Feeding a One Month Old Puppy?

I have a 1 month old puppy that doesn't want milk anymore and wants to eat my older dog's dry food. I've already tried to mix in some puppy chow with her milk, but she won't take the milk she only wants dry food. What should I do?

Best Answer

Double check with your vet on this one, because the mothers milk (or mothers milk replacement) (now cows milk for dogs--it can cause all kinds of digestive issues) has nutrients the pup needs until about 6-8 weeks.

The older dog's food may also not have the right nutrients for the pup...you may want to see if the vet can suggest a good pup dry food...I haven't had a pup that young in years so I am not sure what the good brand are these days as things change so fast.

Nutrition is critical to development (just like in human babies) so I suggest the vet's advice should be what is followed so the wee one gets the best start possible!!

Vaccines are critical also!! Parvo is terrifying!!

Post back how things go!! Hugs to the pup!! Prayers to all!!

Best Answer

I think I would look for a puppy chow for this puppy. They need the extra nutrition at this point. You may want to talk it over with your Vet. It is time to discuss vaccinations with them. Whatever you do, do not skip his parvo shots. You can add a little water to his kibble to soften it but it really sounds like you dont need to.

By two months your dog can have dry food. Mix milk or a milk replacement with the dry food to make it wet.

Hi,

Your puppy will be fine. They begin to show in interest in dry food from around three to four weeks old. Let your puppy have the kibble that it wants to eat :)

---Robyn

Thank you!

You are welcome ;)

Sounds like your puppy is growing up fast but still needs different nutrition than what dry dog food for older dogs provides.

Your vet is the best one to tell you what food to try just to make sure she stays healthy.
Your vet will also be able to set up a schedule for her first year shots/vaccinations that are so important.

www.dummies.com/.../

😷
🍂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Feeding-a-One-Month-Old-Puppy.html