Feeding a 4 Week Old Puppy

Very young puppies can be given goat's milk or special puppy formulas available at pet stores. As they mature these liquids can be mixed with puppy kibbles and blended or softened depending on their age. This is a page about feeding a 4 week old puppy.

I have a 1 month old puppy that doesn't want milk anymore and wants to eat my older dog's dry food. I've already tried to mix in some puppy chow with her milk, but she won't take the milk she only wants dry food. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Double check with your vet on this one, because the mothers milk (or mothers milk replacement) (now cows milk for dogs--it can cause all kinds of digestive issues) has nutrients the pup needs until about 6-8 weeks.

The older dog's food may also not have the right nutrients for the pup...you may want to see if the vet can suggest a good pup dry food...I haven't had a pup that young in years so I am not sure what the good brand are these days as things change so fast.

Nutrition is critical to development (just like in human babies) so I suggest the vet's advice should be what is followed so the wee one gets the best start possible!!

Vaccines are critical also!! Parvo is terrifying!!

Post back how things go!! Hugs to the pup!! Prayers to all!!

Best Answer

I think I would look for a puppy chow for this puppy. They need the extra nutrition at this point. You may want to talk it over with your Vet. It is time to discuss vaccinations with them. Whatever you do, do not skip his parvo shots. You can add a little water to his kibble to soften it but it really sounds like you dont need to.

My Pit Bull had her first litter of pups and was caring for and nursing them fine. But this week she no longer wants to sit and nurse them until they get full, so I started to feed them puppy food, and they seem fine.

Are they gonna be okay?

By Angel

Answers

Best Answer

At four weeks weaning usually begins by offering the puppies a slurry of puppy formula and kibble. The solid food is soaked in the formula or a food processor is used to make "smoothies". Pour the mix onto a large flat pan with a low rim, feed the puppies 4 times day.
Five weeks: the mixture should be like cooked oatmeal.
Six weeks: the mixture has chunks of solid food for them to begin chewing.
Seven weeks: the kibble is soaked in formula before serving so it is slightly softened.
Eight to ten weeks: sprinkle powdered formula over kibble and add warm water just before serving.

My Pit Bull puppy is 4 weeks old going on 5 weeks. My question is, do I still have to feed him goat milk? And I want to start him on wild life dog food, but what kind is the right one?

Answers

Best Answer

If he's doing well on the goat milk, keep up with it. He can drink it until 8 weeks. Then feed soft food. If you don't, you risk him getting diarrhea that won't easily go away. If he seems to be hungry all the time you can supplement feedings with a little softened, very high quality dog food, but not the cheap stuff.

Do you mean Taste of The Wild or Wilderness? I'm not familiar with Wild Life.

My puppy is 4 weeks old and the mother has passed away. I need help on how to take care of her please.

Answers

Your puppy can eat and drink from a saucer at this age. Ask the vet which formula to get. Feed her warmed canned dog food.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 25, 2018
🎃
🎂
🌻