had canned and is 4 years old and loves iher dry food. Also, they should have no table food. Sometimes this spoils them so that they will give you a hard time about eating their food. Doxies especially should avoid getting fat. Look at them. That extra weight will be right below that long back and FREQUENTLY causes back problems. At 5 months I would feed twice daily but not free choice. Start with your morning feeding. Put down about a half cup of food. Watch. What has been eaten in about 10 minutes is what is needed for a meal.

Take up the rest and measure so you know what to offer next time. At the evening feeding put your half cup down again and watch. The amount eaten is then what you should offer at the next morning feeding. As the dog grows/ages you may see that gobbled down quickly and then the little guy will give you clues that he's still hungry. Give a little more. Sort of play it by ear and watch closely. The reason for not leaving it down all day is the same reason I can't have a full plate of cookies setting out all day. Every time I walk by I MUST have a cookie. By the time the day is over I've pigged down the entire plate of cookies. Dogs also over eat if allowed free choice. Of course, somebody is going to say, "My dog eats free choice and isn't fat." Yeah, my husband can walk by cookies all day and eat only one but how many of us are like him!!? Well, I've told you much more than you asked for but I tend to get on a soap box when somebody asks about dogs and especially doxies so there you have it. Enjoy your new love. We're really enjoying ours! =(^.^)=

By Pghgirl40 (Guest Post)

Our little girl (long hair, mini) is 9 and a such a blessing! When I had pneumonia 5 years ago which caused sleep apnea, she would wake me up when my breathing changed. She would come right up and nose me until I woke up and started breathing normally. As for hints; always watch your new pup's weight because of back problems, DISCOURAGE jumping off of beds, couches, chairs, etc, as it puts strain on their backs also. It took a while, but our girl is trained to wait to be moved from the bed/couch/chair to the floor (at least most of the time ...if someone is at the door she throws all caution to the wind).

If your pup is social with other dogs always keep a good eye on her when she is with bigger dogs as they may accidentally step on her and hurt her. Our girl's best friend was a huge Boxer mix who was gentle with her, but we still had to be careful. Our vet recommended dry food mixed with wet for her meals as she aged. It is better for her teeth. Doxies are prone to teeth problems also. Stay away from bones--beef or otherwise, which can break apart and be a choking hazard. We wish you many years of love from your new furry child!

If you can afford it, Science Diet is the healthiest dog food on the market = it comes in several different varieties, from puppy to old age and everything in between.

I wouldn't feed my dog Science Diet. It's actually one of the worst dogfoods out there, if you do some research.

We feed our dogs and puppies Eagle Pack, which you can find at pet stores. It's pricey ($40 for 33lb bag of premium) but a good food. Do some research. It may surprise you. :-)

By (Guest Post)

I have my doubts about the quality of Science Diet. All vets carry it in their clinics; there has to be a reason because there are other pet foods on the market just as high in quality. My quess is that the vet/clinic has a monetairy motive for carrying SD. Althought they carry it, I've NEVER had a vet suggest I feed my dashund SD. My two cents worth!

By (Guest Post)

I wonder where tesmom got her info on SD. Tesmom, plrease respond.

To the guest post of 9-15 from a veterinarian's wife: Unless other vets get something we never did they aren't getting any kick backs from selling or recommending Science Diet. When my husband first became involved with pet foods he quickly discovered that other companies were doing a copy cat thing with SD and advertising their foods as 'good as Science Diet". They were in the beginning the leaders in animal nutrition. Things have changed over the years and there are several good pet foods now.

We've fed our dogs and cats only SD for over 23 years and have seen good results with all including young and old. To say that vets have a monetary motive for selling/recommending something is not fair. We carried foods that we could feel confident were of good quality and healthful to the animals. Yes, we made some money selling it. That's the way it works but we didn't get special consideration, just regular mark-up; the same way the grocery store and feed store does except less. Be fair, please.

My puppy is 4 months old and doesn't seem to be satisfied with puppy food. Is he too young to have adult food?

By Gretchen from Cleburne, TX

Answers

A four month old puppy still needs the extra protein in the puppy foods in my opinion. What kind of food are you feeding the puppy?

I would get him examined by a vet and then go on and feed him a higher quality food that doesn't have a lot of corn and by products in it like Diamond foods at Tractor Supply or other feed stores.

Blessings, Robyn

My Yorkie is 6 months old. Which is best, soaked or dried puppy food? He loves both. He likes a slice of apple, carrot, and frozen peas. He is fit healthy full of energy.

So my family has a teacup Morkie and she is about 11 weeks old and is only 1.5 pounds. We would like her to grow so she will gain some weight. Help!

Please help me. I got a Doberman pup (Taz) who is 27 days old. He doesn't drink milk at all. He has been hungry for for 2 days. I am very tense about it. Please give me some suggestions on what and how to feed him.

By Owais M. from Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Answers

Have you tried to bottle feed the pup with a half and half mixture of canned milk and water? You can use a regular 4oz baby bottle and nipple for him. You can also soak some puppy chow in the mixture until it is soft and feed that to him from you hand a little at a time.

Use baby bottle with puppy formula. Puppies that young need to eat every 2 hours.

You never explained how you came to have a 27day old puppy. And with no disrespect if any animal irrespective of age has not eaten for two days the sensible thing to do is contact your Veterinarian but to leave one so young with out treatment is disastrous.

My 14 week old Maltese will only eat if she is hand fed. We got her 2 weeks ago and rescued her from what we think is a puppy mill. She is healthy, weighs 43.5 oz today (9/26/15). She runs around, plays, and has lots of energy. I am soaking her puppy food until it's very soft and that's what she eats. She also won't drink. I give her liquids from a syringe.

How do I get her to eat on her own? I'm afraid to just stop feeding her as I worry about hypoglycemia and dehydration.

I put pieces of her soft food on the table for her to eat on her own, but she won't touch it. She has no idea that eating is something that she can do on her own.

When we went to pick her up from the breeder she was squeezing honey water into her mouth from a pointed squeeze bottle. She told me that she had been feeding her cooked chicken. My vet had a fit and told me that it was a poor diet and get her on a good food, which I did.

How can I train her to eat on her own? Thanks!

I have two puppies that where taken by two very young children I have a feeling without permission. They were trying to sell the puppies and I talked them into letting me keep the puppies. I, along with a pastor, am trying to find the owners. I have decided I will pay them for the puppies if they tell me who they belong to. Meantime I have fed them chicken and beef broth mixed with Purnia chow because I did not have money to buy puppy chow. One is throwing up and has runny stool. I know it is because they both need to be with their mother. I am so scared for the babies. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this problem? I can't see anyone in their right mind giving puppies to children this young. They appear to be maybe 7 and 8 year old children!

Answers

Most pet stores carry a milk replacement product for puppies. That might work or they can be taken to a shelter where they can be fostered.

How often do I feed an 8 week old Pit puppy? She eats dry food soaked, but I just want to know how often she should be fed?

By Jennifer from Ellijay, GA

Answers

Puppies that age should be fed 3 times a day and just the amount they will readily consume. This means they should have food put down and given 10-15 minutes to eat and then pick it up. If food is left down all the time they tend to overeat. Just like I do when there is a plate of cookies out all day!

Thumbs up to Glenn's Mom's answer; just want to add to this that your pup isn't too young to handle the dry food without wetting it ( as long as he's getting plenty of water).

Getting him accustomed to the dry kibble will help him in his teething process, and also help scrape tartar from those baby teeth.

My son got a 8 week old Pit Bull puppy. He was feeding her a cup of dry food in the morning and a cup at night. She would gobble her food in minutes. She is now 11 weeks old and does not seem nearly as interested in food. She went from 8 pounds to 14 pounds and seems healthy. She probably eats about a cup and a half a day now. Should we be concerned? She drinks lots of water, but seems not as active. She is up to date with her shots. Her next set is July 8th which will be her 3rd set of shots. Thank you!

I just got my baby Shih Tzu puppy and I'm scared she will get sick if she doesn't eat. She'll take in a lil then doesn't want any more. I bought milk replacement, I'm just not sure what to do next or if I should put in anything else with the replacement milk to please my lil diva.

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

I have a 7 week old Chiweenie puppy. Mom has dried up and she was eating watered down soft puppy food for this last week. She will not take a bottle, but will drink water. As of today she will not eat and seems weak. What can I do to help this little one?

I have a month old Cocker. What should I feed him? He is my first pet.

By Mahima

Answers

You have a puppy that has been taken from its' mother too early. I would try to feed it canned dog food or softened dry food. It may take your puppy awhile to learn to eat so be patient. You can buy dog food especially for puppies. Just make sure it is soft and moist. Keep a dish of water close by. The puppy needs to be fed 4 or 5 times a day. Feed it all it will eat. It needs a warm bed with blankets that can be washed. Be careful of using heating pads, as they can be too warm for a puppy. Be sure to give your puppy lots of attention to make up for losing its' mother so young. There are many good posts on this website about raising young puppies. Do a search.

What is the best food to feed my 8 week old German Shepherd Husky mix? We want to give him the best food to keep him lean and in good health.

By Jourdann

Answers

Here are some healthy food names: Wellness, Natural Balance, Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Castor and Pollux, Honest Kitchen, AvoDerm, Evo

Do not go with: Ol' Roy, Purina, Alpo, Old Glory, Kroger Value, Old Yeller Kibbles and Bits, Beneful, Eukanuba, Royal Canin

My pug puppy is 12 weeks old, and she won't eat the required measured amount of food that she needs. She turns her nose up at it.

By Jacqui G.

Is my Pug puppy not eating enough? I feed him about a handful a meal. He is about 11 weeks old.

By Katie

Answers

Just look at the back of the package and it should tell you. Or, just call your local Vet!

I have a 8 week old Husky/Shepherd; how many times a day should I feed him and how much?

By Ed M

Answers

You should ask for the long term feeding chart from whoever you obtained the puppy from. It's mandatory for registered licensed breeders to supply this information when the puppy leaves at eight weeks.

I would also contact a veterinarian. This is the most critical part of your animal's life that can affect it for the rest of it's life. And please don't forget it's annual vaccinations are imperative for a long healthy life.

I have a 3 month old Pit/Lab mixed puppy. My neighbor gave him to me with adult dog food (Gravy Train). So I have been feeding him with it and he seems to love it. When I take him out to bathroom, his poop comes out thick and soft like ice cream (sorry). I am wondering if that's OK to give him, cause I never know what brand of puppy food is best. I don't want to have to constantly switch between different brands, as I have been with previous brands? So any suggestions on type and brand of puppy food for my little guy?

By James B from Columbus, GA

Answers

Hello,
Congrats on your new fur baby. Gravy Train has been around for many years and is one of the cheapest brands you can feed your dog, especially a puppy. Your puppy needs to have a puppy food diet until he is at least 8-9 months old. He needs all the nutrients that are in a puppy food to help him grow and maintain good health.

Gravy train will make his stools soft because of all the junk they put in it. If you put him on a better diet, you will have non loose stools, less smell, less gas, and more, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. i have worked for a Veterinarian for many years and our Doctor's always suggest a brand called Wellness, or Blue Buffalo. these brands also have a puppy food.

I have been feeding my 2 dogs Wellness for many years, and they are happy & healthy. You can call the Wellness company and they will send you a puppy package for your puppy. It will have "How to Care" for your puppy and also some coupons. Good luck. Please don't forget to vaccinate your puppy as the breed he is is prone to the parvo virus.

They gave me a small puppy and she has got baby teeth. I don't know how old she is. She was hungry so I gave her 2% milk; is that good for her?

By EG

Answers

2% milk in not the best choice to feed your puppy. You need to know how old the puppy is to know what to feed it. Find a local Veterinarian and take the puppy to see him/her. They can tell you how old the puppy is, what to feed now and in the future. The puppy needs shots too. Get a good puppy food at the pet store and soften it with water until it is soft enough for the puppy to eat. Good luck with your puppy.

Load More