Feeding a 2 Week Old Puppy

There are a number of reasons you may find yourself feeding and caring for a very young puppy. This page contains recommendations for how and what to feed a two week old puppy.

I have 4 two week old French Poodles. Their mother just died; what can I feed them and how?

By Jimena from San Diego

Answers

Best Answer

Jimena, I did a search on this website for "puppy formula" and found several good posts. I recommend that you use the one recommended by a veterinarian, but some of the others could be used in a pinch. It's better NOT to feed them cows milk, as dogs are often lactose intolerant.

After feeding the infant puppies, you must very, very gently stroke their bellies to make them pee and poop; the mother would normally do this for them by licking them gently. They are not able to go on their own until about 3-4 weeks old, when they start toddling around, but you should still help them to go until you're sure they can all go on their own.

The poop will not be "solid" but soft and messy; just wipe them clean gently with soft toilet paper. They will need to be fed every 2-3 hours for a while; you can use medicine droppers; let them try to suck it out as you slowly squeeze the bulb, but never let them take it too fast, and be very careful they don't breathe it in.

The other tips on this website (as mentioned before) will help you, but please check with a vet for advice as soon as you can.

I just got a two week old Pit Bull puppy and the mama died. How and what can I feed her to help keep her healthy? I tried using a spoon with evaporated milk and water mixed, but she won't take it.

Plz help me cuz my son is in love with this dog.

Answers

Best Answer

Go to walmart and buy milk replacer plus and bottle feed the puppy. Ive been bottle feeding 8 puppies for over a week cuz the day the mom had the puppies she died. Its been working good for us.

I am hand rearing 4 two week old Jack Russell puppies, one of them developed an upset stomach and was reluctant to feed so I changed her to lactose free milk and have wormed them all. This seems to have helped a lot. The formula I am giving her has no feeding amounts, she weighs approx. 220g. How much should I be giving her?

By lynne