Feeding a 5 Week Old Puppy

Caring for and feeding puppies young puppies that typically would still be being fed by the mom may require purchasing some milk replacement and perhaps offering moistened puppy food. This is a guide about feeding a five week old puppy.

My blue nose Pit Bull is 5 weeks old weighing at 6.9lbs. Does anyone know how much formula milk replacer/water I should give him? I read the back of the formula, but it's still confusing.

Answers

Best Answer

At five weeks old, he should be able to start eating dry puppy food mixed with water. Normally there is no need to continue to make formula for him. If he has his teeth coming in buy a bag of dry puppy food and mix it with water. He will love it.

Best Answer

They shine have one ounce of formula for every 8 ounces of body weight. This would be about 13 ounces per feeding.

Can I give a 5 week old Rottweiler goat's milk as a drink from a dish and bring in meat, in instead of bottle feeding?

By Jonny

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know about the meat. I think it would be too harsh on the tummy.

When I have had young pups that the mother won't feed, we just warm a little milk, and let it soak into puppy chow food, then let the pup eat.

They will usually eat anything with milk on it as long as it is soft enough for them, until they get used to eating versus suckling. I would hold off on the meat for now. Good luck to you and your pup.

Best Answer

A few years ago I had a rott that got mastitis, a deadly milk infection that killed half her litter. I was down to five, 5 days old pups so I rushed her to the vet to see the problem. The vet stuck his finger into one of the pups mouth and said "Well, they are hungry!"

So, I took them home and put them on milk puppy milk replacer for about 2 weeks. They accepted the bottle right away as if they knew what happen! then after that I put them on goats milk and egg mixed together for about another week then weened them on puppy chow. I made it into a groul or anotherwords mushy. I don't know how I did it working a job and raising pups but I did and sold them for 250.00 each when they were 8 weeks old! Good luck with yours.

I have a 5 week old Blue Nose Pit Bull. I just got him yesterday. The ones who sold him to me told me that he liked milk with Puppy Chow. We tried feeding him Puppy Chow with warm water, but he refused to eat it.

I have read that milk is bad for puppies and can cause diarrhea. But milk is all he wants to drink. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Puppies should stay with their mother for at least 8-10 weeks for the best mother's nutrition, proper development and care, and play with siblings. I hope the seller did not sell you such a young puppy that may be sick or have a difficult and possibly expensive medical problem.

The puppy wants only milk because that is what his mother gave him and he is not ready for solid food. However, as you have the puppy now, the most important plan is to immediately purchase puppy formula at a pet store and follow the instructions carefully.

The next on the list is to take your puppy to a veterinarian now to check his development, medical status and future requirements, and any possible problems he may have. The best (and least expensive) medical care is preventative medical care.

There are many online sites that provide excellent information on raising puppies. However, there are many books that provide much more important information to raise a successful and well-behaved dog. The site below will provide some information for now. Good Luck!!!:

healthypets.mercola.com/.../raise-your-puppy-to-be-a-confident...

What can I feed my 5 week old Bull Terrier puppies? Their mom wants to bite them, because when they want to drink milk they bite her.

By CJ

Answers

Best Answer

You can start weaning them from the mom. Feed them wet dog food mixed with a little puppy food and a little warm water until it is smooth.

They should begin to eat this, and also you might need to separate them from mom during the day if they keep trying to nurse.

Blessings, Robyn

I have a 5 week old Yorkie Poo puppy that was given to me yesterday because she was orphaned by the mother. How do I care for her? I have been trying to bottle feed her formula, but she will not eat!

What is the best food to feed a 5 week puppy?

By Ty from NY